Dogomania

Why does he do that?

kendalyn

I finally have to ask. I'm just too curious and I'm hoping someone has an idea.

Whenever I lay down on the floor Buck goes nuts! He is so happy! It's like he just won the lottery. And he shows his joy by trying to burrow under me. It's the weirdest thing. Here's how it goes:

1. I lay down on the floor
2. Buck rushes over to me and sniffs my head like a mad man
3. Buck licks my head
4. He starts pushing his head under my body
5. I tell him for goodness sake to lay down! And he does.

Does anybody elses dog do this? If I let him, Buck will try to burrow under me until he finally succeeds. :roll: As soon as part of my body is completely on top of him (a leg or an arm or something), he calms down and lays there. If I move my leg or whatever was on top of him, he does it again.

And the next thing is just a weird Buck thing. He will bravely and selflessly defend the yard from all manner of blowing plastic bag or spooky wind, but has no problem with several strange men reaching into my car to pet him at the gas station while I'm inside. I pop in to get a gallon of milk and these 3 dudes on motorcycles said he was whining and crying for some attention. It was nice of them to keep him company I suppose. What a baby! :lol:

So yeah, if anyone knows why he goes so nuts about me on the floor, I'd love to know!

Guest Anonymous

With our dogs, when they see us in a "new" position or a position they associate with perhaps play...they can act silly and goofy. One of my dogs gets very excited when I get down on the floor with her...they can also associate of see things differently on different levels...for example alot of dogs can become much more aggressive in a car due to being on a different level and seeing people differently....and some dogs just associate all people as friendly and possible playmates even in a car...the same dog which associates all people as friendly may find a leaf blowing to be a small little prey object to chase and kill :wink:

Your dog sounds lovely and must have received alot of positive experiences in life. Cherish all the "fun" moments you have and encourage all "happy" play times. :wink:

hehhee cute!
Boomie bows on his front legs when i lie down:P
and when i have my head down with my arms crossed over them with my face hiding, Boomer will take his nose his dig into the whole untill he is close enough to lock my face :P
Maybe Buck wants a good rolling-around fun, with belly rubs :D:P lol whenever I AM comfortable, Boomer thinx that that is the best time for a belly rub :P

[quote name='kendalyn']So yeah, if anyone knows why he goes so nuts about me on the floor, I'd love to know![/quote]
Me, too. My Tucker Lab gets so boisterous if I get on the floor that he hurts me sometimes. He wants to play sooooooooo bad, but he doesn't realize that his middle name isn't Grace and that he's a pretty big boy and sometimes all four of his legs and feet decide to go their own way and do different things which usually leads to some form of pain for me (a toenail skewered into the meatiest flesh it can find, an elbow dropped into my temple putting me into a momentary state of suspended animation, the obligatory butthole swipe across my forehead I can do without, not to mention the biggest Kong toy I've ever seen that must weigh about 40 lbs that he drops right across the bridge of my nose in an effort to initiate a game of fetch...). I feel bad "fussing" at him for being so rough because he's all heart, but he sure does mangle me up trying to play. He's the most obedient dog I've ever known and is usually all manners, but if I get down on the floor, he gets a case of the stoopits. :oops:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZgDzAp8gh6uHJusLSR!3T4Eo8GBmLmvxTkqjk73irC*67l4J1wMlzoisQSOR!XHGqTevCBhZwCZP7JJeP7uFJpAZa79mBHBjYk2YwHrBi1J4*k1*obPkNk11tVqQAZfeBJE5Ia34kAleSR2NXzRg9A/good%20boy%20Tucker.JPG?dc=4675379077582745599[/img]

I'm with HF :lol: The rest of you guys have it easy, when I lay on the floor, Goo thinks it's time to play the "mash me!" game, and comes trotting over, then steamrolls across my back/head before playbowing and trampling me in her excitement (and repeating). I have to either mash her first, or direct her to another spot or I'm good as flat :o

Everyones posts made me laugh. Zebra does something similar. I'll sit on the floor and he will stick his face right next to mine and start to lick me. Then he will bring me a toy and just lay down next to me. It realy is very cute. :D

LOL at everyone's posts :lol:
BK goes spastic when I lie on the floor too... I don't know why, maybe it's because he's taller than me if I'm on the ground? He gets extra excited if he's the one who's knocked me over in the first place by barrelling over to me at a million miles an hour and forgetting to stop, or playing chicken (naturally this always happens in a public place, like the dog park). Tomson gets even more excited (actually all the dachshunds have been this way), he will do everything short of biting me to get me to play with him if I'm lying down on the grass.

I'm with K. Way too dangerous... LOL.
My guys think its " PIG PILE " on mommy time.. They all race to lay on me first, and my guys are not light weights. They chew at my hair and earnings. No way will you catch me on the floor. But my son X is a different story. He sleeps on the floor in order to have all the dogs with him. He plays " Pig pile " with them all the time. :roll:

so do mine. walk on me, nuzzle me, sniff me, lick me....

it may be pack behavior of a kind. When the Alpha "gets down" with the rest of the pack they will all nuzzle him and lick him. It makes the pack feel secure, and also makes the alpha out to be a gentle, kindly king. (which they usually are)

alpha's will often play with the puppies, in this manner. Our dogs never really reach the stage of full wolf maturity. they kinda hang around in wolf
adolesence for their whole lives. so getting a chance to play with the alpha is a big thing for them.

:D

At least I know I'm not alone! Looks like this is a very common thing :lol: Our dogs are just all nuts!

[quote]Lay down on the floor?????? NOOOOOOO

WAY to dangerous[/quote]

He does get quite rowdy! He stepped on my face once and it hurt like the dickens

[quote]Your dog sounds lovely and must have received alot of positive experiences in life[/quote]

Thanks doggylover! (BTW, why don't you join? :) ) I found him starving in the woods while I was in Kentucky on vacation. I took him home and he's been the best dog ever! I guess we both found a good thing...

Guest Anonymous

Cody comes over and licks my face then plops down on me. now if i do it with Zoey and i have a hair tie in my hair, she eats it out of my head and then bows down and jumps on me ( after wiggling her butt to get some speed i guess lol ) i'm as good as dead if i lay down on the floor.