Dogomania

BSL

Peng1zrule

I am doing a persuasive speech on tuesday and I need some ideas. basicly, if i could just get something to get me started...

does BSL include insurance companies that require you to overinsure your breed? or areas that require you to carry huge amounts of insurance on your breed? or is it straight law making and statute passing?

what are the best ways to combat bsl? is simple letter writing enough? I plan to point out (in a creative way, i could use some more ideas) that most of the people targeting pitbulls are not trained to identify them and that the identifying is subjective. I also plan to include (from Bandit by VH) the story of the new york lawmaker who planned to ban apbts until she met them as the owners brought them to her office.

I know the best ways to write letters--but what about protests? How can I conclude? where can I find some actual facts and statistics to back up what i'm saying? i went on the cdc site and found a bunch of sociological reports saying that pitbulls are the most common biters, but it is likely that the dogs are not largely pitbulls as most of the people who had seen the bites or attacks were not very well-learned in the canine area, had only a glimpse of the dog, or were anti-apbt to begin with.

in short--ANY ideas AT ALL, i'm open to them! please help me make this a dynamic speech!

BSL can be insurance company driven - some insurers do not require extra insurance, some do, and also, it depends on area of the country.
My insurer has no laws regarding this, because BSL has been shot down here, by the city council. In area's where the laws have adopted BSL, the insurers can then require extra insurance for those types of dogs. Remember the bottom line here - insurance companies are a BUSINESS. They are out to make money.

How to combat it? Letters are good, but you have to send them to the right people. Firing off a squall to "Letters to the Editor" may get you nowhere..he could easily just ignore it. But things like "Ann Landers",
"Seven On Your Side", and particular journalists themselves, can sometimes bring results. Flyers in front of Petco, taking your APBT's to meet people, interaction with the "little people" (that's us) can often turn the tables on things like BSL..Most people accept what the government does because they dont know any better, or because the media has taught them what to believe....dont think for a minute the media doesnt get hand outs from the politicians... You show them the law is wrong, gather up the numbers necessary to affect the next vote, and your chances of success improve remarkably. Especially in an election year....