Dogomania

Ban sale of pets in pet shops in Australia

bk_blue

I'm only putting it here because nobody really checks out the petitions page :oops:

Permission to crosspost

Don't buy pets from pet shops while homeless animals die!
Resist the temptation to buy that gorgeous kitten or puppy in the window. Because this lucrative pet shop market exists, backstreet breeders and "puppy mills" continue to churn out more and more poor puppies and kittens, whilst thousand of unwanted animals are killed at the pounds every year.

Thousands of innocent animals are put to death every year in Australia
simply because too many are bred and there are not enough caring homes.
Our mission is to:
Educate all potential pet owners why they shouldn't buy their companion animals from pet shops
Lobby Federal and State Government to ban the sale of animals in pet shops

Cute, small breeds such as this one are always put in pet shop windows to attract children and impulsive buyers. Pet shop owners are interested in making money, after all, they are running a business. They are not primarily concerned with educating their buyers in properly caring for their new pets or in taking responsibility for their wellbeing.

And so, new owners go home and soon realise that owning a pet is not all fun and games or as easy as it seemed. Many abandon their pets when the novelty wears off, and these gorgeous little puppies and kittens are now homeless in a pound awaiting a death sentence. Of course not all pound dogs and cats were originally bought from pet shops and discarded, but from discussions with pounds and rescue centres, we believe that many were.

Because this pet shop market exists, backstreet breeders and "puppy mills" continue to churn out more and more poor puppies and kittens, whilst thousands are being killed at the pounds every year.

Copy and pasted from [url]http://www.saynotoanimalsinpetshops.com[/url]

ETA: This is an Australian organisation.

Sign the Petition here!

[url]http://www.gopetition.com/online/3641.html[/url]

[color=red]Please sign everyone!!! I would really appreciate it!!! [/color] :angel:

Signed - and I'm sending it on to every one I know, posting it in all the email lists, and spreading the word - its about time somebody did something about it, too many animals are dying each year from careless breeders, and pet shops who only give a rats arse about the money. :evil: