Dogomania

A little Doggie Rant (no offense to small dog owners)

[quote]We also have had alot of cases at the Vet clinic where little dogs have been horribly mauled by large dogs due to being mistaken as prey objects, some little dog owners have actually had off lead large dogs grab their little dogs while they are holding them and try to tear them out of the owners arms...this can be very scary for a small dog owner. [/quote]

I meant to add that some of the large dogs where off lead and many of them were on lead and were with owners who did not have much control over their "big" dog, and some owners had lots of control over their big dogs which suddenly attacked the small dogs.
We had an American Staffordshire terrier grab a little dog out of an owners arms while in the waiting room at the vet clinic I work at. The Staff went into predatory drift, when a dog goes into this state they do not give any warning they are going to attack as they are now "hunting"...the lady with the little dog in her arms was standing talking to one of the receptionists and the owner of the Staff walked up and stood beside the owner and had her Staff sit down (the Staff was very well obedience trained and has a CD obedience title)...the next thing we know all hell breaks loose and the Staff has the little dog by the leg...between the owner of the little dog and the little dog screetching it was horrible. The little dog had multiple bite marks on its little leg and required stitches. The owner of the Staff kept saying over and over again that this has never happened before and her dog is usually well behaved & well trained...well, there is always that one time isnt there.

Just to add to the topic, small dogs can be very misbehaved and most behavior problems are due to bad ownership. But, a large breed can be dangerous and down right scary with bad ownership...bad owner ship comes in many different forms from not enough education to owners enticing bad behavior.
Just today I went up town for the first time in...I think years :o and I was horrified to see the amount of bad owners with Rottweilers and APBT's, Staff's etc. It seemed they were on every street corner hangin out with a gang of teenagers or young adults...these dogs were BAD, lunging at passing people etc. It makes me wonder why more is not done with these creeps with these horrible dogs. The young fellows were laughing and encouraging their dogs when they displayed this horrible behavior. The dogs were on lead which means they were not disobeying any leash laws.

As for American Cocker spaniels...I just love these dogs, they are great to work on. The worst ones I have seen with bad temperments are either from bad breeding (over bred) or due to having severe ear infections or ear problems. This can make our little Cocker's very cranky, and its surprising how many we come across in a week which are suffering from chronic ear infections...this can make these little dogs very defensive about people touching them around the head area.
We also have alot of English Cockers which come in for grooming, they have a nice temperment. We have a very large clientel of Cockers at the grooming shop.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='StarFox']*bangs my head against the wall* I'm not breed stereotyping! I have had four bad experices with cockers, and all 4 times the owners let the dog off leash(in areas where leashes are mandatory). I don't hate the breed I hate the stupid owners who thinks it's cute as there dog races toward my dog and snaps at his neck! Do I love cockers and want every one I see at the shelter, no. But I sure as heck don't hate them or think they are all horrible.

Bubblezzz-Your dogs sound great. To bad there arn't more owners like you around here. :)[/quote]
Fine but I am curious what is breed stereotyping to you? How does someone display that.

[quote name='Cairn6'][quote name='Horsefeathers!']Cairn... ok, you're right and I'm wrong. Better?[/quote]
Well that's great I can see your someone you can't have an open diaglog. Your very sarcastic.[/quote]
I can do open dialogue. It's just pointless when the "opponent" twists your words to fit what they need to believe. Therefore, I concede. Take it the way you want to.

[quote name='Cassie']The biggest problem with our small dogs is first, owners are more apt to coddle their little dogs in times of stress. Working in a grooming shop I see this all the time, owner comes in with small dog in her arms...of course the little dog is going to be defensive in the arms of its owner. I ask the owner to pass the little dog to me, little dog starts barking and growling...owner takes back little dog and hugs it telling the little dog that every thing is going to be alright in a soft tone of voice...thus, the owner is reinforcing a bad behavior and actually teaching the dog that it should be defensive towards strangers approaching. I see this with big dogs as well.

Another issue with small dogs is size does matter. Dogs are great at reading body language, there is nothing more assertive and dominant than another dog or human leaning over the small dog...this is very intimidating to any dog, and this happens ALOT with small dogs...I can't tell you the number of customers we have with small dogs who get very frustrated with naive people who rush up to see their little dog and then stand over the dog, or bend over it to pet it. I have seen alot of big dogs react in a bad way to people bending over them and trying to pet them on the head...it can be even worse for a small dog. People almost lose their senses when it comes to small dogs and approach them in completely the wrong way, we are more apt to ask before approaching a large dog, and when people approach a large dog they will most times approach them in a less threatening manner than they would with a small dog.

One of the reasons little dogs sometimes get an attitude about big dogs is that owners tend to panic when they see a big dog approaching. The owners's stress transmits to the small dog, who than becomes anxious herself. If you grab your little dog every time another dog approaches, it will increase her stress and the potential for a confrontation. It is a normal reaction with alot of small dog owners to pick their little dog up and carry it...and in some cases there is just cause. My Rottie looks at little dogs as prey objects and she does go into predatory drift when she sees a little dog. We also have had alot of cases at the Vet clinic where little dogs have been horribly mauled by large dogs due to being mistaken as prey objects, some little dog owners have actually had off lead large dogs grab their little dogs while they are holding them and try to tear them out of the owners arms...this can be very scary for a small dog owner.
Little dogs need special training, they also just as big dogs should have the NIFIL policy in place. We also have alot of owners of small dogs who come in to the grooming shop who cannot brush their little dogs...the reason behind this, is the dogs doesnt like it :o all dogs even little dogs should be handled and taught to appreciate grooming sessions :wink:

Any dog can be spoiled, I have seen some very spoiled little dogs, perhaps more so than large dogs as we cannot put up with as much bad behavior from our large dogs as they can be a bigger problem. I have had to deal with many spoiled large dogs, and I will say I would much rather deal with 10 small spoiled untrained dogs than 1 spoiled untrained Chow or Rottie...I value my face and don't like the thought of ending up in the hospital like another groomer my boss knows...small dogs can bite, but, large dogs can put you in the hospital, or like the groomer attacked by a chow she had been grooming for years...suffer horrible scars and reconstructive surgery on your face and upper arms for years to come.

The problems with small dogs is most times they are not obedience trained, owners inadvertaley give their little dogs reasons to be offensive with body language, tone of voice and reacting badly in certain situations.
With some bad large dogs most times the owners are afraid of their dogs and allow them to rule the roost.[/quote]
I agree with you 100%.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='Cairn6'][quote name='Horsefeathers!']Cairn... ok, you're right and I'm wrong. Better?[/quote]
Well that's great I can see your someone you can't have an open diaglog. Your very sarcastic.[/quote]
I can do open dialogue. It's just pointless when the "opponent" twists your words to fit what they need to believe. Therefore, I concede. Take it the way you want to.[/quote]
I did when did I do that?

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][quote name='Bentleythewonderdog'] I just don't want to deal with the possibility that the larger dog may decide to snap at a tasty little morsel.[/quote]
Isn't this sort of discriminatory in the same manner that some people are getting peeved at the small dog stereotypes? I mean, it assumes that all big dogs potentially see smaller dogs as "tasty little morsel"s.

Mind you, I believe you are entirely right in maintaining control of your own dogs and not assuming that others are as responsible and in avoiding contact with other dogs you are uncomfortable with. It's just food for thought, but not necessarily directed solely at you, if that makes sense. :wink:[/quote]

I just want to point out that the 2 small dogs I have now are my first toy breeds. I have had German S. Dogs, Golden Ret., Cockers, and Shelties in the past. I have always walked [b]all[/b] of my dogs to the other side of the street when I see an unfamiliar dog approaching. I'm not willing to risk injury to [b]any[/b] of my dogs. I'm not going to gamble if I don't know how a strange dog will react. I don't think it's odd for someone to love all breeds, doesn't mean I want one but how can you not feel love & compasion for all dogs? I know this thread has really hit a nerve with everyone. Maybe it wasn't was meant to offend but ..... when reading the post it is clear that some people dislike the smaller breeds. That's fine, I don't have a problem with those of you that do dislike them. I'm sure if the post were riddled with derogatory comments about their larger counterparts such as Pit's or Rotts, the people whom love them would come to their defense. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

[quote name='Bentleythewonderdog']I know this thread has really hit a nerve with everyone. Maybe it wasn't was meant to offend but ..... when reading the post it is clear that some people dislike the smaller breeds. That's fine, I don't have a problem with those of you that do dislike them.[/quote]

It hasn't hit a nerve with me, I just hate it when someone comes on the forum with a simple comment about [b]some[/b] small dog owners, and others jump to their defence as though they are being attacked when they are NOT. I have two of the smallest dogs in this town, Montie in particular pulls off wins for smallest dog competitions all the time, but I haven't taken one bit of offence at this post and don't see why anyone else should. If people stop taking one liners out of context and read the discussion properly they will realise that not one person here dislikes small dogs, we've all had our fair share of run ins with them, but blame the owners, not ONE person has said "I hate small dogs just because they are small".

OK I'M CALLING A TIME OUT!! EVERYONE IN THEIR CORNERS!!

the post, as said before, was started by someone who was aggravated that a small dog had disrupted their day. Maybe some adjectives, unkind ones, were used (dustmop comes to mind) in the descriptin of the dog, but it was never stated in the original post that little dogs were disliked.

we have gone down the primrose path of attacking each other over DETAILS... "this small dog did this" "this big dog did this"...etc....

we have ALL had incidents of running into dogs we did not particularly
care for, yes, the owners are usually responsible, but the DOGS did the damage. VENTING IS ALLOWED!!! Can we get over this please???

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

[quote name='Cairn6']
Fine but I am curious what is breed stereotyping to you? How does someone display that.[/quote]

To me breed stereotyping is a fixed belief or opinion that is over simplified and usually untrue.
I.E.- ALL pitbulls are mean. All small dogs are mean. All poodles are nice. All Labs are friendly. Ect.

People dislpay breed stereotyping many differnt ways. Some people make comments when they see that breed. Some people will avoid that breed at all costs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes, all crates are now open. I just had to stop this train wreck however I could...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know that these are deeply personal, opinion attitudes. But sometimes you have to take a vent at face value...it was just a vent...

:wink: :wink:

Montie is probably the most spoilt little dog around, I'm always cuddling him and babying him, he's my little darling and I go completely spastic if anyone does anything to scare or hurt him BUT if he's being a brat I tell him, he's got a harness and if he is barking on a walk I gently jerk the lead until he stops, then when he is behaving I give him a treat, he's getting so much better :wink:

Montie wins everyones heart over in a second. He stands there and wags his tail, and I get him to do all his tricks and everyone thinks its so cute. Rewarding the good behaviour and ignoring or correcting the bad is the key to owning a happy, well behaved dog :angel:

I believe that. I want a papillon when I get old and cant handle two rambunctious hunting dogs (I posted that earlier I think).

You are obviously a good dog owner, and yes, there are ways to spoil, cuddle and live in the "doggie lap of luxury" with a lap dog, or small dog.
but you have to know, like you do, where to draw the "spoil line". Sitting in your lap and being cuddled is great, that's what these dogs were basically bred for (at that size). But you gotta draw the line at aggression and bad manners. Some dogs cant do it, and they end up being problems. I personally font think Chi's make good "lap dogs" because they are slightly
aggressive to begin with. However, with good training (like HF's "Chico)
it can be done.

My big dogs are spoiled in some ways as well. They sleep on the couch.
They mooch people food from my son and his friends. The silly scared foxhound WANTS to be a lap dog....(that's always fun when I'm on the computer. This chair is NOT big enough for both of us :lol: :lol: :lol: )
but aggression and nasty attitudes are not allowed. I had a few instances of "bitch wars" going on here over bones. I had to step in, neither would back down. (typical of two females I have been told) I had to do the
two fingered snap" (defined earlier) on both of them and then put them in seperate corners to chill out. Some people wold say that put me at risk,
but when I "thunder", they back down. My voice is loud anyway. When I "thunder" you can hear it very far away. They both ignored, and got the "snap" for disobedience. They stopped. Sometimes you gotta take a hand in these things.

Is it just me or is there something funny going on here? I posted the last post, saying good post to Court... but on my computer it says that I was the last poster, however, when I go into the topic courtneks post is the last and mine doesn't show??? :-?

Anne, I can see your post - but only after I posted - Courts post is still showing as the last one, even now that I've gone into "post a reply" your post and all of my last ones have disapeared again, I think its the same with all dogo topics, its not showing me any recent ones, thats why I haven't been posting, I've got nothing new to post on! Whats going on, I'm confused :(