Dogomania

UK BAN ON CZECH WOLFDOG - PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION

Guest Anonymous

Foxes?? :-?
Yes, everyone run, the scary foxes are comming to eat your kids!! :drinking: :roll:

I remember once on tv it was reported that coyotes had began returning to forest park. One of the first things the reporter asked was whether or not the coyotes were dangerous.

~Seij

Although I really dont think these dogs or wolves or hybrids or whatever you want to call them should be bred at all, the ones still here shouldnt be banned. I wouldnt call them wild but Im sure wolf tendencies are very dominant in these canines.

The more I start writing about this the more I get confused on where I stand because even though Im against banning breeds whatsoever Im also against breeding. So if this "breed" was never created, there wouldnt be such a big problem about hybrids. Then again people will be breeding hybrids anyway, right? People just cant resist exotic animals can they? :roll: :evil:

I dont think this should be a new breed because there is already so many breeds accepted and in the making. Why cant we just stick to the breeds we have now and work to improve them instead of creating new ones that are supposedly supposed to be healthier. But anyway Im getting off subject. :lol:

Wild animals shouldnt be keep as pets and even now we have many, many years to go if we are to ever domesticate them, which I dont think people should. Because some bring wild animals into their homes, it gives those creatures a bad name! I wish they would just leave nature alone then there wouldnt be problems with this whole thing.

As far as interactions with nature and ourselves, its hard (especially now since people are overpopulating the Earth (grrrr :evil: )) to keep the wild and cities away from each other. So no matter what we are going to have more and more problems with wild animals attacking us to prtect themselves, offspring, or home.

I think we have to clear two things:

1) [quote]However, dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years. Wolves have not. [/quote]

It's not true. Some of the shepherds which origin is Europe have a lot of wolfsblood (if you will get the photos made about 1900 you will see some of them look exactly like wolfdogs). Even in the beginning of last century wolfdogs were used for breeding by German Shepherd Dogs. Just take a look on the Breed Books... Don't forget also some nordic breeds or for example Laikas. "Thousands of years of domestification" is in some cases just a fairy tale... 8)

2)[quote] lot of times its not the potential dominance problems which makes wolfdogs/wolves the WRONG choice of pet for someone who doesn't know anything about them. [/quote]

Please don't mix two concepts: recognized breeds and "typical" wolfdogs. "Wolfdogs" are mostly F1 or F2 crossing and there is huge difference between Wolfdogs and CzW/Saarloos acording the character. Especially when we are talking about "Czechs". Saarloos and Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs are recognized breeds by F.C.I. (by the way Saarloos is almost as old as German Shepherd Dog... ;)) - in the most cases they have wolves in the 12-15 generation....
Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as breed was made in 1955 for the Czech Army. For over 30 years the only aim was to breed working dogs that can be used for protecting the state borders. The soldiers had no scruples: they eliminated all shy and aggresive dogs and left only these which passed the working exams.
Sure these dogs look like wolves. There are two reasons for it: the genes responsible for exterier are stronger by wolves than by dogs and the offspring were looking exactly like wolves. 2nd: as you can read in the standard: Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs is "In body shape, movement, coat texture, colour of coat and mask, similar to the wolf". It means the breeders try to breed dogs which look exactly like wolves...but with character of a dog.

I own three Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs. The male is a pet dog. With both females we passed 9 working exams within 2 years (obedience, tracking, exams for rescue dogs, aso.). And we are just starting (and training just for fun) and we are also not the best.
I don't want to advertise this breed - like all true working dog breeds also Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs require very experienced owners. But an experienced owner can make a lot with them... :) Because they are not more dominant/shy/agressive than other dogs I know...

foxes, coyotes, and wolves, dont, as a genreal rule attack people. They are afraid of us. (as well they should be, considering what we've done to them) The wild canid that attacks is either protecting it's den (which we wandered into) or rabid. sick in some way. That cant be helped. Rabid and sick dogs have attacked people too. But because these animals are "wild", people want them eliminated. I cant tell you the arguments I have had with people about "wanting to able to let their small children wander 'free' in the forest preserves". !!!!!!!!

there are lakes, creeks, rivers, ponds, raccoons, possums, skunks. ALL of which can be detrimental to a small child....who in their right mind lets a small child wander off into a forest???????? alone, without adult supervision????? I'm sorry, but some people shouldnt be allowed to have KIDS either.

they dont seem concerned that the skunks, raccoons and possums ALL can carry rabies....or that their kid could DROWN unsupervised in any of the above....they want to get rid of the "wild" animals. (and they were thinking that raccoons, skunks and possums are TAME????)

[quote name='Margo']I think we have to clear two things:

1) [quote]However, dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years. Wolves have not. [/quote]

It's not true. Some of the shepherds which origin is Europe have a lot of wolfsblood (if you will get the photos made about 1900 you will see some of them look exactly like wolfdogs). Even in the beginning of last century wolfdogs were used for breeding by German Shepherd Dogs. Just take a look on the Breed Books... Don't forget also some nordic breeds or for example Laikas. "Thousands of years of domestification" is in some cases just a fairy tale... 8)

2)[quote] lot of times its not the potential dominance problems which makes wolfdogs/wolves the WRONG choice of pet for someone who doesn't know anything about them. [/quote]

Please don't mix two concepts: recognized breeds and "typical" wolfdogs. "Wolfdogs" are mostly F1 or F2 crossing and there is huge difference between Wolfdogs and CzW/Saarloos acording the character. Especially when we are talking about "Czechs". Saarloos and Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs are recognized breeds by F.C.I. (by the way Saarloos is almost as old as German Shepherd Dog... ;)) - in the most cases they have wolves in the 12-15 generation....
Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as breed was made in 1955 for the Czech Army. For over 30 years the only aim was to breed working dogs that can be used for protecting the state borders. The soldiers had no scruples: they eliminated all shy and aggresive dogs and left only these which passed the working exams.
Sure these dogs look like wolves. There are two reasons for it: the genes responsible for exterier are stronger by wolves than by dogs and the offspring were looking exactly like wolves. 2nd: as you can read in the standard: Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs is "In body shape, movement, coat texture, colour of coat and mask, similar to the wolf". It means the breeders try to breed dogs which look exactly like wolves...but with character of a dog.

I own three Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs. The male is a pet dog. With both females we passed 9 working exams within 2 years (obedience, tracking, exams for rescue dogs, aso.). And we are just starting (and training just for fun) and we are also not the best.
I don't want to advertise this breed - like all true working dog breeds also Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs require very experienced owners. But an experienced owner can make a lot with them... :) Because they are not more dominant/shy/agressive than other dogs I know...[/quote]

Well said I wanted to mention the same things but you already did it for me :lol: . To many of you guys are classifying the Czech Wolfdog as a regular "Wolf Hybrid" they are far from it. Most Rotties and Shepherds I've seen are far more aggressive than dogs of these breed.

Do they need special training and handlers? Yes they do. But not anymore so then oh lets say a Pitbull....

"Please don't mix two concepts: recognized breeds and "typical" wolfdogs. "Wolfdogs" are mostly F1 or F2 crossing and there is huge difference between Wolfdogs and CzW/Saarloos acording the character."

Oh, sorry, I guess I should have mentioned I was talking about regualar wolfdogs, not the wolfdog breeds. True, wolfdogs of recent wolf origin show more wolf-like behavior than the wolfdog BREEDS which are far removed from recent wolf heritage and are in all sensibility, dogs.

"So if this "breed" was never created, there wouldnt be such a big problem about hybrids."

The same can be said for any breed. It is not just wolfdogs (wolf hybrids) who suffer from being abandoned and put in shelters. HUNDREDS of other dogs are put in shelters all the time, of every breed, and every mix. Wolves were bred with dogs because people wanted them. That is the reason we have ANY dogs, because people wanted them. I don't think it is wrong to make wolfdogs or wolfdog breeds, no more than I think it is wrong to breed collies! I just hate seeing the result of overpopulation caused by overbreeding, and seeing the result of animals being placed in homes that can't care for them properly.

~Seij

[quote name='__crazy_canine__'][quote name='Edgar']Do they need special training and handlers? Yes they do. But not anymore so then oh lets say a Pitbull....[/quote]

What is that supposed to mean? :-? Maybe Im taking this the wrong way but I find that offensive...[/quote]

What it means is that pitbulls require a special sort of owner, they are not the dog for everyone and require a high degree of responsibility. Much more than say with a golden retriever or yorkie.

Th Czech Wolfdog also has its own set of special requirements and as a result requires special owners. i.e. They too are not for everyone.

Nothing to be insulted by.

• 2 years later...

I would like to make an update: Czechoslovakian and Saarloos wolfdogs has been banned in the UK. The reason for it is the existence of wolf in the pedigree. There were no studies made, UK authorities didn't see a single Czechoslovakian or Saarloos wolfdog in order to ban them. They did it based on the opinion: comes from wolf = must be bad ;)

• 13 years later...