Dogomania

any hunters on board?

ebkelsey

Does anyone on here hunt wild pigs or know anyone who does? I went with a friend of mine yesterday to train his 2 new catch dogs. Being out there watching it has gotten me real interested in the "sport" or pig hunting with dogs. I just wanted to know any of you think about the sport.

Eric

I dont hunt, and everyone I know who does is a bird hunter. My Foxhound hunted fox before they retired her, but I have never heard of "pig hunting"...not around here at least....

I know a lot of people who hunt deer, but they dont use dogs for that.

Using dogs to hunt wild pigs is common in Australia. I don't know if I agree with hunting but the pigs are pests and need to be eradicated, though I spose there are more humane ways to do it, I don't know. There was a poster here who used to do it (Artful Dodger), some of his posts may still be around if you do a search. :wink:

hunting is not exactly inhumane, providing the hunter is skilled. With today's high powered hunting rifles, it's easy to kill the animal instantly, with one shot. I dont however believe in siccing a dog on the animal, except to trap it or corner it, but not to rip it apart. that is truly inhumane.

NOOOO! not Ol Yeller!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I watched that movie once, when I was young, and cried for days afterwards. The poor dog did what it could to protect it's people from the bear. Rabies is a horrible thing. When they had to shoot it at the end, I cried non-stop....It was such a realistic story at the time it was filmed, before rabies vacs were necessary for dogs. Anyone who doesnt think they need to vaccinate their dogs should watch this flick...

:( :( :(

:angel:

[quote name='courtnek']hunting is not exactly inhumane, providing the hunter is skilled. With today's high powered hunting rifles, it's easy to kill the animal instantly, with one shot. I dont however believe in siccing a dog on the animal, except to trap it or corner it, but not to rip it apart. that is truly inhumane.[/quote]

Agree. Problem is that some hunters aren't skilled and there are also problems with culling eg with past kangaroo culls here in vic. I have nothing against hunting provided it's done as humanely as possible. The drought coupled with a huge roo population have resulted in culling by shotgun. however the hunters weren't the best and many poor roos were left to die agonising, prolonged deaths, and the baby joeys of the slain mothers (absolutely no discretion in the culling whatsoever) were of course unable to fend for themselves and either starved to death or ended up food for other predators. :x Not to mention the cruelty of siccing a dog onto another animal, what if the dog itself gets injured? I don't know a lot about pigs but they have very nasty looking hooves! And a trapped kangaroo can do a LOT of damage to any animal who gets too close.

[quote name='bk_blue'][quote name='courtnek']hunting is not exactly inhumane, providing the hunter is skilled. With today's high powered hunting rifles, it's easy to kill the animal instantly, with one shot. I dont however believe in siccing a dog on the animal, except to trap it or corner it, but not to rip it apart. that is truly inhumane.[/quote]

Agree. Problem is that some hunters aren't skilled and there are also problems with culling eg with past kangaroo culls here in vic. I have nothing against hunting provided it's done as humanely as possible. The drought coupled with a huge roo population have resulted in culling by shotgun. however the hunters weren't the best and many poor roos were left to die agonising, prolonged deaths, and the baby joeys of the slain mothers (absolutely no discretion in the culling whatsoever) were of course unable to fend for themselves and either starved to death or ended up food for other predators. :x Not to mention the cruelty of siccing a dog onto another animal, what if the dog itself gets injured? I don't know a lot about pigs but they have very nasty looking hooves! And a trapped kangaroo can do a LOT of damage to any animal who gets too close.[/quote]

that gave me the shudders. That's exactly the BAD side of hunting...especially culling, since they seem to let anyone do it, not good hunters (probably because they dont want to). I agree it needs to be as humane as possible.

Guest Anonymous

Wild hogs are a big problem, especially in the South. They cause alot of damage to farmland. They reproduce extremely rapidly. Hunting pigs w/ dogs can be alot of fun. Hunting humanely is almost an oxymoron in my opinion, and is not for the squemish. The pig is definately scared as hell and does not want to be held by its nose by a dog, but it is pretty hard to find the pigs w/o the dogs. Once the hunter gets to the pig it should either be tied or killed immediately. If you catch the hog and feed it well for a few months, it is pretty tasty. It is also alot of fun to see dogs doing what they are bred for.

that's why I dont hunt, although I am not condemning anyone who does.
If I HAD to, I could kill an animal to survive, and I'm a damn good shot. But I dont have to, so I dont want to. I would feel too bad for the animal. I know someone is going to say that's simplistic, but that's just me. I couldnt bring myself to kill another animal unless I had to. I havent even evicted the possums from under the porch....Just put a crate over the hole so the dogs cant dig there, but the possums can get out and look for food.

I'm a wimp, I know....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Yeah , hunting is not for everyone, but we're lucky to have hunters. There are some who just do it for sport, and there are alot who feed their family, including their dogs, with there catches.

Yes, GOOD hunters are an asset. My great grandpa was the last person in a long line of hunters hunting with real hunting dogs (English Pointers) which he bred for the dog's original purpose. It was apparently always the done thing to get a few rabbits (or whatever game you're after): for the family and for the next door neighbour as well. In our family at least it was a generational thing- great grandad did it to provide food for his family and because it was a family tradition, then as the family got more urban and wealthier and didn't need to hunt to survive, the need for it disappeared and ended with his death some years ago.

I don't think human hunting is an oxymoron done in an effective manner. A single shot to the head which kills the animal instantly couldn't be inhumane. Unless there is a so-called "thrill" of the chase which appears to be so terrifying for the hunted is the inhumane bit. I don't mean to anthropomorphise but it's difficult to see that a small animal such as a rabbit being chased by a huge hairy dog would find it pleasant. Is it possible to hunt/kill without having a chase or would it depend on the quarry?

I'm a little undecided about hunting, I guess it needs to be done to eradicate introduced pests like pigs and rabbits, and I can accept that it is a hobby for some (and a source of food for others), but it has the potential to be so cruel and damaging. I think I would cry and then throw up if I had ever gone hunting with my great grandpa, but I'm a wuss :P

the deer population is out of control here as well. I see them get hit by cars every spring and fall. The sad part is, the cops and animal control show up, and the first thng they do is put a bullet to it's head, put it out of it's misery. Hunting is not allowed around here, because even though there are so many forest preserves, they're surrounded by houses.

I think BK the chase depends on the quarry. Humans cant run as fast as rabbits, or foxes, and that;s where the dogs come in. Foxhunting is done on horseback, because the dogs run like the wind and the hunters cant keep up with them either. and they're very difficult to sneak up on. I dont object to hunting, but I agree I dont like it for sport only. If you're going to kill it, at least have a reason for doing so, like you're going to eat it.
or to cut down an overbearing population.

Lots of deer here in Wisconsin too, I've got a dent in the side of the house where one ran into it.Yup, you heard right. I opened the front door and the deer was literally standing on the patio and ran into the house trying to get away. I am a dedicated deer hunter and have been hunting for over 28 years now. This is my record book deer. Check out that proud Pomeranian in the pic :wink:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDtAs8Yz*7pyaJEJ8cnbgZ2iTbWv7Kup5DKsv6fkAI!Gc3kJ459mNkOvwNxvyW*Lv1nT!Dgpab2VKbey8*BK0xPspQtHfpZ6JOuqX07vgWL9dxZ*zufPnGXmO65mtyb/75595_04.jpg?dc=4675475529664986908[/img]