Dogomania

EEeeewww!

gooeydog

Found out today that the field I take the dogs to has been sold (though I still don't now if it's the whole field, or part, or what), so I took Goo over for a little nighttime stroll before it's off-limits. We went down onto the beach and I let her sniff all around, then on the way back out, she slammed on the brakes to roll in something. I figured she probably wouldn't have any/many more chances at it, so let her roll around, made a couple half hearted attempts at getting her moving again, but she was SO into this stuff that she was standing up, and immediately dropping again before I could get her going, so it too a few minutes before we could get going. When we got home, I went and sat at the computer to mess around, and called her up, as is our custom in the evenings. She jumped up into the chair and I was OVERWHELMED by a HORRIBLE odor! It too me a minute to realize what exactly I was smelling.... DEAD FISH.... Ewwwwww! All over her body, her head, her back, her belly, all stunk. I had to take her downstairs and bath her in the utility sink (we just got a new tub in the upstairs that the dogs cant be washed in, and my dad was asleep in the downstairs apt., so couldn't use the tub in there), imagine bathing a 55 lb dog in a utility sink :lol: Her head was hanging out, her butt was scrunched up against the side... I think 1/2 the water ended up on the floor :roll: It took 2 different kinds of shampoo and rinsing her off with a vinegar/water mix to get her smelling normal again, now she smells like a fruit basket :lol: Oh well, at least she's clean now... she sure wasn't sleeping in my bed smelling like that!

Guest Anonymous

I don't know why they love to roll in dead fish. A few years ago, I would take my Boo everyday to the beach and he loved the dead fish. I did try to discourage the rolling. Summer came to an end and I got a job in a fish market!! Poor Boo. I would go to work and come home smelling like fish. I felt so guilty everyday. The look he would give me as I left for work. I knew he thought I was going and having fun rolling around the dead fish without him.

Well, sick as this will sound, I thought it was just duck/goose poo, which is a pretty normal thing for her to roll in... a bit smelly at first, but it doesn't last too long, so I just let her go with that. I should've known when she didn't want to leave it that it was something [i]really[/i] spectacular :lol: . It didn't help my mood either that I stepped in an ankle-deep puddle walking out of the field, so the whole trip home (and it's a cold 40ish degrees tonight) I was squishing around in my sopping wet shoe :roll: . Then to get home and have Goo smelling like [i]that[/i] at 11:00 at night... what a dog. Of course, I had to lift her up into the sink too, then back out when she was done (getting myself soaked in the process and about ending up with a hernia :lol: ). Then afterwards, she decided she was cold, so I had to find a blanket that I wouldn't mind smelling like wet dog... sigh... she's currently bundled up snoring in the seat of my chair, while I perch on one arm of it :roll: . I also had a brief feeling of guilt a bit ago about washing away her "masterpiece".... maybe I'm the one with the issues here, not her :drinking:

Guest Anonymous

:lol: I'm just cracking up with these stories!

I am sooo very lucky that (knock on wood) the worst thing mine's rolled in so far are dead voles/mice....and that is bad enough. I can't even imagine the fish! :o

yeah, I don't know what it is about dogs rolling in dead animals. One day dante was rolling around ni the back yard and I was watching him and he kept rolling in the same place, I thought it was odd and went to check it out and it was a dead decaying bird and for some ungodly reason he insisted on rolling on it ....very nasty! :niewiem:

[quote]We took the girls to the beach on Monday and Ruby was rolling round in a dead sheep.[/quote]
:o None of those around here, but people do occasionally dump off deer remanants(sp?) on the beach after they're done taking the met and antlers... imagine stumbling down onto the beach at 2am to come face to face with 1/2 (more or less, yuck) a deer peering at you.... talk about traumatized :o :lol: . The most used command for a while after one's dumped off there is "no dead animals!" :roll:

The lab I used to walk liked to scrape roadkill up off the road and carry it with her down the street.... ewwww. She was quick too, I'd have her walking by it, and she'd dive for it, usually getting it in one swoop. Then I'd spend the next 15 mins or so trying to wrestle dead whatever it happened to be out of her mouth- sick :roll: