Dogomania

Brittany Spaniels Vs Welsh Springer Spaniels

Aroura

Has anyone had experience with the two breeds?

I know its early for me to be looking into other breeds, but I love having a big dog and don't want a breed that is at all likely to turn aggressive, this decision about Lily is breaking my heart so much and I would never want to go through something similar again, I'm really going to look into breeders before buying, Lilys breeder left a lot to be desired of her, but I thought that because she was a pedigree that meant she had good lines - apparently she's not the first in her lines to turn aggressive.

I want a dog as docile as possible, yet intellegent and energetic, which is why I'm considering these two breeds. I love doing agility and would like a dog who would love it as much as me. Lily loves agility, and she was just getting really good at it, she's been getting first place in obedience too ever since I started taking her. I wish I could keep going with her :cry:

I've heard of something called Springer rage syndrome which is thought to be some sort of seizure of sorts that causes a normally placid happy go lucky dog to attack whatever is closest for a few soconds
and then go back to its tailwagging self. I don't know too much more about it though. Perhaps Ellieangel could help out with that info since she is a springer person? ( and sorry Z to bring up that aspect of your breed :oops:, but I thought Aroura should get a whole picture type of view, which of course includes negatives.)

a truly gentle dog would be a Golden Retriever, or Lab. They still need proper training. and dominance, but I think you could handle that.

Goldens need more grooming, Lab's need more exercise, and training.

They are, in most situations, if trained properly and treated properly, very
easy dogs to have and get along with. I think you could do all of that.

It might do you some good to have an "easy" dog, for a while.

I might get flamed for this, but if yu can find a "Golden Lab" I would go for that. I had one. he was exceptional, and I miss him greatly....

Not at all Hillside :wink:

Actually rage is very rare in springers......it's usually cockers that will have this and even then it is rare.

Aroura I think the breeds you mentioned and English Springers are all very similar in temperament....I have obviously only ever had Springers myself but they are great dogs and very versatile.....an aggressive springer is very rare.....in fact I have never met one.....I have met a couple of timid ones but never aggressive......most are bold happy-go-lucky attention seekers that just love to be around people.

Also they are,in general a hardy breed,HD occasionally rears it's ugly head and the parents must always be eye tested (the name of the disease this is relevant to escapes me :roll: )but so long as you get your dog from reputable sources there should be no worries there.

I don't know what the situation is like over there but regarding English Springers you tend to have the breed split in 2,working and show....both of mine are from working lines,they are smaller and are often bred for better characteristics than the show ones,a working Springer has to be a tough little dog and Ellie was bred because her parents were both excellent gundogs and they had people begging for pups,also the breeder was a vet so all the health tests were carried out too although Ellie didn't have KC registration....not that it bothers me one bit.

Ellie has been very easy to train too,although they can have a stubborn streak but you have the experience to not let that be a problem I'm sure.

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease get a springer :D

which brings up something I have always wondered about. It's the Red Cockers that seem to suffer from "rage syndrome", and now you say it's more prevalent in "Red Springers"...

Is it the color? Red Headed people are generally known for being more snappish than non-redheads as well. Around here it's jokingly called the "Irish temper"....and in people, it is more like a rage syndrome. A sudden blowing up, the person snaps, and it's all over. Where is Science Doc? Maybe she knows....

My boyfriend doesn't like spaniels, and seeing as he will have to live with it too I've decided we'll buy a dog that we both like. A whippet.

BUT I'm hoping to drag him along to a dog show and change his mind to get a spaniel!!! The welsh springers seem a lovely breed, and I've even found myself a top breeder who I've been emailing :wink:

Might be able to convert him yet :P

Guest Anonymous

Working with dogs in a grooming shop we deal with ALOT of spaniels...we have a couple of springers which suffer from the rage syndrome. We also have a few Springers I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them...who knows if its the breeding as these are from show lines...but, boy...they are not very pleasant to work with.

You know what would be really nice for you is to go to the local animal rescue center and save a life. You can find some wonderfully stable well mannered pups and dogs which really need a home and lots of love. You could look them over to see which one would best suit your needs. I have adopted many dogs from the shelter and I have been very happy with all of my dogs...alot of my friends get purebreeds from champion lines and some times have ended up with neurotic unstable dogs. Luck of the draw and lines I guess :-?

I'm a bit worried about going to a rescue, as I've said I really want to know where the lines are coming from - if I'd looked more into Lilys breeder and the dogs she bred I may have not got Lily, she is not the first aggressive one to pop up from her lines. I'm happy to help lives of dogs in need, I volunteer my time for the RSPCA and have my name down to care for animals until they find a new home - but I don't want one for myself. I want to get a puppy from good lines, which is why I'm emailing breeders to find out about thier lines, most good breeders will be honest and I would only buy from someone who I felt was being honest with me.