Dogomania

Mix

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I noticed that it seems, the people here are very against mix dogs, It also seems that the people here think that if you breed mix dogs your A. back yoard breeder B. a puppy mill or C. only in it for the money, and I am sorry but I cant agree with that, can you please enlighten me on why your so against it? I dont want to start a fight, I am just wondering.

This seems to be a common misconception of some people who come here. It's not the dog itself that people here object to, it is the way the dog was brought into this world.

The VAST majority of mutts are a result of people not "fixing" their animals and then either letting them become pregnant on purpose so they can have a litter of puppies, or letting them run amok to procreate unchecked. This is completely irresponsible on the part of the owners and should not happen.

While the puppies that result from this irresponsiblity may be awesome animals that make great pets, the fact remains that currently there are WAY too many dogs out there. For someone to be contributing to the population for no good reason is ludicrous.

And yes, the fad mixed breeds are created almost completely by backyard breeders and puppy mills. I think the impetus behind backyard breeders is not always money, but it can be. IMO most BYBs are people who think puppies are cute, love their dog and want it to have puppies. Some of them are money hungry and sell puppies at ridiculous prices from dogs who probably should not even be breeding.

Puppy mills care about money only. There is no other reason they exist. If you believe this to be otherwise, I'll need proof.

Let me say again that probably NO ONE here objects to a mutt. We are dog lovers. How could we call ourselves that if we didn't like mutts? It is the people who allow dogs to breed uncontrollably and irresponsibily that we are against.

Under what circumstances do you think breeding a dog or allowing a dog to remain intact is OK?

[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=12514[/url]

hopefully that worked, that is under the main topic heading. But I do feel that in general this forum is much more open than most. Their is a site called i-dog and they have a section dedicated to mixed breeds and anytime someone talks about a cross-breed they are attacked for thinking anything great about the idea

No one here is against mixes! There is no reason to be. My dog, Amaya, is pure-bred, but I don't think I'll be going to a breeder next time! My next dog will probably have no papers and possibly be a mix.

There is PLENTY of mixes here. Mutts4me is one with a beautiful dog named Sasha. Such a sweetie.

Nobody here is against mixed breed dogs- in fact there are several people including myself who have a mutt.
It is reasonable to assume that the majority of mixed breed dogs brought into the world are the product of a) accidents (whereby people who don't/won't desex their dogs allow them to roam and be impregnated or impregnate another dog), and b) deliberate crossbreeding to capitalise on a trend and make money (however this happens with purebreds too- 101 Dalmatians is a good eg). I honestly can't see any other reason to produce crossbred dogs unless it's for money.
If you want the kids to experience the joy of birth let them watch a video of a live human birth- that will scare them off babies for life. :lol:

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said - I am not against cross breeds themselves but I don't agree with people who intentionally breed cross breeds.

[quote]It also seems that the people here think that if you breed mix dogs your A. back yoard breeder B. a puppy mill or C. only in it for the money, and I am sorry but I cant agree with that,[/quote]

Ok then, can you give me an example of a person and their situation who breeds cross breeds that doesn't fall into one of the three categories you mentioned above?

[quote]Ok, I noticed that it seems, the people here are very against mix dogs, It also seems that the people here think that if you breed mix dogs your A. back yoard breeder B. a puppy mill or C. only in it for the money, and I am sorry but I cant agree with that, can you please enlighten me on why your so against it? I dont want to start a fight, I am just wondering.[/quote]

No I don't agree either that people who breed mixed or crossbreeds are bad breeders. Actually people who breed true working dogs will crossbreed often to keep the dogs healthy. If you attended a professional dog sled race with a siberian husky team or a team of alaskan malamutes you wouldn't stand a chance. There are alot of dog sledders who crossbreed with border collies etc. to create better and faster dogs. They crossbreed often...alot of true working dogs are crossbreeds...they are referred to as Alaskan Husky's. Here is a little write up on the Alaskan Husky.

[quote]The dog most often used for dog sled racing is called an Alaskan Husky. This is not not a registered breed or a show dog, and it is not a dog regularely seen as a pet. It is a working and racing dog, and the dog most commonly seen at sled dog races. It is impossible to write a breed standard for the Alaskan Husky, because there is huge variety from kennel to kennel, and even within one kennel. Every musher has his or her own preferences. The Alaskan Husky is the best racing sled dog in the world today.

Characteristics The Alaskan Husky is essentially a cross between northern village huskies, Siberian Huskies, a dash of Border Collie or German Shepherd, maybe a bit of Inuit sled dog, or bit of hound (German Shorthaired Pointers, for example) for speed. They usually have prick ears, although their ears can droop at the tips, or even not stand up at all. Their eyes can be blue, brown, one of each, or even both colours in one eye. Their coats tend to be dense, but not long, although some sprint dogs have very short and slick coats. Coat colours rage from pure black to pure white, and everything in between, even the unusual brindle and pinto. Some have curly tails, while others have tails that aren't even bushy. Some look almost exactly like purebred Siberians, while others barely look like huskies at all. Appearance is unimportant--they are bred to be working dogs, not show dogs. [/quote]

This is just a little write up on the alaskan husky...now, this dog is a true working dog...it is still crossbred even today...some people will breed them with border collies still etc. to keep the genes in good health...Now if this dog was chosen by a kennel club and represented in dog shows as a purebreed...it would be ruined due to the kennel club needing to have a standard conformation for the breed...these dogs vary in their looks and that would be frowned apon by a kennel club

I think alot of people are brain washed into thinking purebreed dogs are better due to breeders doing extensive genetic testing and competeing in dog shows...this is not true. Dog shows are not a good way to judge which dog represents its breed best...having a judge look at your dog and your running around the ring a few times does not tell me that this particular dog is the "best" I have seen people hiding flaws in purebreed dogs before shows etc. the only way to test a dog for conformation is by testing its behavior conformation which means the dog has the proper behavior to suit its physical conformation. Genetic testing is a hoax as well...the genetic diseases in purebreed dogs are man made due to small gene pools of the purebreed dogs...this is why sled dogs (alaskan huskys) are crossbreed still to keep genetic diseases out of their dogs...can you imagine having sled dogs with hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia or patella problems?? this is now common with breeds such as siberian huskys and alaskan malamutes due to being in a purebreed for too long and having the stud books closed on a small population...you may think there are millions of these Siberian huskys and malamutes out there...but, how many of these dogs did the breed start out with is the question....and how many of our current purebreeds are inbreed or have really close lines. :-?

four mutts...and here's why I'm against purposely breeding them. one of mine got missing two months ago. i've been going to the pound twice a week, every week...the amount of mixed breed puppies is heart breaking. there's always a dozen there--and i've been going TWICE A WEEK--and every time, it's a different dozen.

Guest Anonymous

I own and am breeding my girl Aussie Bulldog and she is a cross bred. I am not in for the $$$$ only to better the breed and one day become an registered breed. I am expecting my first litter in the next few weeks. Expecting huge vet bills as the aussie is very closely related to the British. I am apart of an association. And I am only breeding Aussie to Aussie. My girls pups will go back 9 generations to the foundation dogs.

I have found it very hard to comment on these forums without being critisied about breeding a cross bred, especially when this is my first. But I love my aussie, and I love this breed. And I plan on working hard on helping them to become registered.

I am proud to be one of the few breeders who breed for their love of their breed and not the cash.

[quote name='aussiebulldoglova']
I have found it very hard to comment on these forums without being critisied about breeding a cross bred, especially when this is my first. But I love my aussie, and I love this breed. And I plan on working hard on helping them to become registered.
.[/quote]
Ok, I dont want to start in with the criticism, we have been down this road a million times. I do have one question though. When you speak of getting your bitch and puppies registered, which club are you speaking of?

Guest Anonymous

We have our own association. United Aussie Bulldog Association. Have a look, all the info is there.

[url]http://aussiebulldogsunited.com[/url]

That is where my girl is registered and so is the stud. And all my pups will be sold with papers. Also told that they are not a registered breed.

I am not against breeding mixes... That is, as long as the breeder is RESPOSIBLE, and doesn't breed in excess, plus has PREaproved homes selected before breeding. Unfortunately, after seeing the sheer amount of dogs placed in shelters every week, it would be nice if all dog breeding could be halted or at least reduced considerably for a while, both of pures and mixes. This, however, will probably never happen.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I don't like it when people use the excuse "I love my breed" or "I love my dog"..when asked why they breed them. Just because you create more puppies using your dog, it doesn't mean the little ones are going to be just like it...or have the same characteristics and attitude..all dogs are different just like people...

If you want to stick to the same breed for the rest of your life that's understandable I guess..I love Pit Bull Terriers...but there are alot of dogs that need good homes at the shelter...making more of yours because you "love your dog" doesn't make any sense...

You'll probably find your breed somewhere in a shelter or specific group rescues...

Greyhounds, bulldogs, chihuahuas, pitties, etc...there are tons of breed rescue groups that need good homes for these pure bred and mixed dogs...

The world would be perfect if there were just enough dogs for people who wanted them..and breeding would stop until we started running out..lol now that would solve the issue of unwanted dogs :D

There is also a thing out there in all countries called
[size=6][b]BREED RESCUE....................................................[/b][/size]

I urge anyone getting a rescue, if you want a certain breed, please go via breed rescue. :o

It would be nice if someday rescue groups ran out of rescue dogs. The sad thing is that'll never happen :cry: .

Everyone should get their dogs from rescue but some people insist on puppies thinking they're so cute, but 6 month later it's another story, especially if they don't exercise them. I hate how the world works today with people being so cruel & irresponsible. I'm get so mad & sad everyone I think about it.

Guest Anonymous

katesai...I agree..

I am guilty of buying 2 dogs from a pet shop...when I was 8 my parents bought me a dog from the petshop..we come from Poland where dogs there usually live on farms and are free to run around and just come back home later on...nobody cares about puppy mills because nobody really buys from petshops anyways...at least as far as I know...so we had no clue what a puppy mill is... we bought our first dog there.. a Mini Pinscher...he died at age 8 (we put him to sleep) because he had so many health problems and started to grow a huge bump on his neck..wouldn't eat, drink, walk...couldn't see or hear..it was terrible...R.I.P Pimpek :cry:

Our other dog which we still have (the Chihuahua, Dudek, who is now 7) we got him in a petshop as well..once again, I wasn't old enough to have known about pet mills and my parents didn't have a clue until I actually found out about it and told them...he's still with us..actually (knock on wood and thank God)..he's quite a healthy little guy...a bit on the chubby side but he's a good man :)...

Now i know never ever to buy from a pet shop..I worked at an animal shelter for a year and helped out as much as I could..I guess it was also a way for me to try and make up for the stupid mistakes our family had made..however I love my dogs..no matter where they come from...

My Pit Bull..well she's a rescue...some hitchikers couldn't take care of her anymore because they're always on the move so they were just asking people at a truck stop if they want the dog...well of course we took her in and I love her so much its not even funny...:) and yes I am Canadian..but we got her from the U.S. She's an American hehehe.

Anywho, I will never ever buy from a pet shop again and I encourage people NOT to make the double mistake that I had...so in other words, I think the most important thing is EDUCATION..people NEED to know about these things..if I knew about puppy mills do you think I would have purchased my dogs from there? HELL NO...these things should be taught in school in my opinion...considering its children that always beg their parents for pets....

But now I know and I try to spread the word as much as possible.. :) I'm just happy my parents are very kind and loving towards animals and taught me from childhood that I have to respect pets as I would human beings..no pulling, tugging, kicking, screaming, back riding, or poking... that was a NO NO ever since I could crawl...just wish we knew about pet mills too... :-?

Ok ...that's all I had to say about that :o

This remind me of my stupid actions when I was little and don't know any better. When I still little I believe I was 8 year old back in Taiwan, my sister & I wanted puppies so bad that we got got one from a man around the neighbor. Not wanting to get into trouble from my parents, we hide the dog up on the top floor in a crate, and went up to go visit each day for no more than half hour. Eventually (thank god) my dad found out and we got into big trouble. My told us how cruel it were to keep those puppies in such little space for so long, and out in the elements. I have no idea where My dad took the puppies, but I would guess to a pond or friends.

I feel so bad now everytime I thought about that incident, since I would never do such a thing if I have know better. I would never make that mistake again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm personally for responsible breeding. That means, breeding to better a breed and being accountable for all lives you create for as long as they live. So if you're developing a breed, I personally think there is a certain set of standards that people need to follow if they're serious, rather than just going willy nilly, the same standards responsible breeders must face when breeding already established breeds. I have purebreds, both bought from extremely responsible breeders. I have bred litters before, all puppies still accounted for. I'm not going to begin to apologise for them since many of them have been outstanding contributions to their breed.

As for mixed breeds and mutts, I love them, my BIL has this little scruffy guy name Petey, he actually reminds me of a hockey player for the Leafs since he's so scrappy and scruffy. His other dog is a belgian shepherd cross of some sort, and while he is suffering from all sorts of hip dysplasia and spinal degeneration, he's as sweet as sugar.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='AllAmericanPUP']What he** is an Aussie bulldog??????????
Looks exactly like an English bulldog to me.[/quote]

:o :o I was about to ask the same thing... are you breeding Australian Shepherds and Bulldogs or are you just In Austraila and breeding Bulldogs?? i'm confused ?! :-?

[b]What is an Aussie Bulldog[/b]
Deafaussielover wrote:
[quote]I was about to ask the same thing... are you breeding Australian Shepherds and Bulldogs or are you just In Austraila and breeding Bulldogs?? i'm confused ?![/quote]
The Aussie bulldog is a relitivly new breed of dog created in Australia, more suited to the Australian Conditions. In the beginning it was Created by selectivly breeding British bulldogs, Staffortdshire bullterrier and bullmasstiff. Then breeding Aussie to Aussie. Yes a cross breed and this is how all breeds started out, I do agree that why are people breeding more dogs when there are so many in shelters. I also believe there are responseable breeders out there who will do the right thing and only breed healthy stable dogs that will be placed in loving homes. I have always had Purebreed registered dogs untill being interduced to the Aussie Bulldog. They have great Temperments, Health is improved for those after the bulldog look and they make wonderful companions. I have a litter due in two weeks and I have 6 people on my waiting list. Unforunitly there are people out there jumping on the bandwagon thinking of making a quick buck and not breeding for the better of the breed. As with all breeds we can thank these people for the many dogs found in shelters, the Aussie bulldog should come with a certificate of ancestry and all dogs that are a part of the breeding program are registered through the UABA. I hope that this clears up a few of the Questions being asked on this site about Aussie Bulldogs.
Feel free to veiw the United Aussie Bulldog Web Site there you will see what we are all about.[url]www.aussiebulldogsunited.com[/url]
You can also veiw my web page at[url]http://members.dodo.net.au/~greghickey[/url]