Dogomania

Dogs ARE protectin against burglary

another police chief (cant remember his name) here in Chicago, was giving tips in the best things you can do to protect your house when you're not there. At the end, there were two bully dogs barking up a storm behind a fence, because they were there...and he said "THIS cant be beat...dogs are noisy, most prowlers wont want to deal with them...."

WOO HOO!!

we've known that for a long time.....

8)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, but, you can still be sued if the dog bites a person....even on your own property.

I have been told that if you actually have a warning sign "beware of dog" you are admitting that you have a potentially dangerous dog...."some one" told me if you put up a sign that just states the breed of dog on residence you can't be sued??? who knows...
we had a case in our area where a burgler tripped and seriously hurt himself in a persons home WHILE robbing the place. He sued the home owners as the stairs were in need of repair and this is why he hurt himself. Makes ya wonder about our justice system. :-?

Guest Anonymous

There was also a case of a guy who fell through a skylight and injured himself - he sued the owners for damages. We have to be very careful with out dogs as we own a number of large working "Personal Protection Dogs". We usually have at least one dog on the premises as all times (because female home alone at night).

I was woken one night by our dog going nuts close to my bedroom window (back half of the yard fenced but my bedroom windows in front half of yard) - I jumped up on the bed to tell the dog off only to see a man standing not far from my window. I quickly ducked down and let dog go off at the man.

A few months ago .... also late on night I was hanging out the washing on the clothes line, one of the dogs was sitting at my feet watching everything around me when I heard a noise like something falling over in the garage (down the other side of house) - just me and the dog home at the time. I didn't think much of it so went to see what had fallen over. Walking into garage and turned on the light to find a stranger in my garage - naturally I screamed and the dog came to my defence. The guy had a length of steel in his hand at the time and the dog disarmed him and pulled him to the ground. I ended up calling the police and he was arrested but questions where raised about the dog biting the man - police did see sense and wrote it up as self-defence due to the "weapon" in his hand.

"beware of Dog" can and has gotten people sued in the past...why, I dont know. It's just ludicrous, like suing someone for falling through their stairs while ROBBING THEIR HOUSE!!!! gggrrrr.....

Did that suit ever get won> I would hope not. You cant stop someone from filing a lawsuit, but I hope the judge laughed him out of the courtroom....

I have been told by the police here that the best warning sign is one like
"Lab on Premises", or whatever type of dog you have....that alerts people that you have a dog, without giving a connation that the dog is mean.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]like suing someone for falling through their stairs while ROBBING THEIR HOUSE!!!! gggrrrr.....

Did that suit ever get won> I would hope not. You cant stop someone from filing a lawsuit, but I hope the judge laughed him out of the courtroom.... [/quote]
Now, I heard that the robber did win and did sue...I guess on some home owners insurance they have special clauses for this??? I don't know if this person is pulling my leg or not. I did take a law course in high school and we went over case history's where robbers, etc. have sued victoms and have won.
Its a scary world we live in and seems the innocent are the ones who get procecuted and the evil people get away scott free...or get sent to prison only to earn degrees etc. seems sad at times...I actually know one person who will do small time crime and doesnt care if he goes to jail...he finds it a great place to meet new contacts and friends...and he has taken pottery courses, and has gotten a ticket for welding in jail...he has rec'd better education than me and I work my butt off. :evil:

just sucks, doesnt it?

when the innocent become victims, and the criminals have more rights, there is a MAJOR revamping of the justice system needing to be done.
These people were BREAKING THE LAW.....serves you right for falling through the stairs...

I always liked this tune:

"We'll raise up our voice against evil forces, singing 'Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses..."

Willie Nelson and Alan Jackson, after punishing the 'bad guys"...

[quote name='courtnek']"We'll raise up our voice against evil forces, singing 'Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses..."

Willie Nelson and Alan Jackson, after punishing the 'bad guys"...[/quote]

That'd be Willie & Toby Keith :wink: Not AJ, Alan sings with Jimmy Buffet on 5 o'clock somewhere 8)

you'd be surprised at what they'll do...they seem to know the difference between people you want in, and people you dont...of course, I hope you never have to find out. The Chief meant that most burglars (unless you are collecting picasso's, or rembrandts, or exotic jewelry) will pass by a house with a dog, rather than attempt to break in it, because thedog(s) get so noisy it may alert someone to the burglar's presence. Not worht the risk. I dont think he was intending to imply that your dog should attack anyone, just scare them off....

The guy from ADT who sold me our alarm system told me a similar thing; you're 70 or 80% less likely to get broken in if you own a "large" dog (presumably 80lbs +).

As mentioned, its basic phsychology. Why would a burglar take a bunch of unknown risks (will the dog attack, will it make a bunch of noise?) when he can rob the house down the street.

My dogs are cowards, but they put on a good show while the person is still on the other side of the door. My GSD goes bonkers when strangers come up to our house (doesn't happen very often as we live in the country).

One night, after we let them out back for last call, I snuck out the front door and quietly made my way around the side of the house. I crept to within 30 feet or so of my GSD, Travis, then started running full blast towards.

He basically took off like a scared rabbit towards my wife, barking the whole way, to go hide behind her.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's too funny....

but making a big fuss from the other side of the door is exactly what you want them to do. Like you said, the burglar will have second thoughts of "Is this worth it?" - and will probably decide it isnt. Now I'm talking a common burglar. If there is something in your house he REALLY wants, no dog will stop him. He'll just take the dog out. But for the average break in, yes, a noisy barking dog is good protection

When my insurance company asked me if I have an alarm system I said yes - my dogs. I think we should get a discount for having dogs? A lot less break ins. What more could you ask for? But we have to pay more for having dogs or don't get insurance at all.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]Lol its times like these I'm glad I live in Canada... These cases would never even make it to court.[/quote]

actually the case where the burgler sued the home owner happened in Canada. I live in Canada as well.

Guest Anonymous

One more thing I meant to share with every one. In New Brunswick Canada a burgler actually broke into a car dealership where they had 2 GSD's roaming the premises-these were trained guard dogs. The burglers intent was not to steal a car or tires etc. he stole the 2 GSD's...so perhaps our dogs arent always the best protection...they may be the object of the robbery :lol: :wink:

One of my customers owns a GSD. Everytime I go to the door it goes berserk barking. Yet - they got burgled and it never made a sound. :o They all slept soundly in bed and never heard a thing.

I said I do not know how they managed to do that, it hears me coming up the drive.

at a guess, I would say the guard dogs were darted, or drugged, before they were stolen. Like I said, if the burglar REALLY wants what you have, they will find away around the dogs.

Marion, did they ever catch the burglar? In that case I would almost suspect someone the dog knew well enough not to sound the alarm.
or maybe they just sleep heavy. I have a friedn who was robbed because the guy that robbed him lived across the street and knew his dogs by name. played with them all the time. They did not consider him an intruder.

Over a number of years we got robbed a couple of times...... :evil:
After we got Nakita (Akita/Rott) we were never robbed again. :wink:
Nakita is gone now to Rainbow Bridge, but she had a wonderful life of 15yr. :angel:

This is the sign on our back porch window, it's more comical than anything...... :lol:
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da34b3127ccebc826e5776ba0000001610[/img]

Of course that's quite deceiving....because we also have a 95lb. Lab/Rott in the house as well !! So come on in boys !! :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TOO CUTE! especially with the cat sitting there...

People tend to avoid my house even MORE since the Foxhound joined the fray...you want a dog that makes NOISE????? she barks/bays when the windows rattle....that bay is enough to make you crazy. It's very loud, drawn out, and somehow threatening sounding. It reminds people (well, me at least, and my kid and his friends) of movies where the bloodhounds are hot on the trail, baying up a storm. The mailman asked if she was gonna hurt him...she's scared of her own shadow...but noisy as hell.

:lol: :lol: :lol: