Dogomania

tough new pit bull restrictions

Guest Anonymous

Shenanigans, that is an excellent post.

As for Primm's "law"about unregistered pit bulls - she expects a special task force to be formed, and go from door to door, with portable scanner and ultrasound equipment in hand checking pit bulls for uterii, testicles and microchips. They must also demand registration papers.

In PrimWorld this may be possible, but she is obviously unaquainted with the real world.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='pLaurent']Shenanigans, that is an excellent post.

As for Primm's "law"about unregistered pit bulls - she expects a special task force to be formed, and go from door to door, with portable scanner and ultrasound equipment in hand checking pit bulls for uterii, testicles and microchips. They must also demand registration papers.

In PrimWorld this may be possible, but she is obviously unaquainted with the real world.[/quote]

In PrimWorld, the only registries that count are the AKC and the UKC. She doesn't explain how she's going to get around the inevitable contretemps/lawsuits about other registries, including the old established pit bull registry, the ADBA, and the many thoroughly disreptuable other registries.

Guest Anonymous

edit: Primmy, why does it bother you so much that people post pictures of their pit bulls? On just about every post you have made a snide comment about it, why all the hate?? Do you REALLY think that in the couple of minutes it took us to post our pictures we could have made THAT big of an impact? Do you REALLY beleive we could have done something that people all over the country who are fighting BSL could NOT ? If so....what? Tell us.

Debby[/quote]

Cheeky,

Huh? I am pretty sure that I haven't made a "snide comment" "on just about every post" showing a picture of pit bulls. In fact, I hardly ever respond to pictures. This is partly because this board loads too slowly for me to post a "what a cute doggie" response to every picture posted. Since (like everybody else, I suppose) I think virtually every dog is cute, I don't find those responses to be all that meaningful, anyway. (when is the last time you have posted in response to a picture and said "that is one unattractive dog...?). If it makes you happy, you can just assume that if I looked at a picture of a pit bull (or any other dog) I am thinking "what a cute doggie."

What I did object to (and what you are obviously still feeling defensive about) was you posting pictures of your pit bulls and being all sarcastic about the notion that they were aggressive. Remember how you titled your pictures "my murderously aggressive pit bulls?" That was supposed to be sarcasm, right? You meant people to think that your pit bulls are NOT dangerously aggressive, right? But it turns out that your two pit bulls ARE dangerously aggressive toward each other, to the extent that they can't be in the same room together even with supervision. So, despite the fact that there are pictures that show them NOT trying to kill other animals, they have a dangerous aggression problem.

After all, there are lots of pictures of Ted Bundy with women and none of them show him killing them. Does that mean he wasn't murderous?

primrose

[quote name='primorse']edit: Primmy, why does it bother you so much that people post pictures of their pit bulls? On just about every post you have made a snide comment about it, why all the hate?? Do you REALLY think that in the couple of minutes it took us to post our pictures we could have made THAT big of an impact? Do you REALLY beleive we could have done something that people all over the country who are fighting BSL could NOT ? If so....what? Tell us.

Debby

Cheeky,

Huh? I am pretty sure that I haven't made a "snide comment" "on just about every post" showing a picture of pit bulls. In fact, I hardly ever respond to pictures. This is partly because this board loads too slowly for me to post a "what a cute doggie" response to every picture posted. Since (like everybody else, I suppose) I think virtually every dog is cute, I don't find those responses to be all that meaningful, anyway. (when is the last time you have posted in response to a picture and said "that is one unattractive dog...?). If it makes you happy, you can just assume that if I looked at a picture of a pit bull (or any other dog) I am thinking "what a cute doggie."

What I did object to (and what you are obviously still feeling defensive about) was you posting pictures of your pit bulls and being all sarcastic about the notion that they were aggressive. Remember how you titled your pictures "my murderously aggressive pit bulls?" That was supposed to be sarcasm, right? You meant people to think that your pit bulls are NOT dangerously aggressive, right? But it turns out that your two pit bulls ARE dangerously aggressive toward each other, to the extent that they can't be in the same room together even with supervision. So, despite the fact that there are pictures that show them NOT trying to kill other animals, they have a dangerous aggression problem.

After all, there are lots of pictures of Ted Bundy with women and none of them show him killing them. Does that mean he wasn't murderous?

primrose[/quote]

No Primmy, Ted Bundy actually MUREDERED someone, he was EXECUTED for it after a TRIAL in which he was found to be GUILTY. My dogs have not. In fact they have never been a "dangerously aggressive" towards ANY other dog but each other. I handle that just fine, it is not a problem for me or my family. YOU are the only one who seems to have a problem with it. Yes, my dogs do not like each other, yes they are pit bulls. What is your point?

This board doesn't load slowely, it's your ISP.

[quote]Actually, I assume that people HAVE been "actively campaigning" against the passage of this law. That is, they have been writing letters and emailing each other and showing people pictures of cute pit bulls. I don't doubt the ability of the pit bull community to do that. [/quote]

This isn't a snide comment towards people posting pictures of pit bulls on message boards? if not, explain what you mean by it.

Debby[/quote]

Oh and let me correct something, my dogs have NEVER been dangerously aggressive towards each other. They do not like each other. I use COMMON SENSE and seperate them to PREVENT them from becoming dangerously aggressive towards each other. It is called PREVENTION. I know, there are those big words again. You still did not answer my question, Do you REALLY think that in the couple of minutes it took us to post our pictures we could have made THAT big of an impact? Do you REALLY beleive we could have done something that people all over the country who are fighting BSL could NOT ? If so....what? Tell us.

Although Munkee DID bite Justice one time, it was hardly dangerous aggression. It was a bite to show his displeasure with her being there. Nothing more, nothing less. In order to PREVENT any future problems, they are seperated. They don't mind it one bit. Matter of fact, neither do I. Only YOU have the problem

Debby

Just when I thought P-ness couldn't get any nuttier or more hysterical, I find pit bulls being compared to prolific serial killer Ted Bundy. Wow. Get a grip, Primorse!!

Oh, I forgot that you call one animal killing another "murder". Sorry about that. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Speaking of the ADBA, I actually called their offices to ask about the number of pit bull registrations in 2003.

I had heard it was about 200,000 but I didn't know where my friend had come up with this information.

I asked the guy on the phone how many registrations they'd had.

Him: We don't give out that information
Me: But it's in the 6 figures?
Him: Oh, yeah - it's well into the six figures
Me: WELL into the 6 figures? How well into the 6 figures are we talking about?
Him: Uh.... who is this?
Me: I'm with Bad Rap. We're a pit bull rescue, and I'm just trying to get a handle on the overpopulation problem. So I wanted to know how many dogs you registered.
Him: Uh... well, we don't give out that information.
Me: But you just told me that it was well into the six figures. I'd heard that it was about 200,000.
Him: Where'd you hear that?
Me: A friend told me.
Him: Well, I don't know where she got that information, but that's a pretty good guess.
Me: But you said "well into" the six figures. So does that mean that it's more than 200,000?
Him: Sorry, I can't tell you.

So, we know that the goddamned ADBA registered *at least* 200,000 pit bulls in 2003. Cheeeeerrrrriiiiiiiisssssst!

I will also point out that Marin County has a law that mandates that breeders obtain a license. This is a wealthy county with basically zero crime, and frankly the cops don't have anything to do other than bust jaywalkers. This law could easily be enforced.

Guess what? It's not.

Why? Because this law was aimed to prevent puppymills. There is simply no way to overload a court system by prosecuting every BYB that pops out a litter. Hell, I doubt they'd even bother prosecuting an actual kennel. They're way too busy making sure that Sausalito residents don't go 43 in a 35 and scare the tourists.

[quote name='pLaurent']Shenanigans, that is an excellent post.

In PrimWorld this may be possible, but she is obviously unaquainted with the real world.[/quote]

Well, they can feel my dogs up if they want to but I think it only fair they buy them dinner first.

Debby

[quote]Well, they can feel my dogs up if they want to but I think it only fair they buy them dinner first. [/quote]

Just dinner? What tarty dogs you have! ;) But who am I to talk, Shenanigans will give out a grope for a cookie!

[quote]Heck YES you can have chips! We lazy pit bull bums LOVE to share our chips with EVERYONE! *Passes Shenanigans some chips*[/quote]

Ahhh much obliged, if any of you pit bums want to come over for BBQ, you're free to. Just bring black fly spray. *G*

Guest Anonymous

No Primmy, Ted Bundy actually MUREDERED someone, he was EXECUTED for it after a TRIAL in which he was found to be GUILTY. My dogs have not. In fact they have never been a "dangerously aggressive" towards ANY other dog but each other. I handle that just fine, it is not a problem for me or my family. YOU are the only one who seems to have a problem with it. Yes, my dogs do not like each other, yes they are pit bulls. What is your point?

This board doesn't load slowely, it's your ISP.

[quote]Actually, I assume that people HAVE been "actively campaigning" against the passage of this law. That is, they have been writing letters and emailing each other and showing people pictures of cute pit bulls. I don't doubt the ability of the pit bull community to do that. [/quote]

This isn't a snide comment towards people posting pictures of pit bulls on message boards? if not, explain what you mean by it.

Debby[/quote][/quote]

Cheekymunkee,

I gather from your continuing defensiveness that you are misunderstanding my point. I am NOT criticizing you for separating your dogs. You do what you have to do to keep your dogs safe, and since there are few (i.e. pretty much no) homes for adult, dog aggressive pit bulls, your options are limited even if you were going to rehome one of them (which I am not suggesting, either). Most of us are aware of how a sad a dog who is closely bonded to his owner can be when separated, so none of us is probably surprised that one of your dogs "howled like a hound" when separated from you and that you found the situation heartbreaking. It is a tough situation any way you cut it and you are a great example to potential pit bull owners who think that they will live with pit bulls harmoniously in multiple dog households. It very well might not happen and you might spend lots of time shuffling dogs from one containment to another and lots of time feeling guilty about banishing dogs to back rooms.

I objected to your original post simply because it implied the opposite--that aggression toward other animals in pit bulls (and even more particularly in the two pit bulls pictured) is NOT problematic and that thinking that it ipit bull aggression toward other animals is a serious problem is an appropriate object of sarcasm.

Actually, no, I wasn't being snide about posting cute pictures of pit bulls being something that pit bull people do to counter breed bans. (Nor emails, nor organizing). I don't personally feel it is going to do much to hold back the tide, but it can't hurt.

My point is that the things that I do not for a second doubt the pit bull community is doing seem mostly aimed at convincing decision makers that there really isn't a pit bull problem, not about actually addressing the real problems that pit bulls have and cause. And I think that is ultimately a losing strategy, because there IS a real pit bull problem.

Maybe I am wrong about this. I haven't read this whole thread yet, and maybe people are saying all the concrete things that they are doing to actually change how pit bulls are treated, rather than just how they are perceived.

It isn't my breeds that are being banned. But somebody here has a signature line that says something like "Every bad thing your pit bull does endangers MY right to own a pit bull." Similarly, every bad thing your dog does endangers my right to own dogs and my freedoms with my dogs. If you want me not to notice (and comment on) that, then stop arguing against being held to a different standard than owners of other breeds of dog (i.e. stop arguing against breed specific legislation). Unless you agree to being held to different standards than other dog owners, then I have every right to put in my two cents about how breeding dog aggressive dogs (for example) endangers my right to legal off leash areas for dogs.

primrose

I dont have any Pit Bull's, but I'll take some chips, caramel corn and wine please. Do I have to scratch my butt? I'd rather not....

I have fought, written, emailed and let my OPINION BE KNOWN on this whole issue. AND I DONT OWN A PIT BULL!!!!

AND I DONT APPRECIATE BEING TOLD, PRIM, THAT I AM SITTING ON MY ASS DOING NOTHING. Go get YOUR OWN CHIPS and find something else to do. OUTSIDE OF MY SPACE, please.....you are amazingly aggravating, y'know that? and I am SURE you are doing it on purpose.

just wants to stir the pot some more.....

Hey! stir the pot! I'll make BEEF STEW tonight! you're all invited!!!

:drinking:

Prim, could you *pretty please* learn to use the "QUOTE" feature on this board?

The fact that you are unable to master it is making your posts even more nonsensical than usual.

I'm sure if you ask politely, someone on this board will explain it to you in simple terms.

Thank you for your cooperation.:)

And I'm sure it's very kind of you to worry about cheekymunkee's dogs, who are suffering so much in her home, but really, between all the time you spend Googling yourself for tragic pit bull stories, and the time you spend writing book length posts full of ...repetitive crapola - how do you have time to lavish attention on your Wombat and your Bulgarian Downsnout??

[quote]Googling yourself [/quote]

:megagrin:

Is that any thing like diddling yourself?

[quote]It is a tough situation any way you cut it and you are a great example to potential pit bull owners who think that they will live with pit bulls harmoniously in multiple dog households. [/quote]

Primmy.......you really should not obsess about my dogs. They are very happy, one of them is lying at my feet while Ollie chews on her ears. Munkee, thank you for worrying so much about him...he's fine....really, is in my brother's room right now, munching on cheetos....don't fret, Justice had some earlier, Ollie declines, she's more of a fritos girl. Sorry, but I see nothing that should make me feel guilty here. I don't THINK I can live harmoniously..........I AM. As are may pit bull owners AND owners of other animal aggressive dogs. Imagine that.

As for what I do about the pit bull plight, I have answered that question on this thread [url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=13704[/url] . To add to what I have already posted, every dog that I have ever owned has been spayed or neutered. I have never had a litter of puppies of any kind in my home. I do not support BYBers, I do support adoption,although I have not adopted a dog from a rescue I do contribute to pit bull rescues when I can, I have sponsored dogs at Spindletop & when they had a tragic fire recently I sent them a check that I really could not afford to send. I have sent money to Pitcrew Rescue in Ontario. This is a very dear Internet friend of mine who runs a rescue BY herself with no donations of sponsorship. We help her out when we can. I also contribute to this organization [url]http://www.operationkindness.org/[/url] which is not pit bull specific. I try to educate about the breed & responsible ownership. I have encouraged people who I thought would make good owners, discouraged others and actually STOLE a dog from my friends son to re home because he was planning to breed her. No need to worry, Munkee was only 5 months old & didn't mind having a play mate. I re homed her & she is now spayed, fat & happy as a clam. I have supported laws in my state to make animal abuse a felony, they passed. I have encouraged owners of bad dogs to have them PTS, as I have with ALL breeds of dogs. Of course, I'm SURE you know this from reading my posts on Pit bull Pets. I have used my dogs to change the minds of many people who were wary about the breed. I work with an older lady who is TERRIFIED of ALL dogs. I have brought my dogs to work for short visits on many occasions & have never bothered her with my dogs. A couple of months ago Justice was at work with me, Marion came into my office to give me a report & ran into Justice. At first she was uncomfortable but as soon as Justice layed at her feet for a belly rub she could not resist her sweet little face & soon she was cooing her & petting her & fell in love. Today she brought me cookies that she had baked to take home to my dogs. I call THAT success, no matter how small it may seem to you.

There are problems with this breed as there are with others, but it is the OWNERS that are causing the problems. Banning and destroying the breed (which is what BSL is all about) is not going to cause the owner problem to go away. They will move on to other breeds, if not Wombats. It doesn't take rocket science to figure it out. It has happened over & over, in MY life time the "devil dogs" have been German Shepherds, Chows, Dobies, Rotties & now Pit Bulls. It really all depends on what the media's idea of the "Bad Dog of the Year " is. THAT is what REALLY breaks my heart, seeing a breed of dog that I have lived my entire LIFE loving being destroyed. My dogs very well may become extinct in the next few decades & it pisses me off. As it should ANY animal lover. How much money has been spent to save INSECTS while they systematically try to destroy my breed is beyond me. It boggles my mind.

I am through answering your questions in regards to my dogs & myself. I have been fairly patient with you & have answered all of your questions in regards to my dogs well being and my ability to be a pit bull owner. I have noticed that you continually skip over any questions that I ask you. I don't make a habit of talking to walls & actually I have spent WAY more time on you than I ever have any one.

Pitcrews website, in case any one is wondering.

[url]http://www.pitbulldogs.org/[/url]

Oh and Ollie says that it REALLY hurts her feelings that you never ask about her, after all SHE is the most dog aggressive animal in my house. She starts more crap than both of the pit bulls put together. Here is her picture

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQCFAskZjT8QVsS3LLkNRkcLJ1G2X9G7Duj20hNYzG1ygZ7lccrbYPL1t6DShgbFWvU2xqpbddmOVEIxDZU!nBUu!Ry0tDVyANLnaG*GT5hxDLV*DBvpLk6pIB!peGWW/pretty.jpg?dc=4675475944918004681[/img]

Debby

And yet it moves from one closed topic to another...Can't take a very clear "hint"? :roll:

[quote name='primorse']

Cheekymunkee,

I gather from your continuing defensiveness that you are misunderstanding my point. I am NOT criticizing you for separating your dogs. You do what you have to do to keep your dogs safe, and since there are few (i.e. pretty much no) homes for adult, dog aggressive pit bulls, your options are limited even if you were going to rehome one of them (which I am not suggesting, either). Most of us are aware of how a sad a dog who is closely bonded to his owner can be when separated, so none of us is probably surprised that one of your dogs "howled like a hound" when separated from you and that you found the situation heartbreaking. It is a tough situation any way you cut it and you are a great example to potential pit bull owners who think that they will live with pit bulls harmoniously in multiple dog households. It very well might not happen and you might spend lots of time shuffling dogs from one containment to another and lots of time feeling guilty about banishing dogs to back rooms.

I objected to your original post simply because it implied the opposite--that aggression toward other animals in pit bulls (and even more particularly in the two pit bulls pictured) is NOT problematic and that thinking that it ipit bull aggression toward other animals is a serious problem is an appropriate object of sarcasm.

Actually, no, I wasn't being snide about posting cute pictures of pit bulls being something that pit bull people do to counter breed bans. (Nor emails, nor organizing). I don't personally feel it is going to do much to hold back the tide, but it can't hurt.

My point is that the things that I do not for a second doubt the pit bull community is doing seem mostly aimed at convincing decision makers that there really isn't a pit bull problem, not about actually addressing the real problems that pit bulls have and cause. And I think that is ultimately a losing strategy, because there IS a real pit bull problem.

Maybe I am wrong about this. I haven't read this whole thread yet, and maybe people are saying all the concrete things that they are doing to actually change how pit bulls are treated, rather than just how they are perceived.

It isn't my breeds that are being banned. But somebody here has a signature line that says something like "Every bad thing your pit bull does endangers MY right to own a pit bull." Similarly, every bad thing your dog does endangers my right to own dogs and my freedoms with my dogs. If you want me not to notice (and comment on) that, then stop arguing against being held to a different standard than owners of other breeds of dog (i.e. stop arguing against breed specific legislation). Unless you agree to being held to different standards than other dog owners, then I have every right to put in my two cents about how breeding dog aggressive dogs (for example) endangers my right to legal off leash areas for dogs.

[b]primeroast[/b][/quote]

[b]Don't ban the pits! Ban the beef![/b] :lol: :lol: :lol: Or is that the "bull" you're really working on getting banned roast beef?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='pLaurent']Prim, could you *pretty please* learn to use the "QUOTE" feature on this board?

The fact that you are unable to master it is making your posts even more nonsensical than usual.

I'm sure if you ask politely, someone on this board will explain it to you in simple terms.

Thank you for your cooperation.:)

And I'm sure it's very kind of you to worry about cheekymunkee's dogs, who are suffering so much in her home, but really, between all the time you spend Googling yourself for tragic pit bull stories, and the time you spend writing book length posts full of ...repetitive crapola - how do you have time to lavish attention on your Wombat and your Bulgarian Downsnout??[/quote]

I think I know how to use the quote button. Sometimes I am responding to posts that are quoting me, or posts quoting somebody else who is quoting sombody else, so that makes it a bit more confusing. Anyway, I'll try harder. Let's see if this one works.

As to the time I spend with my dogs, not to worry. The Wombat earned seven AKC titles last year. She is an exceptional dog, but not so exceptional that she could earn seven titles without spending more than a bit of time with me.

primrose

Guest Anonymous

Pitbull Emily writes:

In PrimWorld, the only registries that count are the AKC and the UKC. She doesn't explain how she's going to get around the inevitable contretemps/lawsuits about other registries, including the old established pit bull registry, the ADBA, and the many thoroughly disreptuable other registries

[i] I strongly doubt that the ADBA would be suing anybody, since I doubt that their members generally want to attract the attention of governmental bodies. Wouldn't you agree that lots and lots of dog fighters register dogs with the ADBA, and the ADBA does nothing to clean its ranks of them? Indeed, we have heard of groups of dog fighters going directly from ADBA conformation shows to dog fights held at people's houses.

The best name for an ADBA registered pit bull, I think, would be RICO. Heehee.

Even if the ADBA did object, the objections wouldn't hold water. As I actually have explained before, pitbullEmily, there isn't anything that says that laws can't be passed that regulate organizations if there is a good reason for it. Gun control laws banning saturday night specials typically include brand names of guns that are banned entirely. Drugs are highly regulated based what they are. Pit bulls can be banned entirely (as we have seen, many places) and it would be equally possible to ban unregistered pit bulls. If it is allowable to ban them entirely, it is certainly less intrusive to require that they be spayed/neutered.

primrose

[/i][/b]

[quote]I objected to your original post simply because it implied the opposite--that aggression toward other animals in pit bulls (and even more particularly in the two pit bulls pictured) is NOT problematic and that thinking that it ipit bull aggression toward other animals is a serious problem is an appropriate object of sarcasm. [/quote]
this is where YOU are missing the point. i highly doubt that this was the intention of ckeeky's post. more likely is that she was poking fun at the idea that ALL pit bulls are horrible killing beasts that attack and maim anything and everything. as rediculous as it seems many people feel this way. ckeeky was simply sharing a cute picture that proves that some pit bulls can and do get along with other animals.

you really need to get a better hobby.

[quote]As to the time I spend with my dogs, not to worry. The Wombat earned seven AKC titles last year. She is an exceptional dog, but not so exceptional that she could earn seven titles without spending more than a bit of time with me[/quote]

Primmy, Primmy, Primmy............this is the internet, ANY ONE CAN SAY ANYTHING, it's proving it that is the hard part, well for YOU anyway. But without knowing who your dog really is, that is all BS. If you want to make such claims, be PROUD of your dog & prove to us how great of a trainer you are, how wonderful your dogs are. I can make the same claim (through UKC) however it would be a lie so what would be the point?

Debby

[quote]Primmy, Primmy, Primmy............this is the internet, ANY ONE CAN SAY ANYTHING, it's proving it that is the hard part, [/quote]

Indeed, I can say Shenanigans has several titles in French Ring. However unless they change the rules that the dog is allowed to just fling slime at the challenger, well I don't think my dog stands a chance of earning a title. However if I had no intentions of proving it, I could probably just as easily say so.

The really illuminating item of this discussion is that I've offered dialogue to really discuss finding a solution to irresponsible breeders and owners, and Primrose rather spend the time being argumentative. Oh well, at least I tried.

[quote]Indeed, I can say Shenanigans has several titles in French Ring. However unless they change the rules that the dog is allowed to just fling slime at the challenger, well I don't think my dog stands a chance of earning a title. However if I had no intentions of proving it, I could probably just as easily say so.
[/quote]

My dogs hold SEVERAL titles as Champion Bed Holder Downers. My walls are LINED with ribbons & trophies but I will NEVER show them to you because then you would know were I lived & you would make fun of my dogs & hurt my feelings & you would stalk me. You'll just ALL have to take my word for it.

Debby

oh yea, and mine all hold title for being the most "aggravating during a neighborhood barkfest" since neither if them will shut up long after all the other dogs have stopped. And Laurel's bay in those circumstances, long, drawn out and very annoying, always gets first place.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

[quote name='pLaurent']OH yeah? Well MY dog has won EIGHT titles as the most Diligent Crumbsucker Kitchen dog.:)

Primmy, wombats cannot enter dog competitions. You aren't being truthful, are you?[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe she could enter a marsupial show with the wombats? arent they marsupials?

:lol: :lol: