Dogomania

Pet Abortion

Aonir

Abort accidents or not?  

1. 1. Abort accidents or not?

I was reading a post on my Cat Forum.. This person let a intact female outside and now thinks she is pregnant.. All of us (including our personal forum vet) suggested spaying her, aka aborting the kittens. This upset one of our.. younger members. What so you think on this topic? Why and when would you suggest abortion? When would you discourage it? Same with Humans.

[b]Here's my reply to the topic:[/b]
I am completely against abortion myself. BUT, with animals I think differently. You think that the human race is over populated? Look at animals. MILLIONS of pets are put to sleep each year because of 'oops litters'. The pet should have been spayed to begin with instead of the idiot owner letting a unspayed female outside without a care(i think different for 'escapes'). Aborting is cruel, but I do have reasons when I would allow it(humans and animals). Humans should be allowed abortions IF they were raped, or the child had a bad disorder, or it would endanger the mothers life. Cats should be allowed abortions IF the owner doesn't plan the litter, and all of the above. It's the humans choice and decision whether the cat should have been pregnant to begin with.

Now you tell me, is it fair to get a cat(sometimes in their first heat) get pregnant? First heat is like letting our 10 year olds get pregnant. I do not think ANY cat should have a litter unless it is 1. purebred, 2. parents have health checks first, 3. PLANNED. Accidents do happen, but now-a-days they happen to much.

I would say maybe 1 kitten homed would be in it's forever home. And placing kittens isn't as easy as it sounds. I mean, look at MY kittens. Found at 7 weeks of age, still have not been placed! And they are 6+ months now.

Please Neuter your pets...

Guest Anonymous

I have to say I would probably abort the kittens. I personally won't ever face that situation because all of my animals are neutered, except Roxie because she isn't old enough yet. Oh and the turtle but he's not gonna get pregnant! I agree there are already too many puppies and kittens out there now without adding to the problem.

I am pro-abortion for both humans and animals, however I think they are both very different and can't really be compared.

In animals we all know that spaying and neutering is the best option. If this is done when it should be, then the choice of aborting any unwanted pegnancies shouldn't need to occur.

Abortion in humans is a whole different kettle of fish so I wont go there since that isn't what this debate is about.

I must say that when it comes to abortion I'm a little indiffirent with humans. It depends on what kind of life the baby would end up to live in. If the baby would live with parents that are drug addicts, alcoholists etc. or if the parents have little to no money NOW imagine what the financial stuff will be like AFTER the baby... so in those conditions I'm 110% pro-abortion.
But when it's just a misstake and the expected life for the child would be good then I vote NO.

When it comes to dogs... I'm pro aborting! Period. If you haven't planned on a litter CAREFULLY - ABORT! No questions asked. Sure puppies are cuddly, wonderfull and adorable, but they need a lot of love, care and attention and the breeder of the litter needs a LOT of money to care for the feedings, vaccinations, worm medication, health check ups, possible c-section.... the list goes on...
So if you're not 200% sure you have it all coverd from time to money, I say no puppies and if the litter is a mistake then ABORT! No ifs, no buts!

[quote name='Crested']But when it's just a misstake and the expected life for the child would be good then I vote NO. [/quote]
But you're talking of financial things here, Crested. Don't the kids also need love, and time, and caring? Even if the family is well off, but they wouldn't love and care for the child, then I don't think the child would be any better off than in the first situation you described.

Adoption is such a viable option that I think someone being unwilling to dedicate 9 months carrying a child they created is incredibly selfish.

There are a ton of good parents out there that would love to adopt a newborn. If you don't believe it, go check out the adoption pages.

Guest Anonymous

Aborting pups/kittens... I dont find this to be a big deal. Have done it myself.
I am against abortion for myself BUT I do feel like it is the womans body and she should have the right to choose what she wants to do. IMO, its wrong but there are circumstances when it can be more right. I mean, you have a woman who takes birth control, uses condoms every time, etc and she gets pregnant. Should she have to go through 9 months of carrying a child she didnt want? What about a rape victum? Should she have to carry the child of someone who raped her? What about the woman who if she goes through with the pregnancy has a high chance of dying?
One of my best friends gave a baby up when she was 17. She met the family, who already had an adopted son around 2-3 years old. They seemed like wonderful people, and they are, but when you give a baby up for adoption you do it because you want your child to have a better life than what you can provide for them. They got divorced not much more than a year later. The woman kept the children, now 8 and 10 (or 11). She has lived with a man, married another man, got an anulment(sp), and lived with yet another man. The kids dont see the man she was married to when they were adopted.
Now she wonders if she did the right thing. She expected more "stability" for her child. She fights herself over her decision every day. Oh, and by the way, she was on birth control and using a condom.

[quote]Adoption is such a viable option that I think someone being unwilling to dedicate 9 months carrying a child they created is incredibly selfish.
[/quote]

actually adoption is not as viable as most people would like to think. there are TONS of kids who remain wards of the state until they're 18 because not enough families are willing to adopt. horrible things are going in with child welfare services all over the country (new jersey is a hotspot) because unwanted children are in abundance. many times they spend thier lives in group homes, never knowing a real family, while others are fostered and treated in ways you wouldn't believe (hear about the one forced to bring a dead man meals for a number of weeks??)

Although adoption is also a senstive subject, I've met 3 adopted people. All have great families. One's mother died(she was technically her grandmother though), another lives with her Aunt(adopted as Mother), and another I absolutely hate, but has a great life as well. It's rumored that adopted kids grow up much happier, although I'm not sure how true it is. I would love to adopt if I ever am unable to have a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dog Lover']Not to SWITCH over the topic because this IS about pet abortion (and I know the whole topic of abortion is a VERY touchy one), but I know of a girl who's had 6. Yes, SIX abortions so far because I guess she hasn't heard of something called BIRTH CONTROL. :-? Now is that okay? I personally think something is wrong with that picture. It's not a HARD concept to grasp people...I know. I get a shot in the butt once every 3 months. Trust me...it's NOT that bad. :wink:[/quote]

Abortion for birth control should NOT be allowed. One abortion, accidently pregnant, birth control didnt work, rape/incest, chance of injuring the mother - yes. do the abortion. There are places that will GIVE you birth control pills for crying out loud....But using abortin as birth control is not only wrong, it's stupid. Wait until this girl WANTS to have a baby, and finds out she cant.

Abortion for pets....again, depends on the situation. I think if a litter is aborted, the animal should be required to be neutered. And after 6 abortions, I think this girl should, too. The maternal instincts are very obviously missing....

• 1 month later...

I agree that this litter should be aborted and the cat neutered.

It is bloody hard having babies so young,Chris and I had only been together 4 months when I found out I was pregnant, ( I was on the pill) I was only 19,I chose not to abort and we got married,a couple of weeks later I found out it was twins,you lose a lot of your freedom having kids so young and there are so many things that I would have loved to have done and couldn't,we were living in a shared house when the babies were born and it was very difficult but we got through it and 12 years on we are still together not everyone is that lucky though and the first few years were so tough because we were still getting to know each other as well as trying to be good parents.

Abortion is personal choice and is a right that every woman should have,I would hate to think of my sister (who is 18) having to put her life on hold to have a baby.

[quote name='Dog Lover']I have a friend who was adopted and thinks adoption is a HORRIBLE idea because of her adoptive parents. Now she is trying to find her REAL parents thinking it will satisfy her...

I'm with you Aonir. I will DEFINATELY adopt if I cannot have children of my own (crossing my fingersr that I will be able to). My aunt is trying to adopt because she cannot have children of her own. It's a LONG process and I hope that she gets a child soon because she will be a wonderful mother. :D

Maybe we should start a NEW thread about this caz we are getting a LITTLE off topic eh? :wink: :lol:[/quote]

you now have another one. I was adopted, and my father was abusive, both physically amd emotionally. Most adopted people I know are happy about it, after all, the parents have to jump thru hoops to get the kids,
so you have to think they really want to have kids. the "hoops" werent there when I was adopted. If the parents had money, they could adopt.

off topic, sorry. I personally would not have an abortion, but I have no problem with it for other people, or pets. Pets dont have long lasting emotional scars (that we know of) from losing a litter.

[quote name='courtnek'] I was adopted, and my father was abusive, both physically amd emotionally. Most adopted people I know are happy about it, after all, the parents have to jump thru hoops to get the kids,
so you have to think they really want to have kids. the "hoops" werent there when I was adopted. If the parents had money, they could adopt.

[/quote]

That's downright spooky. I can almost just say ditto ditto to that story, Court! I prefer to think of my adoption as more of a "purchase" (seriously... my birth father sold my sisters and me to 3 different families willing to pay), but still... wow, we have so much in common, it's scary.

No one EVER believes me when I say this, but I think that adopted people looking up biological relatives is a horrible idea. I can relate and empathize with the curiosity of people who are adoptd, the who do I look like, whose talents did I inherit stuff, but I've known WAAAAAAY more people who ended up heartbroken and bitter upon finding their biological parents than those who had a happy reunion. The happy reunions are not as common as people want to imagine. Once you get through the initial "joy" of finding (or being found by) a long lost biological parent, the reality sets in... why did you get rid of me, why did you not want me, why did you allow me to be put into such predicaments, what did I do wrong, how could you, insert scenario here. That's not even to mention the adoptive parents who, when p*ssed off always refer to your biological parents and tell you that you're just like them, or will never amount to much, or can't understand why you aren't just like the biological children they had and raised. Oh, and don't forget the aunts, uncles and cousins who never miss a chance to tell you how thankful you should be that these godsent people came along and "rescued" you, you little throwaway that nobody else wanted, and what a worthless piece of sh*t you are if you don't spend your days and nights expressing your gratitude for being "rescued" and why can't you be more like your (adopted) siblings and then there is always the perverted uncle who wants to engage in funny business because you're not REALLY related, so that makes it ok and... Oh, and I always enjoyed being introduced as basically an outcast. My (adoptive) parents always introduced all their kids like this, "This is Kevin, that's Joyce, that's Janet, and that'sthekidweadopted" (me)... geez, I could REALLY get on a rant here (you ain't seen nothin' yet). :x

It just really breaks my heart when I see adopted people who get their hopes set so high for meeting their biological families. It's very seldom a happy thing longterm. It can open so many wounds that you didn't even realize were there and can be very difficult to get through.

Sorry to go so far off topic. Blame it on Courtnek. *snicker*

Guest Mutts4Me

When we took Sophie in from outside, we thought she might be pregnant, and we were debating on whether we'd have her spayed (including the abortion) right away or let her have them and try to find homes. We had pretty much deciced that we'd get her spayed.

Someone on another forum argued with me about that decision. Some people seem to think that kittens and puppies will find homes because they're babies and cute, but when there are too many cute babies, not all of them are going to find homes, especially if you're trying to be really careful about who gets them.

Luckily Sophie just ended up having worms (not that worms are lucky :-? ) and there were no dead unborn kittens on my hands (my money, my decision).

Guest Anonymous

As long as the animal is in early pregnancy I believe in spaying them while pregnant (Abort). If we are talking two weeks or less until delievery I don't believe it should be done.

I assisted with several spays where the kittens were born alive and fully formed. We were a very tired group of techs by the end of that summer.

I belive that if it is an unplaned thing like most are than yes it should be done unless it it too late in the pregnancy.
A lot of yall know of the problem ive been having with my inlaws kittys and i have kept on them about getting them fixed well they findly did and found out that one was already pregnant again!! I told him that she was and they needed to take them up so they did and found out after the spay that indead she was. well Im glad that they got it done and i dont have to worry bout the babies cause i do and i will wonder bout them forever. since i have been old enough and since i got MY own pet they have been fixed cause i know i would wonder and worry bout them for life.... Its too much heart ach for me and there is tooo many unwanted pets as it is

Well, this is certainly a loaded topic. In humans, I am very strongly pro-choice. I think women have the right to make that decision for themself. And it doesn't have to do with when "life starts". The egg and sperm are each alive before then even come together. They only die if they do [i]not[/i] unite, so if perpetuating life is the only criteria, then a woman should stay constantly pregnant so no egg is wasted, and a man can't win (too many spermatazoa... not enough eggs). [i]Broccoli[/i] is alive, and I don't believe that gives it a right to life.

Anyway, off that hotbed and onto animals... I definitely think that abortion is the best choice in most cases. If my little Tully (my only intact pet) were to get pregnant somehow, I would have her spayed instantly, aborting the litter. I do not want to be responsible for a litter of mutts (nothing against mutts, of course), and if I can't manage to keep her from getting pregnant, then I shouldn't have an intact bitch.