Dogomania

Toys in the mouth

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a stupid question, but have been curious for some time. Does anyone know why when dogs get excited (mainly when I first get home) they carry their toy around in their mouth? I have seen quite a few dogs that do this, when they're first greeted, they run around tail wagging with their toy in their mouth?? Thanks in advance!

I know I know...
It is the dogs way of say;
" I swear mommy I didn't eat your plant, poop in the house, drank from the toilet, ate the trash and slept on your bed. I was playing with my toy all day ... SEE I still have the toy in my mouth. Don't I look cute with the toy in my mouth."

Well, with my sisters dog, I inadvertently trained him to grab a toy when someone came home! That's because I was dogsitting him when he was a puppy, and everytime I came home he would nip at me (like puppies do!). So, I'd grab a toy and put it in his mouth, then give him LOTS of lovin's! To this day, if anyone walks into their house, he runs to get a toy!! heheheh!

Kira is the same way. In fact, like other Northern breeds she actually prefers to grab me by the wrist and walk me through the house. It's basically a sign of affection. It is pretty cute to watch her grab a Kong and start wiggling around with happiness that Daddy has come home.

Munkee does it also but he does it as a way to calm himself down. He gets SOOO excited when he sees his mommie (now if I can only find a MAN like that :wink: ). I almost ALWAYS have a 20 oz. diet coke bottle in my hand & there have been times where I forgot to bring him an empty one & he has grabbed the full one out of my hands, punched a hole in it & ran through the house spraying the walls with diet coke. Good thing he's soo cute.

Debby

Guest Anonymous

Haha, cute storys, I am thinking she must do it as a way to calm herself down. Her tail wags so violently that her whole body shakes!

Miles is no retriever, but you had better believe that when someone walks in the house, he runs to greet them and then as soon as they give him some attention and pet him, he gets even more excited and runs off in search of Red Monkey (shown in pic below). Usually he will bring Monkey back and let you grab it so he can wrestle you for it. He'll even follow you around with Monkey in his mouth waiting for you to fight him for it.

Guest Anonymous

I have always looked at it as they were bringing me a gift. None of my dogs do this but my friends dog Oh brother he was bad. As soon as he saw my car he would pick up a rock, large tree branch, anything he could find.

My car had a nice scratch down the side from him bringing me a stick while I was trying to get out of the car.

strange you bring this up now. Shenanigans was so excited this morning when we got up, he grabbed his froggy and not only ran around the house prey shaking the heck out of it, but he insisted on taking it outside for his pee and poop, he didn't drop it once. And then when the local neighbourhood twins came to say hello, he went apepoopy shaking it like crazy. lol

Zebra gets so excited when someone comes home. He will grab a toy and try to give it to you and if you don't take it he will stop right in front of you so you can't move. Usually he is wagging his tail so hard that his entire but wiggles all over the place. It always makes me laugh to see how happy and excited he gets. But then of course I have to take him out for a pee break because he gets so worked up that he gets his bowels moving. :lol: :roll:

Every night when Bri comes home Rosie looks for something to greet him with. :roll: Normally one of his slippers, a sock, a bloody big boot etc. :lol: She couldn't find anything one time and I have a lovely floor vase in the hall. She decided she'd greet him with one of the Lily's out of it. :lol:

When he comes through the door and bends to greet her she takes his hat off his head.and runs round with it in her mouth. Ruby just runs and gets her ball (no surprise there). :lol: It's a ritual now. :roll:

mine dont do it. Laurel "wiggles" all over, and Freebee insists on jumping up for her nightly kiss. But they dont have toys they play with either. Neither wants them. Rawhide comes down when I come home, and they're happy then. Most of the play toys are outside, balls, and sticks, and trees.....

maybe they're content just to keep each other company, and watch out for the evil tempered cat, of course...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's supposedly a stress thing, dogs get excited (a "happy" form of stress), and let it out in whatever way they can, many dogs chew or mouth to let out stress. With that, it would follow that they might think to grab a toy to let loose on when they feel themselves getting excited, especially if they've been taught that certain other things they might grab (hands, clothes, people things) aren't acceptable outlets.

[quote name='cheekymunkee']Munkee does it also but he does it as a way to calm himself down. He gets SOOO excited when he sees his mommie (now if I can only find a MAN like that :wink: ). I almost ALWAYS have a 20 oz. diet coke bottle in my hand & there have been times where I forgot to bring him an empty one & he has grabbed the full one out of my hands, punched a hole in it & ran through the house spraying the walls with diet coke. Good thing he's soo cute.

Debby[/quote]

Thank goodness!...another dog with a soda bottle fetish....I thought mine was the only crazy one. :lol: I can't sit a bottle down anywhere within reach of Loki...he grabs it and runs......and if I'm sitting on the couch, drinking a soda....well he sits there and begs, totally FIXATED on that bottle as if I was eating a t bone steak in front of him... :roll:

The only dog that does this is Toto. He's been doing it since he was a little pup. He loves to grab something when we come home and also when he gets up in the morning he will grab a toy and if there isn't a toy nearby he grabs whatever. Once it was a dirty sock but he thought it was wonderful. He also brings his ball to bed every night. I occasionally roll over on it. :D