Dogomania

Would you chain a dog.

anne3149

Guest Anonymous

Just because there are 30 dogs doesnt mean they are all bred all the time. I have maybe three litters a year, and I keep most of the pups myself. Some go to family homes, some dont. I am not a breeder in it for the money. As a matter of fact I am quick to give my pups, which I could sell for anywhere from $1000-5000 (depending on the bloodline), to friends of mine as well as people I would like to see have the experience of owning a gamebred APBT. I dont care how the market for APBTs is as I am VERY picky about who gets my dogs and I dont sell them, or give them, to just anyone. I have been offered thousands of dollars for dogs by people I wouldnt want to have a dog of mine and guess what??! I still have those dogs. Money means nothing.
Every one of the dogs gets a lot of attention as well as enough exercise. All of them are in extremely good shape, and kept that way.
[quote]I still maintain that you cannot look after 30 dogs in the same manner as you can with say, two or three dogs. Again, if I had to chain my dogs because I had too many I would cut down on the number of dogs so they were able to live inside with the family. [/quote]
Well, that is your opinion, maintain it all you want as I maintain mine as well. My dogs all know how to act around people. They all know the main commands. They are all in extremely good shape. If you think your dogs are kept in better condition, continue to think that. I doubt they are. Just because your dogs are kept inside with you doesnt mean they are more loved OR better taken care of OR happier.
Also, I am not chaining my dogs because "I have too many". I am chaining AND kenneling them because that is the best way to assure their safety. I would use chains and/or kennels regardless if I had 5 or 30. Its responsible and keeps my dogs safe.
Another thing... you said....
[quote]I have two Rotties and we are bonded to eachother. That would not happen if they lived the most part of their lives outside on chains. [/quote]
This is BS unless you would be one of those people who throw your dog on a chain and ignore them. All my dogs are bonded with me. They all know who I am. They all love me, as I love them. I can walk you through my yard and not only tell you the bloodline of each dog but also of each of their seperate "quarks".
Saying that bonding wont happen with a dog on a chain, Im sorry, but is pure ignorance. just because you havent had to chain a dog or had experience with a chained dog doesnt mean it is wrong and doesnt mean the dogs are not happy or dont get enough attention.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't like to see dogs live outside all the time, but that's my opinion.

My two dogs spend around six hours a day outside, and the rest of the time they have free rein in the house. I have a fenced yard, but Maya (Golden Retriever/Husky mix) is a fence jumper. So I have her on a 40-foot cable attached to a harness whenever they're outside. She can still use almost the whole yard, and they can still play, wrestle and run together with no problem. I keep an eye on them the whole time they're out.

When it's time for them to go out, I just hold up Maya's harness, and she picks up her right foot to put in the harness, and then she puts her left foot in the harness. She loves to get it on because she knows she gets to go play outside. But they're definitely couch potatoes when they're inside.

Here's a picture of Maya attached to her cable.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwAkA7QY*vOdQwmWD!oqYsjUCxEpAt32D4U8qPe02Sg9c7TN7AAMxKdsZQ3*BdqEb9J4igu5qcoZtLe1OYmKPQNPO6lpVkAT9QVQGQ4d6rYIGpl3pu!EyAWniKmPPk8o/DCP_0003.JPG?dc=4675457678573855077[/img]

I did not brand you personally as a troll- I branded a particular kind of post as those of a trolling variety. Nowhere in my post does it say "anne3149 is a troll". That it is my [u]opinion[/u]that a particular type of topic is trollish is just that- my [u]opinion[/u]. Opinions are allowed on a debate forum, are they not? Or only those that you agree with? The factthat you have already made up your mind on the subject then begs the question of why it needed to be discussed further, except of course to stir the pot. My first post was also in reply to the original poster, who, I believe, was not anne3149, but cdreid.

I can't believe I'm going there, but here goes...

I'm really hesitant to say that someone can't properly care for and socialize 30 dogs (chaining issue aside). I can't imagine doing it, but then again, a lot of people can't imagine doing it with TEN dogs (which I currently have) and I [u]know[/u] that can be done. Some people believe 3 is too many and that they couldn't possibly get enough one on one attention. I think it all boils down to a matter of perception. I also kind of view "working" dogs (though I still do disagree with some forms of "work" involved... just for the record) differently than I do pets. I don't necessarily believe that all working dogs and their "packs" need to be in the house lounging on the couch 24/7. It's not the life I want for my own dogs, but they are all simply pets with no other purpose than to keep me company, so inside lounging on the couch 24/7 works for us.

Guest Anonymous

HF- I cant imagine having 10 dogs in the house!! :o :lol:

Ill admit it is a ton of work. I dont get a lot of free time for much else and rarely leave the house. But to me, its all worth it. Seeing those big bully smiles first thing in the morning is very rewarding!!
I have hired help as well as my friends sending their kids over to help as "punishment". The kids dont really look at it as punishment as they love to play with the dogs (they do help feed, water and clean). On average I would say the dogs see between 4-8 different faces each day. Not to mention the visitors I get. They are all very socialized with people and are all very well cared for. And, like I said before, I can bring any one of them in the house with me.

People can wonder about taking care of 30 dogs, I wonder how I do it myself sometimes. But to say my dogs arent taken care of or Im not being fair to them because they are on a chain is just plain ridiculous. For one, I am a breeder. And 2, I own American Pit Bull Terriers. I do both responsibly and chaining helps me to do that.

Pumpkin the musher. It was in fact me who started this thread, not cdreid, as you stated.

The topic was not posted to 'troll' and cause problems, it was posted because I wanted the opinion of others who do chain their dogs and I wanted to know why they did.

You are correct in that I already have my own opinion on the matter. Does that preclude me from asking the opinion of others or must I, in your opinion, have a completely closed mind on the subject. A 'my way or the highway' attitude? Too many people with that attitude already without me adding to the numbers.

Hmmm has replied in a clear and concise manner which I understand. I now see why she has the need to chain her Pittys. Firstly, I had no idea that she had such a large number of dogs and secondly she has pointed out that there may well be bloodshed if the dogs were not seperated. That makes sense to me.

Is this not what a forum is about, to listen to the opinion of other posters. Just because you do not wish to discuss the chaining of dogs does not mean that it is a 'troll' subject. I would say if the subject is not one of your liking then you have no obligation to post on it. You have the choice of ignoring and not responding to a post you do not like rather than make an unfounded and insulting 'troll' remark.

Only time I put my dogs on a "run" is when I can't be out back watching them, or when I have something I need them out of the way for. Yes I have a 6 foot privacy fence, but I feel safer knowing they have no way of getting out when I can't watch them. That's what happened to Kirby, my GSD/Husky mix, I turned my back one second & he managed to get the gate open & he was gone. He met his end with a car shortly after. If I would've had him on a run it might not of happened. When I had Sassy, she was on a run also. I couldn't trust her in the backyard when I wasn't there to watch her, so I hooked her up. And when I'm outside, they're off the run & with me. I think it's just safer IMO when you can't watch them to have them hooked up. Plus there are times when I need to put them outside when we have company who don't like dogs.

Hmmmm has a great system, she knows her dogs, and their best intrests at heart. No one gets hurt when everyone is confined, and hooked up.

anne, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I have read I believed you meant "chaining out and leaving", not just tremporarily chaining out, or deliberately chaining out, which Hmmm does. Hmmm has a unique situation, wherein Pit Bulls tend to get into dogfights with no provocation, (none that most of us might see at any rate) and they are strong enough to break standard tie-outs. With 30 of them, I believe that chaining (although I still hate the heavy chaining, but have been told that with some dogs it is necessary) is a good way to keep them from hurting each other. They do have a history of fighting. Hmmm appears to be making good human contact with them, they are not chained out and left. Please understand, that I am asking if what you meant was "chaining out and left", which is how I took it.
Hmmm, I think you reacted a little too strongly to Anne's post. She was just asking for opinions. And maybe her question irked you, but she is still entitled to ask. Try to keep things peaceable, people. we may disagree, and that's fine, but we shouldnt make the disagreements personal.

I understand why chaining may be necessary for you. But its not necessary for most of us, and we all disagree with chaining a poor dog out and leaving it there.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Hmmm, I think you reacted a little too strongly to Anne's post. She was just asking for opinions. And maybe her question irked you, but she is still entitled to ask. Try to keep things peaceable, people. we may disagree, and that's fine, but we shouldnt make the disagreements personal. [/quote]
? Ummm, Im sorry.... Didnt know I reacted too strongly?? I have no problem with someone disagreeing but my point was, at first, not being understood. I was simply trying to inform anne of my situation. Of why I rely on chains for the safety of my dogs.
Anne3149 said....
[quote]Hmmm has replied in a clear and concise manner which I understand.[/quote]
I hope what anne3149 said is how I replied instead of reacting too strongly...

Courtnek. Thanks for asking for clarification. Yes, I meant chaining out and leaving the dogs 24/7.

We have just had a situation where a Neo Mastiff had been on a chain 24/7 for all of his short life. He is about 2yo. This dog has recently been rescued from this situation, with owner agreement. The poor dog lived alone on the property as the owner had moved out and only came over 3 or 4 times a week to feed the dog. This dog did not know what it was to be free of a chain. That is a sad case of chaining indeed.

In another instance in a house at the back of mine there is a GSD chained 22 hours a day. For the remaining 2 hours of the day, when the owners come home from work, they let him off the chain and he barks and throws himself at the back fence in an attempt to get my dogs to join his barkfest. This poor dog is never walked and gets very little owner attention at all. Another very bad case of a dog being chained.

I understand that there are good reasons for dogs to be chained temporarily but not as a permanent solution on a daily basis by people who have no inclination to spend time with their dogs.

thanks Anne. and Hmm? I am trying to the best of my ability to avoid any more "sniping fits" on this forum. theres been too many of them.

I try to see both sides of the story, and smooth things out when I can. Bear with me, its not a personal assault, just trying to "keep the peace"
as it were...

To me I always thought putting dogs who are already have the tendencies to be animal aggressive and territorial on a chain within a good view and distance of other dogs or animals....even (or rather [b]"especially"[/b]) if it is for their saftey, always seemed a bit...like dangling chocolate in front of me chained up. I don't know if I could handle that :-? :lol: If it went on for days on end I would NOT be a happy camper either...

*Seems* like it would promote the aggression to me more than anything, but thats just my take. I can't speak from experience with these breeds though. Never owned a pittie, or rot.

Other than my dobie thats the hardest tempered dog I've raised. Had I raised my dobie this way I'm positive she would have turned out pretty bad because we had some really bad issues with her in the beginning raising her. My lab would probably have been perfectly fine because of her natural submissiveness and lack of drive. At this point in my dobies life I don't think with all the work we've done with her she'd turn out that way if there was this change.

It all depends I guess...

Not the way I'd choose to raise a dog or prefer to see one raised.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hmmmm'][quote name='mydogroxy'][quote name='anne3149']Why not build privacy fencing at least 6ft high and there is no need then to chain your dogs. [/quote]
that's not neccesarily true. many dogs, pit bulls included, can easily clear a six foot fence.[/quote]
Not only could pits easily scale a six foot high fence but if I allowed my dogs to roam around together I would come home to a large number of dead dogs. I would much rather chain them than come home to that![/quote]

Why have them chained in the first place? Dogs belong INSIDE with people. A dog wants nothing more than to curl up next to their master and have a snooze rather than sitting outside chained up....

People who have no space or time for their dogs shouldn't own them in the first place... get a gold fish :evil:

Allot of the reasons for not chaining dogs seems to revolve around the "pack instinct", and "bonding needs". I would have to say that my dogs are more bonded to each other than me precisely becauase of the pack instinct. They respect me as pack leader, but rely on each other for companianship and on certain pack members for leadership. There are a couple dogs who are in charge (both female 8) ) and the rest have a fairly stable pecking order, with the youngest puppy being at the bottom of the pole, so to speak. They enjoy each others' company more than mine, I'm sure... :-? The dog yard is set up in such a way that they can all see each other and ajacent dogs are able to touch and play dish hockey. (This is a husky phenomena where at feeding time certain dogs will have all the food bowls, due to the fact that they pass them around, and if you play right, you'll have all of them.) Some dogs are better at it than others. I would have to back up Hmmmm also in refuting idea that because my dogs are chained they aren't in good shape. Quite the contrary. Like I said earlier, 1000 miles plus of training and racing miles makes for some pretty rock hard dogs. During a race they could be petted or handled by upwards of 100 people. Under- socialized/trained dogs could not perform under these circumstances.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDjAqoZZEjkhh0llLHNusBdlFLJyzSqLQZU6l2377dpRv1KjYKEen13As5lueJCBgEWPgnRuyrcmQL1!PB!sr1k6LnEDYOcDxNblwaWN7A0xgBf963dUfaXIZl5Jn3S/EMPIRE%2004.jpg?dc=4675469737644739663[/img]

Personally, I won't chain my dogs for a lot of reasons. One of which is that I'd just rather have them in the house with me. The second major reason is that Elmo would think he was [i]dying[/i] if I made him stay outside! :lol: I have never known a dog who dislikes to be outside as much as this little nutcase. He's fine with me taking him outside to play with him, going for walks (if it's not raining- he firmly believes that he might melt), playing fetch or agility (in which case, apparently, he is protected from melting, as he doesn't mind rain), etc. He enjoys that. Afterwards, he wants to come [i]inside[/i]!

If I go out into the backyard to do some yardwork, he'll come out and watch me for a short time, then go back into the house in disgust. :lol: (Tully will stay outside and play while I work) He does go outside as needed for potty breaks- he is very well housebroken, and has a dog door he can use when I am home.

I took Elmo camping once. Dogs love to camp, right? Wrong! Elmo [i]hated[/i] it! He was absolutely miserable. He wanted back to his recliner! He wouldn't sleep at night until I let him into my sleeping bag, then he pushed me off the air mattress so he could have the whole thing. We went home a day early, much to his relief!

The final major reason I would not chain my dogs outside is the same reason my dog door is blocked off, keeping the dogs inside, when I am gone. Bully breed dogs are frequent targets of theft. Putting a dog outside where it could easily be gotten to is just asking for it. I've already had Elmo stolen from [i]inside[/i] the house. Apparently, when they realized they'd taken a middle-aged, neutered dog they dumped him, as I recovered him the next day. But, I won't risk theft again. My dogs stay inside, with the Brinks security system to protect them.

Guest Anonymous

Omigoodness..someone stole your dog?
I hear so many of those cases...it's always coming up from one owner or another...
I totally agree, bully breeds are always targets... another good reason to keep em inside... I take my pit everywhere with me so she's barely home (although leaving her in the car is probably more reason to get worried to death! :o ) and I doubt anybody would wanna steal my chubby 7 year old Chihuahua with a gimped leg...yeah he usually stays home...the little guy is the most aggressive dog I've ever seen..he hates everyone and everything...lol bit my apartment super intendent...

lol ANYWHO.... :roll:

I think when we say "would you ever chain a dog" the question is too broad. I don't think the "chaining or tethering" is the actual issue - it's the reason behind the chaining that is the problem.

I see nothing at all wrong with tethering dogs in a situations like Pumpkins or Hmmms. However the scenario I do have a problem with is the family that has a single dog, chain it up outside and the only interaction the dog gets with it's family is to have food bowl dropped in front of it once a day.

• 9 months later...

Smokie has a dog house, with a chain. My parents live in a residential area so it's a must. He only goes on the chain though if he has to poop usually. If he has to pee, he takes off so quick and pee's before we can reach for the chain, lol. He deffiently prefers to be inside. In the summers though, he does enjoy being outside, and he has a nice cool shaded area, where he may spend hours out there. He doesn't complain. If he doesn't want to come off his chain yet, he simply won't come in the door. I honestly don't see anything wrong with leaving your dog outside on a chain for certain periods. Now if you have a dog constantly on the chain outside, what kind of life is that? I think that's sad now. .

I think your situation is a bit different. Your dog basically chooses whether he is on the chain outside or inside with you. Ideally it would be great if every dog had a huge fenced yard and free access doggy door but that isn't realistic probably. So your dog is safely contained and can come in when he wants, that's not a problem.

None of my dogs have ever been on a chain...I think they would go ape if I chained them.

Though I have a small yard, they have 24/7 outside access. They choose to be indoors with me. They do get plenty of exercise, walked every day and are able to have a good run in a secure area.

Well I use a tie out when I take Sassy out, she can get through our fence, and I have to keep her & Zeus apart because of fights.. And Zeus would rather be outside all day then inside. He enjoys it he has full run of the Backyard & and he has a large dog house, and plenty of shade..

[quote name='DogPaddle']I think your situation is a bit different. Your dog basically chooses whether he is on the chain outside or inside with you. Ideally it would be great if every dog had a huge fenced yard and free access doggy door but that isn't realistic probably. So your dog is safely contained and can come in when he wants, that's not a problem.[/quote]

Absoultely true. I just wanted to share a positive story. Even though I know there are many negative :(.

We have 2 small chains(not heave) attached to the mail box on the side of the garage. My dad was going to get a fence but the neighbor behind us has his come back to far and we have to wait for the ground to thaw.
They're only chained when we can't hold the leashes(repairing the vehicles,mowing the lawn,snowblowng,gardening etc)