Dogomania

Over protective? Or just doing his job?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 14 month old Bullmastiff/Rott has had dominance issues in the past, and I worked on Alpha training with him, did wonders! He seems to think everything in this world is out to "harm" his humans. I understand his protective nature, but he gets out of hand, knocking people over for walking to close to me or the kids, growling at someone hugging me or the kids, etc. I was recently fined for "Attack without provocation" because he jumped on someone and knocked them to the ground. He never bites, growels, nothing when that happened. Just wanted them away from us. Is it possible he is over protective? Is there anything I can do to help this kind of behavior stay in check? One more of thier so called "attacks" and they will destroy him! HELP!!

he is NOT doing his job--in no way is his job to be aggressive to innocent people. now, people who are accosting you, people who have barged into your house, have grabbed you or otherwise behaved threateningly--that's his job. but on walks, when he's snapping the leash out of your hand and knocking people over, that is simply aggression. I would NOT allow my dogs to do this...I would never think they were doing their job. My suggestion is not simple but it is straight forward--arrange to have him NEVER out of your control. If he's in the yard, you're with him. excersize him where he's fenced and secured, and no people are going to interrupt. when you're not home, he's in a secure crate inside the house. this kind of constant supervision is a full time job, but it's what it will take to prevent an "attack." While this is going on, consult with a professional behaviorist, not a vet--a behaviorist or a certified trainer. see what he or she thinks, and follow his or her advice to the letter.

Are you still doing this training? It's not something they learn and do .... the training part is for his lifetime.

Is he neutered? If not, he is entering a very dominant stage for unneutered males that could last up to 2 years from now. Raging hormones etc and it will take a long time to fix it.

His behavior is horrible and no, he is not doing his job. His job is to do what you ask him to do, not to make an independent decision to do something.

He needs to be under your control at all times and if not, you have failed him.

A behaviorist is the way to go with this problem.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

hi everyone i am new to the site an i was reading some of what everyone is writing an i was hoping for some advice or help. to make a long story short i have two dogs j.d., an american pit terrier who is 6 (he's the angel) an isis, a staffordshire bull terrier, who is 2 1/2. isis we adopted from a local shelter she was a cruelty case bred, beat, an left to die for 5 days when animal control found her. she had every type of issue you could imagine (this was 9 months ago) food/toy/jealousy/dominating aggression with j.d. an other dogs an a terratorial aggression. she has come a long way, her an j.d. are best buddies now but she still has a terratoral issue. if you come near our fenced in yard she will attack the fence, bark like a psycho dog ready to get you, an than if j.d. is close will attack him. i have been using a muzzling technic that has been working but about a week ago she bit someone. a friend of ours that was playing basketball with us, the ball went over the fence an he an i went to go get it. i keep reinforing that he was okay an that it was okay, but with no warning she attacked his ankle an drew blood (she's only 28lbs, but 28lbs of pure muscle an power). lucky enough he didn't have to go to the hospital, but it still was bad. i am going to be working with a behavorialist shortly, i'm waiting for him to return my call an set up an appointment, but i wantted to know if anyone has had a terrorial issue/aggression with his/her dog an what they did to slove this problem. with isis its only the back yard, come through the front door invited an your fine, but come through the back gate while she's in the yard an forget it she'll go for you. she is also terrified of basketballs, which we found out after the bite. she is great in every other asspect.

Well I'm no expert with this breed or specific problem, I'm sure someone else might be able to help more, but, her behaviours sound "normal" given her experiences and its good she will recognizes that if you let someone in the front door that that is cool. It sounds like the other issue can be worked out. The behavourist is an excellent choice! Good for you and good luck.