Dogomania

This is why Pit Bulls do not belong in dog parks.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='courtnek']is that dog OK? It looks like it's in pain....I cant stand pain, please tell me she's fine....

:o :o :o :o[/quote]

LOL! He's fine. He likes to roll around on the ground and make horrible faces.

[img]http://odnarb.com/harryshark01.jpg[/img]

[img]http://odnarb.com/harryshark02.jpg[/img]

[img]http://odnarb.com/harryshark03.jpg[/img]

[img]http://odnarb.com/harryshark04.jpg[/img]

[quote name='cheekymunkee']

If they lacked communication skills, there would be no pleas of uncle.[/quote]

Lacking doesn't mean completely abscent.

[quote]It would be an all out fight.[/quote]

And after I had one of those, the rules got REALLY strict.

[quote]They know exactly what the other is saying, they just chose to ignore it.[/quote]

Most likely you are correct, but since we can't ask them, we don't know for sure.

[quote]I have seen Hartagold post pictures of her dogs lying on the sofa, piled on top of her boyfriend. They seem to be communicating. I know she has very well trained dogs but there HAS to be some communicating going on between them for them to lie so content.

Debby[/quote]

I have a Hartagold dog, and I can show you pics of him lying on the couch with a dog that he didn't really get along well with, because Grant either misunderstood or blatantly ignored what Buster was telling him.

Lora of Hartagold rules her dogpack with an iron fist, as do I.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='pLaurent'][quote] Horrific looking dog fights (between non-pit bulls) quite typically don't result in any injuries at all. This isn't because the dogs COULDN"T put holes in each other, they could but they don't. [/quote]

Really, Primrose? I wish you had been on hand to explain that to the 3 yr old Akita who attacked my 12 year old dog with such ferocity that my dog needed surgery. HE was full of "holes". Oh, and he was walking away from the Akita when the attack occured, so I guess it's not just pit bulls who can't read (or ignore) signals from other dogs? Do you disagree?[/quote]

Hi pLaurent,

You will find my posts less confusing if you try to read what I actually write rather than stuff you make up. I try to write precisely and say what I mean. Note in the above post I did not write "fights between non-pit bulls NEVER result in injuries." I wrote that they "quite typically" do not result in injuries. So my post and your experience are completely consistent.

It is, of course, interesting that the dog who put holes in your dog was an akita. That is another breed that has been bred for dog aggression by (what I consider to be) irresponsible people. In fact, the AKC akita standard, quite amazingly, actually requires akitas to be dog aggressive, although most akita breeders seem to claim that they breed for the opposite (as they should).

primrose

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='odnarb'][quote name='LisaH']describing Pit Bull owners as sociopathic losers[/quote]

There ARE a lot of sociopathic losers in the breed. One of our many, many problems.[/quote]

Thanks, Odnarb, for your reasonable posts. By the way, I don't think I ever extended my sympathies to you on the loss of Buster. I am so sorry. You gave him a wonderful, full, long life, however, and he was dearly loved, and that is the most an evil pug can really hope for.

I did want to clarify the "sociopathic losers" comment. I wrote (somewhere, on some long forgotten board) that the majority of people PERCEIVE most pit bull owners as sociopathic losers. Not that they are. (Although Nic points out that the number of sociopathic losers who own pits is a big problem, as I am sure nobody would dispute).

Now somebody (again, I forget where) rightly called my on that comment and asked me to prove how the majority of people perceive pit bull owners. I immediately agreed that this was just my impression, based on a number of things, but that I can't prove it.

One of the things I base my perception of the perception of most people re pit bull owners on is the fact that in every single poll asking "should pit bulls be banned," the voting is overwhelmingly YES until the pit people can get organized and start stuffing the ballot box, if you will. Another is the almost pathetic gratitude I experience when I am nice to a pit bull owner (as I try to be). Fairly recently for example, I encountered a pit bull person with a leashed pit bull at an area where I walk my dogs. Her dog was controlled, but it was only with MAXIMUM effort on her part, since he was so wild and so strong. He was barking like a maniac at my dogs. We talked a bit and I found out he was a rather recent rescue, with little training.

I asked her if he swam, since he was pretty obviously going to be a difficult dog to exercise sufficiently and since so many pit bulls love to swim. She said couldn't teach him since she couldn't trust him off leash to attempt it in the nearby water. I got a tracking line out of the car and we spent a good half hour playing with the dog and trying to get him to swim. (Alas, it wasn't successful--he was very driven to retrieve in the shallow water, but didn't want to actually swim). She was so grateful and said that nobody wanted to interact with her dog, because of his breed.

Now, honestly, it might be that her dog turned people off more by his wild behavior than because of his breed, but there is no doubt that lots of people don't like pit bulls and extend that dislike to pit bull owners. You guys can do what Odnarb suggests and put on your best Wal*Mart greeter smiles and do all the hard work to try to change that (and know that there is a contingent of actual sociopathic loser pit bull owners working extremely hard to promote the other image) or you can pretend it doesn't exist and get mad when people notice that it does, or you can just sit back and watch the breed bans happen.

Your choice.

primrose

[quote]I wrote (somewhere, on some long forgotten board) that the majority of people PERCEIVE most pit bull owners as sociopathic losers.[/quote]

Wrong answer. Your exact words were as I stated, but it's typical for you to try and twist words and weasel your way out of it now. It may be forgotten by you, but since I'm one of those people who is categorized (by you) as a sociopathic loser, I do remember distinctly.

Try to stop lying, please!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='pLaurent'][quote]I wrote (somewhere, on some long forgotten board) that the majority of people PERCEIVE most pit bull owners as sociopathic losers.[/quote]

Wrong answer. Your exact words were as I stated, but it's typical for you to try and twist words and weasel your way out of it now. It may be forgotten by you, but since I'm one of those people who is categorized (by you) as a sociopathic loser, I do remember distinctly.

Try to stop lying, please![/quote]

Well, you will remember what you remember, pLaurent, but right here in this thread we have a great example of how you twisted and/or misunderstood what I wrote, either intentionally or just because you get so upset about me that you just can't take the time to read stuff I write carefully and for meaning. That is, I WROTE that even serious looking fights between non-pitbulls "quite typically" do not result in holes in either dog. You responded implying that I was claiming that fights between non-pit bulls NEVER result in holes in the other dog. (By telling the story about how the akita hurt your dog). Now, either you got confused about that or you are intentionally twisting what I wrote because when somebody writes that something "quite typically" happens, that does not mean that other stuff NEVER happens. In fact, it implies the opposite, that there are exceptions to the rule, but that the rule is "typical." If you say that something "typically" happens, you are allowing for other stuff to happen that is not typical. If you mean to say that something ALWAYS or NEVER happens (if you are a careful writer) those are the words you choose.

It doesn't really matter whether you are intentionally twisting or just confused, however, because I just took the time to clarify what I meant by my sociopathic losers comment of long ago again. If it wasn't clear to you then (or if my writing wasn't clear) it should be now, so I am not sure why you continue to try to pick a fight about it.

It is odd that on the same board where there is an implication that Odnarb is TOO friendly with me, somebody is claiming I said that all pit bull owners are sociopathic losers. For the record, I'm pretty certain that Odnarb is not a sociopathic loser.

primrose

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='really pLaurent...']...
It is odd that on the same board where there is an implication that Odnarb is TOO friendly with me, ....

primrose[/quote]

not at ALL what I was implying, you'll note. But P is certainly sucking up to you in an attempt befriend you, since you're about the only pit bull person who defends her. Do you enjoy being the alleged friend of a pathetic pit bull hating loser? I suppose you've forgotten all the times she has trashed the breeder of your dog.

And btw, why am *I* a no name cur, but not Primrose? She is as anonymous as I am.. but that's ok with you, I suppose.

[quote name='guesttoday']

Do you enjoy being the alleged friend of a pathetic pit bull hating loser?[/quote]

Actually, I enjoy being rational and level headed.

[quote]I suppose you've forgotten all the times she has trashed the breeder of your dog.[/quote]

No, I haven't. But, that has WHAT to do with now?

[quote]And btw, why am *I* a no name cur, but not Primrose? She is as anonymous as I am.. but that's ok with you, I suppose.[/quote]

Primrose is posting as Primrose. You are somebody I know, I'm sure, but you are too chicken poop to post under your regular handle. I think that is very sad and pathetic, and it makes you lose a lot of credability.

All in all, I don't give a rat's behind what you think of me, if you want to think I'm primrose's buddy, go right ahead. Overall, I'm pretty damned sick of the APBT & AmSTaff communities. A bunch of people making a bunch of pathetic excuses for breeding their crappy dogs, selling or adopting out dogs that are mentally/physically unsound, and being in complete denial of some of the real problems that the breed(s) face.

So, think what you want of me. I'm here for the breed, not to make friends.

[quote name='Mei-Mei']Look at those horrible faces! That's the cutest thing I've ever seen! He looks completely tormented. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

LOL, here's a few more that I uploaded just for you :lol:

[img]http://odnarb.com/horribleface01.jpg[/img]

[img]http://odnarb.com/horribleface02.jpg[/img]

[img]http://odnarb.com/horribleface03.jpg[/img]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='cheekymunkee'] I have seen Hartagold post pictures of her dogs lying on the sofa, piled on top of her boyfriend. They seem to be communicating. I know she has very well trained dogs but there HAS to be some communicating going on between them for them to lie so content.
[/quote]

Not necessarily..... they're just tired lol. A tired dog is a good dog!

Mine WOULD fight in many instances if they were allowed to 'communicate" as they wished. My job is to make sure that doesn't happen. They are separated when we're not home, they're separated when they eat, have raw bones, anything that may be a fight trigger. *I* am the alpha bitch, and they all know it!

And out of all of them, Doodle is the ONLY one I can still take to the kennel where I work to play with other dogs (it's not a "dog park" - *I* am the one who chooses who goes out with who, and I know who to put her out with- no more than about 5 dogs out at any time). Even my pups who aren't yet a year old can't be trusted to play nice with dogs at the kennel... all of them have been raised the same, socialized, etc. But once they hit about a year old, all that stops.

Bottom line......never trust a pit bull NOT to fight....they don't belong in dog parks.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']You must have a different chain of Wal*Marts than we do. The greeters that stand in the front of ours were hired on to stand at the front and look menacing. They are like those palace guards over in England with their glazed expressions and wouldn't smile or speak if their lives depended on it. They undergo special training in how to grimace, snarl and look as intimidating as possible while at the same time they file all the buggy wheels to be perfectly square so they have that neat little clack clack clack thing going when you're shopping. Our greeters also undergo rigorous physical training so as to be able to dash out the door and nab those rotten ne'er do wells who dared walk out of the store empty handed for surely they must have shoved merchandise in their pockets.

Who knew there were two different chains of Wally Worlds in the US? :o

[/quote]
:rofl:
And not only do they NOT greet you; just as you approach them, they place their hands on the front buggy (the one that you need) and become engrossed in conversation with each other....so you can't get their attention to get a buggy... :drinking:
makes ya wanna take your most evil dog to the store with you, huh?

And by the way, i know this is the Evil Dog thread and all, but today is almost over and not one o' you has sung me the birthday song :bday:

odnarb,
Just want to thank you on two fronts.
1st, your voice of moderate reason regarding pit bulls. Too often I either see those who wish to villify all pit bulls OR those who wish to romanticize them. You come across as VERY sensible and as one who truly appreciates what the breed has to offer while also understanding the realities that face pit bulls and those who love them.
2nd, thanks for the adorable photos of Harry. Belgians DO like to show their smiles in all kinds of ways. It is practically inevitable that Jesse will bare all of his teeth when he rolls on his back. The girls do not do that, Jesse pretty much ALWAYS does.

[quote name='Kias_Mommy']I'm sorry you had a bad experience LC.

In all my 3 years of taking Kia to dog parks, I've never had a bad experience with a pit bull or pb/mix. In fact one of the oddest things I saw was a pit bull with it's tail tucked, bawling as it ran back to it's owners with a terrier nipping at it's heels. Guess most dogs are big babies in my area.

Kia's only been in one fight and that was with an Akita. No food, no toys or sticks...they just passed each other and the next thing they are "talking with teeth".

I still take Kia to the dog parks.

And happy birthday Corgi! :bday:[/quote]

lol, reminds me of my dog (a 65 lb shepherd/husky/possiblely wolf mix) and the Pug down the road. When they met the pug started to chase my dog in circles. My dog had this expression on her face like "what the heck is wrong with this thing, HELP!!"

~Seij

[quote name='odnarb'][quote name='Mei-Mei']Look at those horrible faces! That's the cutest thing I've ever seen! He looks completely tormented. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

LOL, here's a few more that I uploaded just for you :lol:

[img]http://odnarb.com/horribleface01.jpg[/img]

[img]http://odnarb.com/horribleface02.jpg[/img]

[img]http://odnarb.com/horribleface03.jpg[/img][/quote]

LOL....too cute!.....but is he ever right side up? :o :lol: