Dogomania

An article on a dangerous dog.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG ATTACKS

Two or three children a day attend hospital as a result of being attacked by a German Shepherd.

WHO IS ATTACKED?

Children under 12 years of age are most at risk
Children aged 1-4 years have the highest rate of injury
Dogs of family or friends are involved in most attacks (78%)

WHERE DO ATTACKS OCCUR?

Many attacks occur at home; 40% occur in the victim's house/yard,
At a friend or neighbours house; 30% occur in these houses/yards

WHAT TYPE OF INJURIES?

Most serious injuries are to the child's head and face, these often leave substantial scars.
Lacerations and bruising to the arms and legs are also common.

Examples of German Shepherd Dog Attack:-

Boy 18 months attempted to take food from dog, bitten on hand / arm; girl 36 months, getting drink of water, bent down near dog, bitten on face; girl 2 years, tried to remove bone from dog, bitten on cheek and mouth; boy 5 years, tried to take dog's toy, bitten on face; boy 4 years, tried to discipline dog with rolling pin, bitten on arm and chest; girl 2 weeks left on floor, bitten on face and arms; girl 6 playing with dog and stick, dog bit stick and hand together; girl 3 years, stuck hand down dog's throat, bitten.

WHICH GERMAN SHEPHERDS ARE INVOLVED?

All sorts of German Shepherds can pose a risk to children or babies.

Particular care needs to be taken with GSDS that have been bred for their (assertive) and fighting qualities. A South Australian Health Commission study found that German Shepherd, Bull Terrier, Doberman, Rottweiler and Blue Heeler dogs were the most written about in dog bites.

WHAT YOU CAN DO !!

SIMPLE STEPS TO PREVENT ATTACKS

Separation

Keep babies and young children away from any German Shepherd.

Supervise Pittbulls with children at all times. This is particularly important when a new infant comes into a family of longtime dog owners.

Ask friends and relatives to keep their Pittbulls or German Shepherds seperate from your children at all times

Most importantly, stay safe and be aware of these dangerous dogs.
Stay far away from them, no matter what the owners say!

[quote]Boy 18 months attempted to take food from dog, bitten on hand / arm; girl 36 months, getting drink of water, bent down near dog, bitten on face; girl 2 years, tried to remove bone from dog, bitten on cheek and mouth; boy 5 years, tried to take dog's toy, bitten on face; boy 4 years, tried to discipline dog with rolling pin, bitten on arm and chest; girl 2 weeks left on floor, bitten on face and arms; girl 6 playing with dog and stick, dog bit stick and hand together; girl 3 years, stuck hand down dog's throat, bitten. [/quote]

I just read these...come on this whole thing is ridiculous! I think in some of those cases the dog had every reason to bite, like displining a dog with a rolling pin or sticking their hand down its throat! :x

Guest Anonymous

[quote] think in some of those cases the dog had every reason to bite[/quote]

sounds like your sticking up for the MEAN breed.

thats too bad. You should be able to take a bone from your dog, but then again if its a GSD well............
is that what your saying??

Guest Anonymous

you own dog should NOT bite a family member!!

Are you THAT STUPID???????????????

then again it IS a GSD

[quote]Are you the GSD hater from Barking Buddies[/quote]
whatever that is..............
Im just posting an article i found, never said i hated GSDS.

Guest Anonymous

NO!
I am saying if you both could read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b][size=7]YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE YOUR OWN DOGS BONE
WITHOUT GETTING BIT!!!!!!![/size][/b]

Guest Anonymous

Don't feed trolls? And they can rant on all they want and be ignored. If someone can't even take the time to register, and they are obviously stirring up trouble, ignore them and they won't have anyone to argue with.

Guest Anonymous

I GIVE UP!
ITS OBVIOUS THAT YOUR GONNA STICK UP FOR THE GSD, INSTEAD OF THE CHILD.
BAN THE CHILDREN NOT THE DOGS. WHY WE ARE JUST HUMANS, AND THEY,,,,THEY BE ANIMALS THAT WE EAT. BUT! FORGET THE CHILDREN!!

[quote]I think this article should be deleted because people who don't know any better MAY take these words to heart and believe these lies[/quote]
THEN STOP LYING!

[quote name='Anonymous']NO!
I am saying if you both could read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b][size=7]YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE YOUR OWN DOGS BONE
WITHOUT GETTING BIT!!!!!!![/size][/b][/quote]
Yeah, well, in a perfect world, parents would be paying more attention to what their children are doing, too.

If I were to go along with this, ok, you should be able to take a bone from your own dog. What 2 year old owns a dog?

[quote]you own dog should NOT bite a family member!!

Are you THAT STUPID??????????????? [/quote]

I gotta flash for you, it's a DOG.
Not a fuzzy toy.
Not a mechanical invention.
Not a blob of protoplasm.

A DOG. They have teeth, it is an animal, they CAN bite, and should be treated accordingly. That's means ALL breeds.

Now go home and play nice with the other kids.

TROLL ATTACKS

Two or three posters a day run screaming from forums as a result of being attacked
by a Troll.

WHO IS ATTACKED?

Innocent Posters minding their own business

WHERE DO ATTACKS OCCUR?

Many attacks occur on a friendly public forum

WHAT TYPE OF INJURIES?

Most serious injuries are to the mind of innocent posters. Trolls annoy posters to the point of tearing their hair out in frustration.

Examples of Troll attack:

Poster attempted to make peace with troll, attacked fiercely.

WHICH TROLLS ARE INVOLVED?

All sorts Trolls pose a risk to posters. Particular care needs to be taken with Trolls that have been bred for their mean qualities.

WHAT YOU CAN DO !!

SIMPLE STEPS TO PREVENT ATTACKS

Separation

Ban Trolls as soon as their spotted.

Most importantly, stay safe and be aware of these dangerous beings.
Stay far away from them, no matter what the Trolls say!

:evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat:

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ LC
"A South Australian Health Commission study found that German Shepherd, Bull Terrier, Doberman, Rottweiler and Blue Heeler dogs were the most written about in dog bites. "

I know this bit is true- in SA, German Shepherds had the most recorded dog bites. The rest of it is a load of crap. If said troll contnues to flout the user agreement they will be banned. :evilbat:

Great post LC! :lol:

But I think this thread needs..........Puppy pictures!

[img]http://www.waldenhaus.com/puppy13.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.fransangsd.com/pgallery/p002.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.fransangsd.com/pgallery/p087.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.fransangsd.com/pgallery/p091.jpg[/img]

[quote name='LuckyChaos']I think in some of those cases the dog had every reason to bite, like displining a dog with a rolling pin or sticking their hand down its throat![/quote]

While I agree that the article was dumb, I would say it is hardly ever ok for a dog to bite a child or anybody else. It should be the last line of defense and being hit by a 2 year old or having a hand stuck down it's throat is not serious enough to warrent biting.

[quote name='DogLover']Are you saying that a dog DOES NOT have the right to defend itself?[/quote]

Against a small child? I find it hard to believe that any dog with a stable temperment would find it necessary to defend itself against a small child when running away would do the trick. And my dog does not have the right to defend himself. I will do that for him because I don't want him biting anyone ever.

Of course we all know the blame is on the parents whenever a child is bitten because they are the only ones that can be held responsible. But I would not describe a dog biting because a kid stuck her hand down his throat as an excusable action. Neither is the child sticking her hand down there in the first place. But still, the dog shouldn't bite.

And you should be able to take your dogs bone without being bitten. Your child should be able to do the same.

Where the devil are the parents with all these attacks happening?

I'll be the first one to admit that GSDs do cause a good deal of bites, but I'd also like to say that a heck of a lot of GSDs are not trained and not bred well at all. You have one group that breeds GSD that aren't sound when it comes to being non-fearful, then you have another group who insists on breeding GSDs for their biting capabilities and little else. Somewhere down a very fine line down the middle you have some people breeding for a versatile dog who is sound and stable in termperament.

That said, in every dog attack on a child I have investigated or seen, there was usually a teenaged dog or a senior dog involved and almost all of them had lack of parental supervision. No an 18 month old dog shouldn't bite a child for taking away their bone under any circumstances, but you're still dealing with a dog in it's terrible twos, a breed reknowned for having one heck of a time during those terrible twos, and for all we know, the child was warned by the adolescent tenfold. A two year old child cannot comprehend those warnings very well, so the parents MUST be there AT ALL TIMES to translate.

I think when a family pet attacks a child, the parent or supervising adult should be held responsible (hows that for an unpopular opinion!).

And for the record, my GSD has been around thousands of children from the time he was 12 months old, he has not looked at one cross eyed let alone bitten or had any cause for concern. In the past nine years he has made many children happy and I would not hesitate for a moment to put my own child near him.

If you don't like the breed like some have suggested, then stay away from them, stick to your side of the playground and we'll stick to ours.

[img]http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Shenanigans99/kingbanzai.jpg[/img]

Guest Anonymous

OH my how cute! I love GSD's they are SOOOO CUTE!

Not to mention that I've foster 4 PB GSD's and a litter of 9 GSD Mix puppies! I got to see one of the GSD's and two of the pups last night (A friend adopted them) and my they are so big and so wonderful! My 4 kids plus my friends Granddaughter were having a ball playing with them.

And here's that Killer today:

[img]http://img62.photobucket.com/albums/v188/kccrystal/zeusssssss.jpg[/img] My god!! Watch out he might lick you to death, or the ears will make you laugh your self to death. Boy what a crock. Any breed can bite!!! Why is the target all of sudden GSD's? What's next Rotties, dobies, chows?? Heck a toy poodle can bite a child, and my question is where in the He!! were the parents????

[quote name='Anonymous']THEY BE ANIMALS THAT WE EAT. BUT! FORGET THE CHILDREN!!

[/quote]

Since when did people start eating their dogs?? You struck a nerve with me. Yes some animals we do eat, cows, chickens, pigs, fish. But to say they're just a stupid animal that we eat is total BS. Each animal is capable of feelings, and no animal is truely stupid. Yes some have more intelegence then others. Just because they can't speak the human launguge doesn't mean they don't speak to us in other ways. How could you not look into the eyes of your dog when you say "outside" and not see the joy??? What about when your haveing a bad day and your dog comes to you and lies by you. They are capable of reading our emotions, and they're there unconditionally. If you want to keep spouting your BS I'll keep backing my point up.

for the enlightenment of our newest "guest" (who really needs some....)

You are correct. No dog should be allowed to bite a family member. It is up to the ADULTS in the aformentioned family to MAKE SURE THAT DOESNT HAPPEN.

In case you are unaware, dogs are PACK animals, who live by a determined hierarchy in the household. THE DOG WILL NOT RECOGNIZE A SMALL CHILD AS A MORE DOMINANT ANIMAL. It will treat the child as a
lesser entity, that's all it knows, unless it's adults have trained it to accept the child as higher on the totem pole, WHICH IS WHY YOU NEVER LEAVE A SMALL CHILD ALONE WITH A DOG!!!!!

this is all besides the stupid reasons in the article.....I could take my dogs food away while they are eating it, so could my son, but he's 17. Would I have let him try it when he was 2, or 3? NOT ON YOUR LIFE. Where the hell were the stupid parents during all of this?

dont you have a bridge to crawl under or something?

:evil: