Dogomania

Dogs and the beach

StarFox

I'm thinking I might take Zebra to the beach this weekend. He has never been before so I'm wondering if I have to take any precations when taking him there?

Is there anything special that I should take? I mean as it is when I take him out to the park I bring everything except for the kitchen sink.

Do dogs need sun screen for there nose?? :lol: :oops:

Thanks in advance.

If your dog is fair skinned I would recomment sun screen. They can burn just like we do. Some dogs love to drink the salt water. So you may want towatch for that - otherwise you will have a mess in the car. Have fun. My dogs used to chase the birds and waves. It was fun to watch....

a list of items to consider, depending on the heat....

a water bowl, and fresh water in a sealed bottle. As mentioned he should NOT drink salt water...the salt isnt good for him, and will only make him more thirsty, and then prone to throwing up.

sunscreen if his nose is red or pink...if black, it's not usually an issue.
use sunscreen for children, not adults. It is stronger, and less harmful if they lick it off. (You dont want anything with cocoa butter in it, that's tanning lotion, not sunscreen)

if you have room, a cooler with ice in it. Dogs love to chew on ice, and its a great relief if its hot. You will enjoy it too!!

A long lead, especially if other dogs or people are around, to introduce him since it's his first time. I wouldnt let him run loose at first...

recall treats, especially if the waves are high. Introduce him to the ocean slowly at first, and judge how he handles the action of the waves. Some dogs are better swimmers than others.

as mentioned, a damp towel, in conjunction with the ice, will help him alot if he overheats...

have TONS OF FUN!!!

:D :D :D

Guest Anonymous

ditto what everyone else said. especially the water. i took dresden to the beach two weeks ago for a couple days and she drank a TON of water :) one other comment, if he's never been to the beach before it might freak him out at first, dresden took several days to get used to it.....then the second time we went she had a ball, she was having so much fun in the water that a lady stopped and told me she had never seen a dog have so much fun jumping around in the ocean :)

[quote name='marble visiting']ditto what everyone else said. especially the water. i took dresden to the beach two weeks ago for a couple days and she drank a TON of water :) one other comment, if he's never been to the beach before it might freak him out at first, dresden took several days to get used to it.....then the second time we went she had a ball, she was having so much fun in the water that a lady stopped and told me she had never seen a dog have so much fun jumping around in the ocean :)[/quote]

thanks Marble...you summed it up better than I did. The amount of salt in the air will make both you and the dog thirstier than usual...salt tends to suck up whatever water you have available, even sweat....I dont remember ever actually sweating all the years my family spent in Florida over Christmas....

I would intriduce her to the ocean on the long lead, just to make sure the waves dont tire her out and she cant swim back....now, I have never actually spent time on the west coast beaches (saw them for the first time last year, too cold to play) but in Florida, there are these things called Man-O-Wars...they are a variant of the jellyfish, and nasty as hell. They sprinkle the beaches in Florida. I got stung by one, and was sick for three days. They look like small, bright blue balloons....and the tentacles are usually under the sand, lying in wait. If you see anything like that, keep yourself and your dog away!!!!

:o

have fun!!

:D