Dogomania

dog walking banned in downtown Garret,IN

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

(copied from [url]www.wane.com[/url])(Garrett-WANE, April 15, 2004) - The phrase take the dog out for a walk has a new meaning in the city of Garrett. An ordinance just passed made parts of the town mutt free. It's now illegal to walk your dog in the immediate downtown and in all but one park. Ocker Park on the north end is the only place to welcome 4-legged friends. Councilwoman Tonya Hoeffel voted for the ordiance, she says it's a matter of cleanliness, they don't want poop on the sidewalk. Chief Rex Harpel adds that it's also about safety, some kids would try to cause fights between bigger dogs. Still dog owners feel they shouldn't be restricted. If your caught walking the dog in a no zone it's a 50 dollar fine.

Isn't that the dumbest thing you've ever heard. I'm glad i don't live there. I hope this stupid and senseless ban won't spread anywhere else in the US.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Thats the case in several areas. Ithaca, NY, Boulder, CO, and Santa Cruz, CA all have banned dog walking in certain areas of the cities.

Guest Anonymous

Wouldn't it make more sense - and be more profitable for the city, to simply enforce the pooper scooper laws? Seems like a really dodgy reason, also gotta wonder about the behavior of the dog owners . . . . .