Dogomania

other bulldogs and dog parks

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After reading the thread here about pitbulls and dog parks, I was wondering about some of the other bulldog breeds. The other day there was someone at our park with what I thought was a pitbull. I asked the owner if she thought it was safe to bring an adult pitbull to the park and she told me that it wasn't a pitbull but an American Bulldog. Are these dogs generally safe around other dogs in an unleashed situation or should I avoid them as well? I have a bc mix and we always avoid any pitbulls/mixes we see in the park. (So all you bulldog owners don't get upset, I also avoid female Akitas, based on past experience!)

Ha, this isn't a great way to introduce myself--I'm new to the forum, longtime lurker!

My vote on ABs at dog parks is NO! I do some AB (and pitty) rescue for a group in Maryland, and I won't place dogs in homes that want to take the dogs to dog parks. Just like pit bulls, ABs can have some dog-aggressive tendencies and also like pit bulls, they are very strong dogs and again, just like pitties, people have a tendency to rush to judgment about the bullies.

I've seen lots of people who insist on doing it, and they have no problems. I just think it's better for hte dogs and better for the breed to avoid the dog parks entirely.

Based on the nature of the breed I have to agree that it is a good idea for pits and pit mixes to be kept on leads at dog parks and to be avoided. I know it may make some owners feel like they have the plague but hey its better than having a potential incident which could potentially through damage and euthanasia risk the lives of dogs and owners. It is such a shame that these dogs have been labelled and I would love to see their image changed but society and irresponsibility along with genetics wil ensure that these dogs are always classified as a public liability. :-?

[quote name='Kat']Based on the nature of the breed I have to agree that it is a good idea for pits and pit mixes to be kept on leads at dog parks [/quote]

Well, actually if the dog park is one area and is designated as an off leash park, I don't feel they should be there PERIOD. If it's an off leash park, and my dogs are off leash, they may just want to visit these dogs that are on leash. USUALLY I can call them away, not always. If it's designed to be an off leash area, I should not have to worry about dogs on leash because they might be aggressive.
Candy was quite roughed up by a female pit bull at the park. Not a full out attack but scary enough to her that she submitted like mad and peed on herself. The owner of this dog seemed well versed in pulling her dog away, she calmly walked up, grabbed her dogs hind legs and pulled her off of Candy. I don't feel that dog should have been there at all. Dog wore a leash but owner did not have hold of the leash. Candy ran to me, owner walked her dog over to us and told her dog to 'be nice' to Candy. I was not thrilled about this and said (calmly) 'If your dog attacks her again, she WILL have to deal with ME.' She took both of her dogs and left.
There used to be another female pit bull that Candy was a partner in crime with. These two would play run and bump and yak at each other...and that was it. I have not seen that dog in quite some time, perhaps as she matured she became aggressive.

Guest Anonymous

I have to agree with Carol... if it's an off leash park, then they shouldn't be there at all..
I've been to a dogpark that had some younger pitts there and they were the freindlist little dogs chasing cody aorund and playing tug of war, but i never saw adult ones.. I'd have to say that i would not let my dogs int ehre if there was Bulls in there