Dogomania

Alaskan Klee Kai

Seijun

Does anyone here know anything about Alaskan Klee Kais? Are they actualy a real breed, are they a breed that is still being developed, or are they just another mix/mutt dog that someone decided to give a fancy name so they would sell better?

~Seij

If they are just another mutt, then why do they appear to be a developed breed? What I mean is that they all look similar, and they produce pups that mirror the image of the parents (like how if you breed two pure GSD's, they will have puppies who will mirror the parent dogs in looks/basic behavior because they would be pure GSD's as well). Isn't that basicaly what it is that constitutes a purebred dog? With other designer mutts, such as a labradoodle, they are not developed breeds so one 'labradoodle' may look completely different from another 'labradoodle'.

~Seij

NO NO NO. They are not miniature Alaskan Huskies. Miniature Siberians maybe, burt not Alaskans. Alaskans have too many different breeds in their backrounds to be able to produce a consistent line in such a short period of time. Just because they have a mask doesn't make them "Huskies"of any size. I've seen Poms and Chihuahuas with "masks". Not Huskies. I agree with Hillside- Another designer breed.
Take a look at this purebred pom on Dogster- A mini huskie? Nope.
[url]http://www.dogster.com/dog_page.php?i=22555&j=t[/url]

I finaly got some info from someone who has one. They are rare because they are new (developed in 70's). No new mixes have been put in the breed lately, so since their creation they have been given time to develope and standardize in both looks and temperment. Some may call them a designer dog, but that depends on your deffinition of a designer dog. I consider a designer dog to be a mixed breed dog-with no breed standard and no purebreed developement-to be a designer dog. However if it is consistant in both looks and temperment, and can therefore be called a pure breed of dog, then I do not consider it to be a designer dog-just a new breed. IMO, just because the breed is new doesn't make it a designer dog/breed. All the breeds we have today were new at one time.

~Seij

Well on Designer Dogs (yes I know bad me for watching it but I was curious) they said the dog has been in the making since the 70's and is recognized in a few kennel clubs. It was made with Alaskan huskies, Siberian huskies, Schipperkes, and American Eskimo dogs. Theyve only just in the last several years become known and somewhat popular.

I think theyre cute but serve no purpose so shouldnt have been made. It seems they were only bred for people who wanted huskies but couldnt handle their size.

[url]http://www.alaskankleekai.com[/url] They have some info about the breed and its development.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']
I think theyre cute but serve no purpose so shouldnt have been made. It seems they were only bred for people who wanted huskies but couldnt handle their size.
[/quote]

Well, then they do serve a purpose :) I hate seeing people get a Siberian Husky but end up not being able to handle it. I think the AKK filles that nitche by providing people with a dog that looks like a husky but is small enough to not pose as many problems as a siberian husky. Many dogs serve no purpose other than to be companion animals. That does not make them bad. The Chinese developed several toy breeds who's only purpose was to be a companion animal.

[quote name='Kat']
I am not 100% sure that it is an actual breed just yet.
[/quote]

From their looks, they seem to me to be a pretty well-developed breed. I consider a dog to be a breed when it is developed enough that the offspring it produces will mirror the parents in physical appearence and general temperment, enough so that if I saw one on the street I would recognise what it was without having to ever ask the owner.

I would challenge the physical appearance criterea, especially when applied to Alaskans- a breed that was developed with [u]only[/u] purpose in mind, and appearance having little to do with the equation, except to avoid darker colored dogs as they tend to overheat faster. The three dogs below are full siblings, with a pedigree going back to the early 60's, yet they still resemble ech other only superficially.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDdAs8Yq*3S4PbT220ZzLSZkbnF74EzQj7EnShh6EZh*VjwTJAhCi7sVIAMACX5vrwgOpSL4jGiig1JQ9GCg2ZcTiSzG0XAd8Pgx4cXkspCNFtCQUDB7zmWc6Od7n9d/45057_26.jpg?dc=4675469167105340421[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQCpArka8annNV3Qgu5XnECy9lJ8YsSusm6E5GN21XpQQHOozdeLaLJCQ56r5VW!!s!Zmw!Z0SbyZ1tsGhsx4N98ecjPs*iTTWmK!vMJFoDEyOlc0aVJKnGPsed05BCyhYS4tsEEz5I/5352840-R1-048-22A.jpg?dc=4675459247050077912[/img]