Dogomania

what looks like a Dingo?

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

I'll get pictures when possible, but it's not possible yet. I'd love to introduce you guys to "my" new dogs, the various dogs on the refuge. There's Annie the ACD, Jack the beagle mix, Sargeant the shepherd mix, Eddie the retriever mix, Dax the mutt, Canada the collie mix, Blue the pointer mix, two dogs who I've seen but haven't really met yet, and Peace, who I'm writing about. Most of the mixes are guesses.

Tonight I'm watching Peace, a very dingo-looking dog. She's scared of thunderstorms, and though the dogs aren't usually allowed in our cottages, they said we could take her in tonight because her owners are jerks and left her out last night. So I feel like I'm at home, with Sasha shivering and whimpering by my side, pacing to one person then the next, never getting the right comfort.

I'm really curious about Peace. She looks very much like the Dingos I've seen on TV, but I doubt that she is a Dingo. Well, I also read that Dingos don't have dew claws, which she does. She's maybe a bit shorter than a Dingo, too. I want to get a picture of her and ask you guys for ideas, but at this point, what kinds of dogs resemble Dingos?

Guest Anonymous

It.could.be.a.Carolina.Dog....here.are.some.links.that.also.have.pictures
[url]www.carolinadogs.com[/url]
[url]www.carolinadogs.org[/url]
(My.spacebar.is.screwed.up.so.thats.why.there.are.periods.between.everything)

Guest Mutts4Me

Thank you, I had considered that, but Peace is a bit shorter and stockier than those dogs. She's about the size of an ACD, maybe a bit bigger. She's similar in many ways to an ACD, but she's solid tan, and maybe a little bit bigger than other ACDs I've seen.

there is debate over whether "dixie dingos" are actually a breed. however...if the dog was found (bred, born, raised) in the city, consider it a mix breed and not a dixie dingo or any kind of dingo, for that matter. the basic description of the mixed breed could also apply to dingos (and, ahem, pitbulls) short haired, medium size, brownish color...you get the idea.

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm sure Peace is a mix - I'm not trying to figure out what breed she is, but just trying to get ideas about what breeds she might be made up of. She's not a pit bull though ;)

Hi there,
I haven't visited in months and thought I would drop by. I have always thought that finnish spitz look like dingos but they are not a common breed so a cross withthem is unlikely. The red coat color is similar. too, but the spitz has a shorter denser coat. She is probably a cross between a few common breeds that just combined to look like she does. Likely is some spitz (not Finnish but I mean husky, keeshond, etc.) given her up ears and curled tail. Perhaps with a sheltie given the texture of the coat. You're right it's always a guess with the crosses but she is a beautiful dog and I hope her owners learn to appreciate her.

Guest Anonymous

I don't know for sure but our vet at the time told us we had a dingo mix.
This dog looked a lot like a border collie but longer legs. The vet said that he could tell because of the dogs teeth that he wasn't just dog but a dingo mix. We loved him for 14 years but could never allow him around people. Bongo never acted just like a dog. He would pace around the yard and never stop. He never wanted to be inside even in the worst weather. When he would see someone or something that he didn't like his eyes would seem to cross and he would be ready to attack. Bongo was only about 40 lbs but I was afraid of him. And this was my dog. One night while my husband was at work, Bongo started to look at me with the crossed eyes. I backed into the bathroom and shut the door. I was afraid to come out! of course he did let me out again. I am fairly certain that we had a dingo mix. I wouldn't advise anyone to get a dog like this.

Guest Anonymous

Yep, I think mixes can look like Dixie or reg. Dingos. Appx. 50 lbs., tannish color, pricked ears.......

Many have asked if my dog was a Dingo or Carolina. I'd never even heard of Carolina dogs & when I looked 'em up I was surprised they did look like my dog in many of the pics I saw. But, I'm quite sure that he's not.

I had side by side comparisons of my dog & a Carolina in the same poses and they do look remarkably alike. I can't figure out how to post the pics from the website but I did manage to find some way to post pics of my dog. If you click the pic will come up:

[url]http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A62%3B3923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2323%3D54%3A%3D8%3B5%3D323254%3A7%3C4958nua593fj0mrj[/url]

When he was a pup w/ one floppy ear.
[url]http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A62%3B3923232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2327%3D986%3D%3A23%3Dxroqdf%3E23233454738%3A%3Aot1lsi[/url]

OMG!!! In that second picture - he looks like he's crossed with a FOX!!

Fox have just recently returned to the area, and they look ALOT like that
(red fox, at least) I see them near the river all the time...I cant take Laurel down there because of that (She's a Foxhound...trained to hunt fox scent).

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='sushiwelldone']Likely is some spitz (not Finnish but I mean husky, keeshond, etc.) given her up ears and curled tail. Perhaps with a sheltie given the texture of the coat. You're right it's always a guess with the crosses but she is a beautiful dog and I hope her owners learn to appreciate her.[/quote]

I think you're looking at the picture of my dog, Sasha, in my sig, and yes she is a beautiful dog, thank you :)

I will post pictures of Peace and the rest of the Turpentine Creek doggie entourage as soon as I can :)