Dogomania

Chicken soup for the Dog.. PET FOOD??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok over on the petfinder fourm they were talking about this chicken soup for the dog lovers pet food.. there was a few poeple ont here that said it was great, but seeing as i just found the forum there, and don't post often i thought i'd come to go old dogo were i value EVERYONE's opinon and see what you all thought about it.. ever herd of it?

i'll try to find the post on petfinder because someone posted the link to their page..[/url]

It's one of a series that started with "chicken soup for the soul"...it's not really about food, but about emotional crises that can be handled without drugs and such. It's kinda like an inner-mind revelation, about how to handle day to day problems with "chicken soup"...it was always an old wives tail that chicken soup would help cure a cold, until it was discovered that the cooking of the soup actually released natural chemicals that WOULD help fight off a cold. I havent read the books, but my guess would be the one for dogs is also a revelation of natural handling and emotional things.

well, I guess there IS one about food. I never heard of that one...

heres the link for the book

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558747109/104-1564995-8443167?v=glance[/url]

and heres the one for the food

[url]http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/[/url]

Guest Anonymous

there is an ACUTAL FOOD called that.. i'm trying to find the link right now. alot of people over there feed it to their dogs they said it's a great food and iw as goign to buy some at the store.. it's at a specaility store

Guest Anonymous

Its a great food. The Whole dog journal has it as one of its top dog foods. This is a very high dog food rating when the WDJ gives its seal of approval

I use the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. My cats love it. They dont' shed as much and hardly ever have hairballs. I've seen it for dogs at the place where I get my dog food, but I've never fed it to them. It's made by the Diamond Company (dog and cat food).

chicken soup is a decent food. i wouldn't rate it quite as high as many other high end foods due to some statements diamond makes (or doesn't make) about it, but nevertheless it's a quality product.

as for

[quote]The Whole dog journal has it as one of its top dog foods. This is a very high dog food rating when the WDJ gives its seal of approval[/quote]

i have to strongly disagree.

first of all, a food being approved by the Whole Dog Journal means that the food has been reviewed and recommended by this magazine. nothing more, nothing less. there are other quality products out there that were not recommended, simply because they have not been reviewed. so take it with a grain of salt, it's not the "be all and end all". the ingredients determine the quality of a product, not a magazine recommendation.

second, there are no differences in the Whole Dog Journal ratings, meaning they will [b]not[/b] recommend one food over another. a food is rated and either gets approved or not.

I like it as an alternative food and it's much more readily available than Canidae or Wellness, or any of those. When I can't get my regular foods, I will buy it. For whatever odd reason, though, my gang is not that crazy about it. They aren't generally picky dogs, but they don't eat the Chicken Soup food with the same enthusiasm as the other foods. Dunno why. What's even stranger is that my cats do not care for the Chicken Soup brand of cat food, either, and all but refuse to touch it. :-?

I have been feeding Miles Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul for the past few months now. One day Miles decided that he hated Cannidae (he went on a hunger strike and wouldn't touch the stuff) and we experimented with Innova but it was too rich for the little guy. We decided to give Chicken Soup a shot based on its great ingredient list and recommendations from others. Miles loves it and everyone is happy. He poops less than when he was on the Cannidae and Innova (you don't want to know what he was pooping while on Innova!!!), he has no gas (that we know of) and he is healthy, shiny and active. It is also less expensive than almost every other "high-end" food we tried.

Ingredients for the adult dog version:
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

[quote]What's even stranger is that my cats do not care for the Chicken Soup brand of cat food, either, and all but refuse to touch it.

My cats were the same way about it! They picked around it and just ate the old food out for about 2 weeks. Then when the old food ran out and it was all they had, they started eating it (really picky at first...wouldn't even empty their dishes). Right when I was about to give up and try a different brand, they started scarfing it down like there was not tomorrow :stupid:

Cats are so weird. Who can figure them out :confused1:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys! i'm going to buy it today when i go shopping i really am having issues with the old pedigree thing, my dogs poop ALOT ( and their rottie and aussie sized poos' lol ) Zoey's skin and fur don't look like they used to so i'm onna give it a try. on the aussie board i go to there are quite a few aussie owners who use it and said it's wonderful for their coats, and Ferky said it was good so i'll give it a go! and keep you updated.

HOLY COW! soryr.. lol as i wrote that a bird tried to fly threw my window :o