Dogomania

Rarest Breed You've Met

Shenanigans

Here's an interesting question. What is the rarest single breed you've ever encountered. Obviously it's going to differ area to area, for example, I've met hundreds of Tollers where they may be non-existant in other parts of the world, so if you give your location (if not mentioned in your avatar spot) that would be neat too.

For myself it would be a Boykin Spaniel named Camilla or a Berger de Picard (he was named Jean-Luc to boot lol) I'm in Toronto and met both in Toronto.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

i met a vizsla which i think is pretty kewl. i remember thinking that i needed to get one asap. specially cuz this viz was a puppy. :iloveyou: i think i actually have 2 picz of my meeting with her. she was such a qt!!!! her name was roxy and i think that is a gr8 name!!! :biggrina::Fade-color

Guest Anonymous

LOL...Kat that dog's coat isn't neglected. They have coats like that...look up "Komodor"..they're similar in appearance but larger...their coats are supposed to be like dreadlocks and not meant to be brushed...however I suppose they could trim them to be as short as they want....

Guest Anonymous

I'm close to Mei (Across the river from her)

The woman who does the Petsmart training has 3 Leonbergers (Fia, Miphisto and Annie)

There was a Newf in my mom's obedience class YEARS ago along with a Mastiff.

I foster Anatolians but only one of those has come from Louisiana.

I've actually met and petted one Crested.

A family has three Berners of course when I was friends with their daughter all they had were labs.

I also met a Slovak Cuvac.

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/slovenskycuvac.htm[/url]
(Edited to correct the name. I remembered what it was)

A gal in our agility club has several Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs. Both of my girls think her Gus is the epitiome of studliness and flirt with him every chance they get.
I've met a couple of Leonbergers as well as a number of Bernese Mountain Dogs, also a couple of Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs.
I've seen one Anatolian at a show.
Some years ago, a woman ran agility with her Swedish Vallhund.
Another couple I know from agility has Polish Lowland Sheepdogs.
I've seen a few Beaucerons here and there.

Use to walk with this lady at the dog park that also have a Leonbuger... I always remember the breed as "soemthing with hamburger" :wink: .

Anyway, I also use to see this dog in the dog park that looks just like a mini-dobie, but the guy say it's a manchester terrier... super fast & hyper dog that chases my dobie around. Other more rare breed (not sure if its really rare) I've seen are Newfy, ridgeback, vizlas, blue heeler, besenji, pyrenees, GS mountain dog, Irish wolfhound, italian greyhound, and Kuvasz. There might be a few others that I can't remember.

Dog park, they got lots of varieties!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mei-Mei'][quote]I'm close to Mei (Across the river from her)

The woman who does the Petsmart training has 3 Leonbergers (Fia, Miphisto and Annie)
[/quote]

Is that the Petsmart on the Westbank, Tammy? Cause I'd love to see a Leonberger up close. :)[/quote]

She used to be over here she's not at the store in Kenner off of Vets (It's right next to a Babies R Us)

My favorite is her male Miphisto. Annie is sweet but a bit more of a momma's girl. Phisto is a love bug. I'll look to see if I can find my picture of him with my youngest.

[quote name='katetsai']Other more rare breed (not sure if its really rare) I've seen are Newfy, ridgeback, vizlas, blue heeler, besenji, pyrenees, GS mountain dog, Irish wolfhound, italian greyhound, and Kuvasz[/quote]

Hmmm... Ive seen all of those except a GS mountain dog, and a Newfie. The others arent really rare in my area. In fact, Great Pyrs are VERY common in Dallas it seems like. So are blue heelers and red ones too. My friend has a Viszla and I see ridgebacks a lot. Itailian greyhounds I see every once in a while. Basenjis are very cute! They come into Petsmart once in a while.

Anyway, the rareest breed Ive ever seen? Uh... well I did see a Chinese Crested once at Petsmart. Oh and a Cane Corso. My fav that I saw once was a 250 lb Mastiff. Its face was so slobbery and wrinkled. I loved it! :D Ive only seen a Keeshond once around here but saw them once in a while and even knew someone who owned one in Northwest Indiana.

Its amazing how different areas have different dogs. In my area it seems like the most popular dogs overall in the U.S. are rare and rare dogs are popular here.

Another rare breed to see here is the ABPT. Well I see them ALL the time actually and is what I most often see, very popular BUT a well-bred one, not mixed, and fits standard now that is VERY rare. I saw a pit who weighed over 100lbs! :o A lot of people around here especially in west Dallas fight pits. :cry: :evil:

Almost forgot, I saw a German Pinscher at an agility match once.
I've seen quite a few Schipperkes, even met an old female on our trip to Michigan. The guy was surpised that I recognized the breed, I walked over with Jesse and said well here is a Belgian 'cousin' as both breeds are Belgian in origin.
There is a powder puff Chinese Crested that comes to the dog park along with her Schipp companion.
There is also a young female Dutch Shepherd that comes to the park, I really thought she was a Malinios at first glance. She had very little brindling at first but she is darkening up as she matures.

We actually have 3 (rare to our geographical location) breeds which come in for grooming. We have a Havanese which comes in to be groomed its the only one in our province. A Polish Lowland Sheepdog; also the only one of its kind in our area. And we have a Coton de Tulear which comes in for grooming.
I also met a Fila Brasileiro which was just a pup and already quite aggressive. The owner had to put the dog down due to aggression problems. When I went to see it the owner had the pup in a crate and it was tearing & ripping at the front of the enclosure in quite a heightened aggressive state when it saw me...or anyone else for that matter. The owner lived by himself and the pup was good with him...but, he still had to have it euthanized. There went his $10,000.00 dollars down the drain. :-?
I of course have met alot of rare to my area breeds at shows throughout Canada and the States.

Its really neat how some breeds which are a dime a dozen in some areas such as Newf's and Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retrievers are very popular in my area are rare in other areas. The most common breeds in my area are of course Lab's, Golden Retrievers, Newfoundland dogs and NSDT's.

Yes I have met a Sarplannanic Shepard. My friend actually owns one!! His name is Uri. I think he's 8 months old now and 120lbs. He is sooo sweet and his coat is the softest coat in the world!
this is a pic of him
[url]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v181/allamericanpup/Uri.jpg[/url]

i've also met a ridgeback, a shiba inu, and a cane corso

Guest Anonymous

Let's see, I met a Berner a while ago. And today I met my first English Mastiff at Petsmart. I've never seen one around here before. He was soooo sweet. Makes me want one even more! :D But really that's about it. Everyone around here seems to have labs and goldens, nothing wrong with that of course, they're just not "rare". Not here anyway! :lol:

Well, it is very funny to hear whats popular in different spots of the world. The most popular dogs here are shelties, goldens, german sheppards, and labs.

Some breeds that I have not seen alot of around here ( but have seen atleast one of) are: Presa Canario (lol), Dogue de Bordeuax, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Nova Scotia Duck Toller ( Im so sorry if thats not the correct name of the breed, but I know its something like that...he he), Staffordshire bull terrier, Bull Terrier, Newfoundland, Portugese Water dog ( I think thats what their called..)

I think thats about it.