Dogomania

So embarassing...marking on people

sheesh

Oh brother! My St. Bernard/Great Dane mix who is about 2 1/2 years old has now done this 3 times. We've been at dog parks and he'll go up to someone who is peacefully sitting in a chair or just standing there - and he'll pee on them :oops: . A trickle marking - but nonetheless - absolutely embarassing. The person looks shocked, as do I! What is going on? Why has he recently began doing this? NOthing has changed otherwise. And it's usually at off leash dog parks so that I am not "right there" to reprimand him. I must stop this godawful behavior - I can't imagine being peed on by a dog who isn't even mine! He is neutered.
Any suggestions of how to stop this grossness?
Thanks!

"Marking" like that is dominance behavior....He is telling people, basically, that he is "better" than them. He is more dominant.

You need some demotion done here...

Dogs mark to leave their scent, for other dogs to smell...he is leaving his scent on humans, which is saying "I am KING dog here..."

You should probably see a behaviorist, in this case, but I'll give you some basic pointers.

DO NOT let him eat before you...even if that means you sit and eat crackers in front of him.

DO NOT let him enter doorways before you. Make him sit, you go through first, he follows on your command.

DO NOT let him sleep on beds, couches, furniture, until he has accepted you as ALPHA...

When you take him out, give him a "pee" command...say it before he goes (just watch, you'll know when he's about to go..) and then reward him. This tells him that peeing is under YOUR control. He cant mark until you say its ok. If he pees out of sync, he gets no reward.

Once demoted, he wont pee on people anymore....

peeing for dogs is not just relieving themselves, it's marking. Territority, people, situations. Your pup is too full of himself..Demote him.

:D

'Any suggestions of how to stop this grossness?'

Simple. Keep him on leash. Seriously, keep his leash on, set him up so he tries to sidle over and pee on someone. Probably good idea to enlist a very understanding friend for this. Unless of course he does not try this with your friends. Watch him VERY carefully, at the first sign he is about to spritz someone, correct him, take him to a bush or log or whatever. He pees on the log or bush, praise him for being so wonderful.
Courtnek had some great ideas too, perhaps combine this with them.
I have had a dog do this to me, a big ole happy go lucky yellow lab. His method was to sneak up behind people and hike his leg. The first time it happened, he caught me. The second time he tried, he got a mighty shove from my foot in his ribs. I also threatened (why jokingly of course!) to knock his block off if he tried it again. He left me alone after that but still tried to get others.