Dogomania

Help with my puppy.

ebkelsey

Ok this is a wierd situation to me so I brought the question here to see if anyone can give me some advice. Well today when I did my usual thing and took my puppy Dozer out to play and stuff. He started acting strange. My neice's dog Brownie who is always here, was already outside. Him and Dozer are usually like best friends when out together you don't see one without the other. They are usually playing and so forth. Well today it was different. Dozer was acting all agressive towards Brownie. I thought he was just playin at first but he was continually tryin to bite Brownie. Well I put Dozer back on leash to keep him from the other dog. The entire time he wouldn't take his eye off of him and he would jerk tryin to get at him. Sorry for the long story but I wanted to explain before I asked my question. What could have caused him to act that way today? It was an over night change, literally. Do you think it was just a day phase? What should can I do? I know if I don't see any change I will keep them apart for now on.

they are both males, they aren't fixed. Dozer is 16 weeks old. I don't know exactly how old Brownie is but he isn't much older than Dozer. There were no changes in the house hold or anything and nothing could have happened between them because they aren't together at night time.

"not fixed" sends up warning flags....there could be a female in the area, in heat...or they could just be coming into their own out of puppyhood, and fighting for pack placement... is there a reason why he's not fixed? Most dogs have less aggression issues once "done"...

If they are close to the same age, they could both now be fighting for pack placement...if there is a female in heat nearby, they will fight over that....
although neither of them is old enough to mate, the scent is enough to set them off...

I all honesty it was kinda a personal choice of not having him fixed. I got a male becaues obviously you don't have to worry about him getting pregnant. I know it may sound like a stupid excuse but that is really only one i have for not having him fixed. I don't plan on breeding him though. As for the other dog I don't know exactly why he isn't. Im not his guardian. I really didn't know that at that age the scent of a female in heat would set them off. You taught me something new there. I guess it could be pack placement, I expected it to happened at some point,but I didn't expect it this soon or all of a sudden like that.

Thanks for the info though

[quote name='ebkelsey'] I don't plan on breeding him though[/quote]

You may not be planning on breeding, but accidents happen. Is it really worth the risk?

If you want him to have a better chance of being friendly to other dogs, neutering him is the way to go.

Also, he has a much smaller chance of developing certain cancers and other medical problems if he is neutered.

There really are a lot of advantages to having a neutered dog. I encourage you to consider it. Your pup won't even know they're missing!

Yup, BK is right. [url]www.neuticles.com[/url] ;)

And if you are worried about him getting fat after being fixed, that is pretty much a myth. Thier metabolism does change, but it is easy enough to correct. Feed a good food, but not too much and provide him with exercise. Getting him neutered sooner rather than later should make it easier to control his weight too.

[quote name='ebkelsey']:o I really didn't know that you could buy fake balls. How does that help?[/quote]

LOL - they dont help at all...but some people seem to think the dog "misses" them, or they want other people to think they're whole, who knows?

Neutering is the best solution, for a number of reasons. It will cut down on the dog wanting to "roam", looking for a mate. It will drastically cut down on the possibility of testicular cancer...his temperament will improve, he will be less dominant, and easier to train. The sooner the better, before they have already developed the above problems.

[quote name='ebkelsey']I all honesty it was kinda a personal choice of not having him fixed. I got a male becaues obviously you don't have to worry about him getting pregnant. I know it may sound like a stupid excuse but that is really only one i have for not having him fixed. I don't plan on breeding him though. As for the other dog I don't know exactly why he isn't. Im not his guardian. I really didn't know that at that age the scent of a female in heat would set them off. You taught me something new there. I guess it could be pack placement, I expected it to happened at some point,but I didn't expect it this soon or all of a sudden like that.

Thanks for the info though[/quote]

males don't get pregnant, but they do more damage to the pet population than females. you're not planning on letting him breed. Does he know that? because he'll have other ideas on your plans for him. four months is young, but not too young for hormones to start kicking in.

Well I guess he could cause a problem if he had the chance. The only female dog that he comes in contact with is mine and she is spayed. I may consider getting him neutered. I just never had any of my males dogs fixed before and Im stubborn about changing my ways. After reading all the knowledge y'all have shared with me I may get it done. I know that if the health benefits are anything near that of what you get when you spay a female it is definitely a GREAT thing. Because looking at my dog Missy you would never know that she is over 10.

Eric

ebkelsey, I am now going to play "dirty pool", from experience. I dont know why you dont want to neuter your males, but aside fromt he already mentioned health benefits, think of it from this viewpoint....

If you had sexual urges, that you could not control because they are governed by instinct rather than then choice, and had NO OOUTLET for them.....what would you do? You;d become aggressive, you'd try to run off, you;d do WHATEVER YOU COULD to satisy that need. And it is a need, unlike people they dont "choose" to mate...nature chooses for them.

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering if that was your boy in your little pic? I am sure you know there are many breeds to which dog aggression is a common problem. Neuteriong/spaying sometimes reduces teh problem but if you have any kind of bully..same sex dog aggression is just something you will probably have to live with. Get a breed that was bred for fighting and you are going to get a dog that wants to fight.

Yes that is him in the pic. I know and have accepted that he may just one day feel the urge to fight. I know that in the bred that you dog can be perfectly fine with other dogs one week, but something can trigger them and make them want to fight. But as for my dog and the other dog fighting, it has stopped. I think I know what caused it too. This may sound strange but this is the only plausable(sp) cause i found. A day or two after Dozer was acting like he didn't want Brownie anywhere near him, Brownie got real sick almost like was about to die. I ended up rushing him to the vet. Im thinkin that Dozer knew something was wrong with him beforehand. Oh well thats just my assumption.

Eric