Dogomania

Making the final decision

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've never been in a chat room if that is what this is, but I need help. My husband and mother tell me its time to put my dog Annabelle to sleep. I picked her up off the street in very bad shape about 2 1/2 years ago. She had obviously been severly abused. She can't hear, falls down alot, she is on two medications twice daily for seizures and to assist her breathing due to damage done to her throat. She pees and poops in the house and doesn't realize when she walks in it tracking it all over the house. She doesn't even wag her tail anymore. The vets guess her as approx 9 or 10 years old. She is so feeble due to being malnurished for most of her life. We give her vitamins daily. I'm up with her once during the night to take her outside. I work fulltime so that has been difficult. She is not left more then 4 hours at a time. She paces for hours on end walking in circles. Falling and picking herself up again till exhaustion. I don't believe she is very cohearent But after all that is said, when I pick her up and hold her she responds to me and I can see how much she loves being loved. She finally trust someone and knows what it's like to be cared for. I don't know if that means I should keep her holding on. Is putting her to sleep a selfish act on my part because of the work involved. My husband and mother feel her quality of life is poor. I'd welcome your opinions.

This is always a hard decision, I went through it with my first Pom a couple of years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer. When it became apparent that she was no longer happy and in pain we decided to have her put to sleep. Both my husband and I cried for days before and after. One thing that helped me was that in the days leading up to that decision I wrote her a letter, explaining how much I loved her and why I was making the decision that I did. I talked about all the fun things we did, all the bad things she did as a puppy :) and how much we would miss her. The letter turned out to be over 50 pages long, and it still breaks my heart to read it. Whatever you decide, take heart in knowing that we will support you and that there is nothing to be ashamed about in grieving for a pet.

you have made Annabelle's last 18 months as happy as possible
it is a very difficult to know when the right time is, with our dog I hoped and prayed she would pass in her sleep but we had to take her to be pts last september. You have done a lot for Annabelle you must be strong and do this too we will support you all we can
and please join and be a member here

Guest Anonymous

I agree with everyone when I tell you it is a very hard thing to do to someone who is part of your family, but your pet is counting on you to make the decision for them. When I had to make that decision for my Kassi 2 years ago it broke my heart but I know she was miserable and wasn't going to get better. My heart goes out to you :angel:

I just put my Boxer to rest a couple of weeks ago. Many of the signs you describe sound very familiar. She had a brain tumor. I decided to let her go as long as she still had some dignity of walking on her own. She lived for protecting me, cuddling and wagging her behind. She could not do any of it anymore and she did not know what's going on most of the time. She looked so peaceful........I know it was the best I could do for her. It's never easy - No matter when the point comes.......but you have to think about her now. What would she want? What does she need? Hang in there.......