Dogomania

Rescue Poll

Guest Anonymous

Are you actively involved in rescue? (Volunteering, fostering, transporting,etc.)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you actively involved in rescue? (Volunteering, fostering, transporting,etc.)

• Yes
    • No- I don't really feel it is necessary/ I don't want to/Don't like the idea
    • No- but plan to in the future
    • No- overpopulation is not a problem in my country/area
    • No- was in the past, but no longer am

Guest Anonymous

I have been wanting to take a poll like this one a board that seems to have a good variety of people on it. This seems like a good place for it.

(Hopefully, I did the poll right)

Once you vote, please feel free to elaborate

I don't at the moment but my dog and my two kittens came from the shelter. I tried volunteering at the shelter but it was too upsetting, so I just donate food, blankets etc. I would really like to operate a tiny rescue but as I still live at home it's not viable. Hopefully one day in the future when I have my own place and some money I can do something, though the way I'm going it won't be until I'm an old-age pensioner!

Guest Mutts4Me

Does exotic rescue count? I'm spending my summer at a Refuge for Big Cats and other "exotic pets."

Dog and cat rescue is something I'm interested and have plans to do in the future.

I adopted both of my mixed up girls, I have volunteered at the local SPCA, I have donated items to a local rescue group and helped them with their adoption stand. I am currently active in Belgian Shepherd Rescue. I am signed up for identifying, evaluation, transport, and training assistance.

We groom dogs from the local animal rescue legue for free...and I also donate "good" food :lol: :wink:
I also donate my time helping out with the local SPCA (prevention to cruelity to animals) I have fostered many many puppies & dogs which have been abdonded, neglected, abused, shot etc....

My Rottie was confisacted by the SPCA and given to me, and my dobie x I found half starved...so I rescued him as well :wink:
I also dedicate alot of my time to Newfoundland dog rescue as well.

The vet clinic I work at also does alot of work for the SPCA...free medical procedures and we keep the animals until we find them homes.

No- Well not yet. I plan on Volenteering at my local humane society as soon as I get my driver license. So hopefully in the next month and a half. I eventualy want to work for he SPCA and make saving animals my life career. :D

And of course my dog is a rescue. :P

[quote]I eventualy want to work for he SPCA and make saving animals my life career[/quote]
A friend of mine is an SPCA officer full time...it can be a rewarding job, and at other times it can be a big time heart breaking job. The SPCA officers see the worst neglect cases :( I could tell you stories of some of the pick ups she has brought to us)...and the frustration when there is legally nothing you can do to step in to confiscate an animal...the biggest heart break she has is the fact that she is unable to close down a local puppy mill...the place is awful and they mass produce pups...but, they keep things "just" within a proper housing for animals...they are just border line legal...and there is nothing she can do...although she raids the place occasionally and will take the bitches and dogs which are finished breeding....she cannot legally take the younger bitches, dogs or pups....its very very sad.

I voted no, since I am a Ph.D. student time and money are in short supply right now, but:

I did get my beautiful doggie from a shelter.

I help out with a couple rescues in the area getting the word out about available dogs and I even found a friend to adopt 1 so far.

In the future I would like to either foster for a shelter or run my own little shelter, seems like that's a popular idea around here :P

I voted;
No- but plan to in the future. Where I live there isn't a big overpopulation problem, as far as I know there is only one real shelter in the country. And only about 400 dogs pass through there every year- of them about 300 are runaways that get returned to their owners. And you have to be 18 to do any volunteering there :( :x so I couldn't do anything anyway.
A while ago I convinced my teacher to try to collect some money to send down to a shelter in Spain ([url]http://datawebben.com/sos/[/url] is their adress) but that sort of failed because hardly anyone in my class paid. :evil: I think I collected a measly $30 or so. :roll: But I don't plan to live in Sweden my entire life, and once I get out of here I will definatly rescue. Now that dogs don't have to go through the quarantine (sp?) I'm thinking that maybe I could get my next dog from a shelter somewhere and then bring it here, if I still live here when its time to get another dog.

Almost all my dogs and cats are rescue cases

Lola - her original owner had her in a bad condition and gave her to us

Guilligan - he was a street dog who got in our house someday and it seems he doesn't has plans to go.

Gohan - A friend bought him in a pet store and gave us the cat 'cause he wanted a female :evil: stupid reason.

Gabriel & Gabriela. Our recent rescue last week. Found them in the street.

Tabatha. Born at my parents house, the only one who has been a loved pet all her life.

So i voted Yes. :)

• 3 years later...

:( [B]The whole time I was looking for my new puppy I new I wanted a puppy that "really" needed a home, thats why when I saw that he was the runt and dirty and looked a bit unhealthy I said he was coming with me right now!!! I want to be able to rescue and do all those things for animals in need and I do what I can In my immediate neighborhood but I am currently going trough therapy right now and just leaving my apartment is a hassle and a scary thing for me, so maybe sometime down the road...:roll:[/B]