Dogomania

Doggie Smell

As the weather gets warmer here in Massachusetts the humidity also increases. We all know what this means the wonderfull doggie smell in carpets and furniture. The house never smells in the winter only when the weather is humid. The furniture and the rugs smell. I tried the water and vineger, simple solution, and the stuff from the pet store made for just doggie smell but all this just work for an hour or so and then the smell is back. I thinking of washing the carpets and furniture every week for the entire Summer but, that can be exhausting since I am 5 months pregnant now. Does anyone have suggestions.?
( Oh we bath the dogs every 2 to 3 weeks and on very hot days I hose them down when I am watering my flowers and lawn.)

This is what I've used for awhile... these things are amazing - We also use them in our grooming salon, and there is no hnt of dog odor left! They're expensive, but they actually work.

[url]http://www.nilodor.com/pdet.php?cat=1&dept=33&prodid=33&srch=&pbid=[/url]

[img]http://www.nilodor.com/product_images/828_lg.jpg[/img]

You can also get de-humidifiers for the room. Some are expensive, some arent...I have window air conditioners upstairs with de-hunids built in, but I have a stand alone unit as well for the basement in the summer. If you want to sleep down there, it's always cool, without air conditioners, with the de-humids going....

Thanks everyone. I also use the carpet fresh from Arm and Hammer but with 3 big dogs it only last a couple of days. I think I am going to invest in the dehimidifier and also an air purifier. I heard the air purifier works wonders on the dander also that I see all over the TV and tables.
OR,,,, I just might do what Marion said get a peg for my nose :lol: :lol:

I have used Freedom Environmental Multi-Purpose Powder its not a masking agent or perfume coverup, this product actually filters out foul odours and allows pleasant scents through. Ideal for use on carpets or most other surfaces that would be impractical for a liquid. Simply shake on and vacuum off. Kills pet odours and leaves a pleasant scent. Non-Caking. I have ordered this from pet supply house (through the grooming business)...you could always ask you vet clinic or local groomer if they could look through one of their order magazines for a powder such as the one I use and have them order it in for you. We have done this for our clients. I got rid of my carpets in my home (had to after I picked up a box of home made red wine and tripped with the whole box full of 12 bottles on my light grey carpet...red wine is a bugger to get out :lol:
I put down hard wood floors and find the hard wood and ceramic tile does not hold doggy odors like carpet does.
For my 6 dogs...I own 4 Newfoundland dogs which if not well groomed can be the worst smelling dog you could ever encounter :lol: I bathe them in my home made shampoo which is a wonderful disinfectant for the doggy odors...and leaves their coats shiny and clean.
1/3 cup glycerin
1 cup palmolive dish soap
1 cup white vinegar
1 quart of water.
I use an old gallon jug shampoo bottle to mix in....if you mix up a batch be sure to shake it before use each time you use it. I love this shampoo...its cheap and works great...and belive me, owning 4 show dogs I have used the so called "best" and most expensive dog shampoo's out there...and by far this is the best I have ever used...I have even used it on customers dogs which have been sprayed by a skunk, I just add baking powder.

Good luck.

One more thing I meant to mention...especially when I am dealing with not only moisture in the air in the summer (I live on the ocean) but also wet dogs on rainly humid days...not only do I put on my dehumidifier, but, I also put a few fans on full blast throughout my home...this helps a great deal.

I bought this dry shampoo spray stuff from petcetera. Spray a bit on brush it out and it leaves the doggie smelling a lot better and has non of the dry skin effects of frequent bathing.

Also dousing the carpets with baking soda / vacuuming works too!!

I like the arm and hammer stuff too. There are thousands of good uses for baking soda....even pouring an old box down the drain makes the kitchen smell good. especially if you have a garbage disposal.

I find dehumids work the best. Here in Chicago, summers are brutally humid. (and winters brutally dry, you cant win. I alternate between humdifiers and dehumidifiers...lol)

I am going to also try the home made shampoo that Cassie spoke off.
( I do have wall to wall 100 year old original hardwood floors, but where the dogs play alot I threw some area rugs down because they were ruining the floors since the wood is very soft, it is those area rugs that cost me alot of $$ that smells. Kat > I also have 2 plug in things for every room. I also tried the dry shampoo and the doggie perfume stuff. )
Everyone has been so helpfull. You guys are the greatest!!