Dogomania

what a horrible day...

Sunday, I was working at the resturaunt and found out one of my co-workers (and friends) had died in a car accident. I was devestated and came home to find that India was missing. Buddy is still missing, after two months, and I'm finding it very hard to deal with. So India was gone, too. It had been raining all day, so I assumed she had waited to be let in and everyone was too lazy to get up and look out when the rain started to see if she was there. When it started raining, after dark, and just pouring down, and she still hadn't come back, I started to worry. I thought of calling my friend, who lives up the road, to see if there was any sign of her, but by that time it was midnight. I went to sleep and got up thinking about India, and still feeling really horrible about my friend. Then my mother came in and asked me if I knew where her cat was. "no, why?" I asked, and she told me there was an orange cat in the road. I checked it out, it wasn't her cat, I moved it off the road, and was late to work at the college. They've got this PE teacher instructing ESL....he doesn't know what to do and they won't even let me have the key to the closet but expect me to lead this class of low-to-non-english speaking people. (NOT my job--i'm supposed to grade papers) So on the way home, I stop by the pound (twice weekly, looking for buddy) and see many pitbulls, all friendly and beautiful and they've been coming in three or four a week since that story about the little boy in charlotte being mauled. ANYWAY, on the way home, my mom suddenly remembers seeing a black dog five or six miles from the house, in the road. So I went and checked it out. The dog was destroyed beyong recognition, but it was all black and the right size to be India. I sobbed all the way home and went to the library, looking for something to do. I sobbed as I looked for books and dvds. I sobbed on the way home, and as I came in, my brother mentioned that Brenda, my friend up the road, had called to say she had India. I started laughing and crying and went to get her. As I came in, my friend pointed toward the bedroom, and i held my breath. India appeared and I started crying all over again. I picked her up (not something I usually do) and hugged her and kissed her and she got playful and bit my arms and hair and I didn't care...I was sooooo glad to have her back.

so....sorry I ranted on so long! there was no one else to tell my terrible, horrible, day to.

Aww that really was an awful day for you but with a happy ending with finding India. That feeling when a pet goes missing and you find evidence of them being hit by a car is soul destroying. October 2 years ago I was at uni at night and my Mum called to say my neighbour had said he had seen a little tabby and white cat hit by the side of the road with blood on her face and she ran off before he could get her. Abby my little scottish wild cat is the only tabby around where we live so after bombing it home in the car and going out to look for her, I found her wee name disc smashed up in the middle of the road, along with spots of blood. I sobbed my heart out, as I looked for that wee cat that night and had Meg with me. I had given Meg the scent of Abby from Abby's blanket and we searched all around and in the orchard near us, Meg ran up to me with a tiny fragment of Abby's collar in her mouth. She really does have a great nose on her. That give me fresh hope that she was still alive after she had been hit, but after searching for hours I came back home and cried myself to sleep. At about 2am, Mum came into my room and said the words I had been longing to hear; Shes back! She was cut all over her pretty little face, with a broken tooth and she was very sore all over, and Zoe my Golden sensing that jumped out of her bed and nudged her very gently and Abby slept in Zoes bed for a few nights until she could jump again.

That night changed Abby psychologically and for some time after she was terrified to go outside, which was incredibly unusual being a wild cat and she had always loved being out. She became more affectionate too, and even now 2 and abit years on, that wee cat will still not stay out for any length of time.

When you feel that moment of knowing your pet has been hit is just horrible and I am so so very glad that you got your India back.

I;m SOOOOOOO glad India is home!!

A long while ago my Golden escaped, and I dreaded getting the call saying that he had been hit by a car. I searched and searched, and couldnt find him. Then, the phone rang. He was at the local animal shelters, some constructin workers had coaxed him off the road and taken him in. He was so filthy I didnt even recognize him, and he was found 6 miles from home...

It's SOOOO good to know India is back with you. That's a heart stopper...

:angel: :angel:

Hopefully, Buddy will turn up too...hugs and prayers to you

I am so glad India came back! I've had that feeling with BK a few times (the former Houdini of dogdom in his younger hellraising days) and it's not pleasant. When Lily went missing a couple of months ago I think the sleepless, cold, awful night I spent searching for her was worse than actually finding her cold the next day. I still really miss her even though we have 2 lovely inside kittens now. :cry: :cry:

I too have experienced that terrible sick feeling of a loved pet gone missing. Last year I was in Pennsylvania with Jesse; I had left the girls with my mother in Maryland. The day after I got there, my mom called to say Candy has escaped the yard and could not be found. Mom had already been out searching on foot and by car for a couple of hours. After working to calm my mom down and hanging up the phone, I burst into tears. I was preparing to pack up and head back home. Being so far away I felt truly helpless and scared sick. I had told my mom when she went looking again to take Brittany with her. About 1/2 hour later, mom called, she had Candy! Sure enough, Candy had seen Brittany and come racing out of the bushes. She had been ignoring my mom calling her name the whole time. She was just around the corner from moms house. My mom won't keep Candy for me anymore. 8) It scared her too badly for Candy to sneak away like that and I certainly understand!

:angel: Shyanne, a med size girl, cream in color with a white heart on her forhead, only 2 yrs old, got hit by a car while I and my fellow at the time was gone only for a few hours. Unknow to me his father came in and the dogs got out. He never bothered to try to get them back in and she got hit. I was almost half way home and I "knew" something was wrong, didnt know what because she should have been safely put up. I found her shortly after I got home. I had her from the first day she was born and there was a special conection between us and I miss her greatly, still, 7 years later :bigcry:
Im so happy that your is safely at home

thanks everyone for your replies...I didn't think others would realize that feeling...once, a very large white kitten got killed in the road. I have a very large white cat and was super disturbed by that kitten. It got so that I couldn't even drive by it--I'd close my eyes. after two or three days, the owners removed it, and I felt MUCH better. I'm hoping Buddy returns soon...today I think I'm gonna put up posters, and go door to door. I just can't see any reason for him not being home yet...he's such a pest, nothing stops him from getting outside, so I don't see why he has not come home yet...