Dogomania

The Perfect Dog Does Not Exist (article)

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

Found this on MSN:

Finding the Perfect Dog
There is no such animal. So, stop looking.
By Jon Katz
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2004, at 5:46 AM PT

Americans love animals and know little about them. We are used to convenience and short cuts; we respond to marketing. Meanwhile, the pet industry needs to move a lot of animals, so it promotes the idea that there's a Perfect Dog for everyone.

[img]http://img.slate.msn.com/media/1/123125/2083697/2096575/2100605/040517_PerfectDoggie.jpg[/img]

The Perfect Dog is an enticing fantasy pooch. It's the dog that instantly learns to pee outdoors, never menaces or frightens children, plays gently with other dogs, won't jump on the UPS guy, never rolls in gross things, eats only the appropriate food at the right time, and never chews anything not meant for him. This dog does not exist.

(The Perfect Dog is first cousin to the equally yearned-for Disney Dog. That's the one who loves you alone, who will sacrifice his life to pull your toddler back from the busy street, who will cross 1,000 miles of towering snowdrifts to find you if you accidentally leave him behind in the Arctic. I want such a dog, but I don't have one. Mine would make their way to the nearest deli and stay there.)

The peddling of Perfect Dogs amounts to a multibillion dollar business in the United States. You'll never see images of ugly dogs vomiting in the living room or terrorizing the letter carrier on dog food commercials. Those dogs

excellent article! I especially like the reference to the "Disney Dogs"...no, they're not all Lassie, or 101 Dalmations, or Rin Tin Tin...they all could be, if the owner wanted to put in the effort. But like he says, they dont come that way.

and Alas! I do NOT have perfect dogs....Freebee is anal-ballistic, and Laurel is fearful and timid. That's why I have them, so some shelter doesnt. Good job Mr. Katt, for pointing it out. It should be required reading before getting a dog.