Dogomania

Brushing Dog's Teeth

katetsai

Question about toothpaste... I've just started again to brush my dog's teeth to get rid of her bad breath, and oh yeah, i'm suppose to. I am wondering if using the toothpaste (for example: colgate) is bad for the dog? I put a very tiny bit on the toothbrush and brush her teeth with it, then she'll swallon/lick whatever is left. is shouldn't be a big deal right?

Hi there :)
I wouldn't be too concerned; I don't think toothpaste is that bad for dogs (but don't quote me on this). I have brushed my dog's teeth with people toothpaste before and he's still kicking :P however I know you can get doggy toothpaste that's flavoured with chicken and stuff which might be more palatable. I prefer to give him a nice big raw bone than get in his mouth and fiddle with a toothbrush and I think he prefers it too, surprise surprise! :lol:

[quote]YES it is bad for dogs. We aren't allowed to let small children SWALLOW the toothpaste. And since dogs can't spit, they must swallow it.[/quote]

Yes, but people brush their teeth two or three times a day. I doubt anyone brushes their dog's teeth that often. So the little bit of toothpaste swallowed once a week or so will not do any harm.

My goal was to brush her teeth once a day(I know, very ambitious), since that's what the vet recommand. I'm thinking if I ended up doing it once a week long term, I'll be so pround of myself :) . Snoopy already do get small raw-hide once a day, but that does no help for her breath :cry: .

so sounds like to be on the safe side, I should just get doggie tooth paste.

I go for the raw bones, My dogs hate when i try to brush their teeth, that's why i do it two times a week. I've seen some products for dog breath, i've never tried them, like treats and bones, Have someone tried them?

I agree that a VERY small amount of human toothpaste swallowed by your dog will most likely do not harm. I believe the biggest threat is an upset stomach. I would opt to use doggie toothpaste, 'TASTES LIKE CHEEKIN!' 8) In addition to the flavor, it has enzymes that human toothpaste does not have, enzymes that are supposed to help break down the plaque and bacteria particular to a dogs mouth.
My dogs must be weird, they will push and shove to get closer to me when I bring out the toothbrush and paste. I use a Crest Spinbrush, all 3 accept it quite willingly and love the paste.

Why can't I use human toothpast on my dog?

There are many wonderful brands and types of toothpaste for humans. Why can't we use them on dogs? Because dogs do not spit, and human
toothpaste is not edible. Your dog will most definately swallow whatever you use to clean his teeth. You can purchase an edible toothpaste, just for dogs, at any pet store. There are many flavors available. Try to find one that your dog likes; your dog will be more likely to let you brush his teeth. A nice beefy brushing will be a tasty treat for your dog.

[quote]where can I get the raw bones? are you talking about the bones that's at pet store that usually have stuff in the middle? or are you talking about actual super market people food raw bone?[/quote]

Those pet store bones are usually smoked, very expensive and not particularly good for dogs.

I get raw bones at the supermarket - marrow (shanks) or beef ribs. If you can find knuckle bones, they are good as well! The marrow bones should be no longer than 4-6 inches, so your dog can get all the marrow out.

I never brush my dog's teeth - except when she has been snacking in the litter box, and she hates the brushing so much she has given up the Kitty Crunchies - and her teeth are in great shape. :D

alright, I caved as usual, and went out today to get the doggie toothpaste. It's the only one they got at target, nothing special, i.e. no flavor. Sounds like there are better one out there, i.e. with yummie flavor, besides the boring toothpaste I got. so chances are I'll be at the pet store sometime today to get the good stuff, can't have my princess suffere with the boring stuff.

Guest Anonymous

katetsai.. I would not brush my dog's teeth with human toothpaste... it contains detergents which can harm the animal's stomach over time, and fluorides..which are harmful for for pets when ingested... there are many good pet toothpastes out on the market..most of them contain water, sorbitol, silica, cellulose gum, Trisodium EDTA, Methylparaben, propylparaben, and titanium dioxide. They can be swallowed without having to worry about rincing..

I personally brush my dog's teeth with a pet toothpaste once or twice a week MAX and the rest of the time I'll just use plain water and the toothbrush to get rid of foods and the yellow stuff that starts to build up..also, you can add a bit of baking soda or salt to the water...baking soda is probably better...

Petrodex is a good toothpaste for pets and I've even seen it sold in holistic stores..
Another one is Imrex, which protects the teeth by coating them with a layer that doesn't allow plaque to settle.. you can find alot more in different pet stores...good luck...but please don't use human toothpaste..even if it is ONCE a week..not to mention every day.

You can buy marrow bones from butchers, also feeding chicken necks and wings regulary can help, also lamb off cuts etc. Raw bones are a lot more effective and a lot SAFER than rawhides which can build up in the stomach and cause all sorts of problems - its a wonder they are still sold.

Raw bones unfortunatly as I've just found out, are not a cure all in some breeds. Our big dogs do great, beautiful, shiny white teeth, but tiny little Montie and Cassie still get browning teeth, despite bones every day, so I'm also going to have to check out the "doggie toothpaste". Also there are digestive enzymes in a product called "breath fresh" that you can add to meals, which also breaks down gunk on teeth.

I use dog toothpaste I wouldn't use human toothpaste on them. It's not safe in most human toothpastes they have a degergent in it called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and it's just a good thing to be swallowing.

Mandy and Angel hate to get their teeth brushed especially Angel it's really hard to get into such a small mouth even children's toothbrushes are a bit too big. Mandy was 3 when we adopted her so she just didn't have a clue what a toothbrush was and is getting better but it's still as struggle.

Toto is wonderful he is so easy he just comes running over and loves every minute of it.

Shadow the jury is still out on Shadow I haven't had a serious try yet he still has his baby teeth but I am trying to get him used to the toothbrush so I don't add toothpaste yet.

Thanks for all the info.
I've stop by the store (where I get my dog food now) for some doggie toothpaste - Petrodex. I tried it last night, and she doesn't seem to mind it. so the next hard part will be for me to keep up with the brushing schedule... at least 3-4 times a week. Very ambitious :) .

[quote name='Aroura']When you're still getting them used to it do you add toothpaste? Will a childrens toothbrush do the job?[/quote]
I don't add toothpaste because he is just a puppy and really doesn't have his adult teeth yet. But if it's an adult you might as well use the toothpaste because it tastes good and that might help the process. And yes a child's toothbrush is fine.

both of mine chew on rawhide (when I'm home to supervise) and it has improved Laurel's teeth and breath alot. Her breath could knock you over when I first got her. I dont buy the bleached ones, or the basted ones. Just the natural rawhide (you can get it at petstores) but you do have to be there to supervise.I have never had an issue with it. I wont leave them alone with it though, just in case.

although I have large dogs, I buy the small bones (8 to a pack) and give them one when they are gone, every few days. Both seem to like that better since they are not avid chewers. Alex needed the large economy size, because he could go thru a huge one in a hour. and he needed to chew. kongs didnt do it. No chew toy I could find would satisy his chewing urge. he went thru greenies like paper. and he didnt like raw bones, he wanted it to become soft.

Guest Anonymous

I would stay away from rawhide..its actually quite dangerous and has been known to be toxic to dogs..alot of dogs have become sick and even died from rawhide...I'm surprised its still on the market, I thought some stores have taken it off their shelves...those money hogs...

Its good that you bought the petrodex katetsai...it's quite a good toothpaste...3-4 times is more than enough and like I said, you don't always have to use toothpaste..you can occassionally dip the brush in water mixed with some salt or better yet, baking soda...

good luck.

actually I did. He went through it (completely, all gone) in 20 minutes. I dont have him anymore, and the two dogs now dont like the compressed.
The prefer their rawhide "soft" to start with. I soak it. they dont have issues with it, or havent, but I;'m always here while they chew. they both chew for about 20 minutes, then get bored and stop. the little bones last days. neither will touch a kong, for chewing. once the food is gone, they're done. if not stuffed, they wont touch it.

**sigh**

:roll: :roll:

It is important that you remove all the tartar build up first then keep up with your brushing once or twice a week.
You can either buy the dentist tools or scrape the tartar off with your fingernail. It comes off pretty easy with a little bit of pressure and the teeth are white and clean underneath, just like new. Once you actually clean the crap off the teeth you can start brushing every week to help them stay clean. I use dog tooth paste because my dog loves her teeth brushed with it.