Dogomania

Older dogs for older people

My grandma is thinking about getting another dog after her beloved Fox Terrier passed away.Tilly was old,and didnt really get enough excersise as it was nan has arthritic knees so cant walk very well.I walked her whenever i visited but she was really old,like 16, so couldnt handle more than a run in the backyard any way.

But now my nan wants another Fox Terrier pup,Im trying to talk her out of getting a puppy,imagine how many hours of excersise that puppy would need!And I dont really want to spend all of my time walking nanna's dog,which I would do because I couldnt stand to see the poor thing go without.Not to mention toilet training ,taking it to puppy school and making sure it saw different situations/people to get properly sozialised!Nan wouldnt be able to handle it.

So I suggested Nan go to the RSPCA and get an older dog,one who has already been trained and assesed.Nan wont listen to me though,grrr :evil:
She wants to get a pup,who hasnt been 'messed up'.I've wasted many hours talking to her,trying to make her see.

She wont pay any attention to what I've said,any suggestions to make her change her mind,or do you think she should be able to get a puppy like she wants?

Tell her that puppies are more likely to get adopted and that older dogs have less chance of being adopted. How about bringing her to the HUmane Society to see if she can fall in love with one of their adult dogs? You could even ask them to hide the puppies for you

Tell her Laurel's story. A field trialed Foxhound, purebred, 6 years old/ Her usefulness to the hunt is no more. If the Foxhound rescue society had not taken her, she would have been put down. That's their policy. I adopted her, she is quiet, gentle laid back (she started out really afraid, but I took her because she got along with Freebee...and she is 200% better now) but Gram could adopt one from a rescue society with no issues. People give them up, not always because they're bad, but because they are moving, develop allergies, having a baby, etc. good luck!!

:D

Kendalyn, she is a glutton for punishment! Not only a puppy, but a Fox Terrier puppy?? EEK! The high energy of most puppies combined with that terrier energy and stamina... my goodness, it's a job even I wouldn't want. I really and truly hope she'll reconsider. There are so many benefits to adopting adult dogs. I actually prefer adult adoptions.

*They are quite often already housetrained. If not housetrained, contrary to popular belief, it's not any more difficult to housetrain them than a puppy.
*They are also quite often already altered.
*Also often current on vaccinations and if not, it doesn't take much to get them current... unlike the full puppy series of vacs, wormings, etc. $$
*Their personalities and temperaments are pretty much set and apparent. No having to wait to see what they're going to turn out like.
*They're usually past that destroy everything in their path age.
*You don't typically have to get up with them 2-3 times a night to take them out.
*Did I mention those little needle like puppy teeth as they are teething?
*Maybe she can appreciate this.... an older dog would appreciate a loving companion just as much as, say, SHE would. You don't see dogs running around saying, "hey, forget about old folks... I want a YOUNG owner!!" :wink:
*They would be able to enjoy their time together without all the added stresses of keeping up with a young puppy. Think of sunny afternoons together sitting on the porch and watching the world go by. That's a treasure you just can't buy.

If all else fails, I'd love to send Fifty to live with her for a few days (he's in his forever home now, but still...). He's already a year old and not even a terrier, but he would be the perfect deterrent for someone who lives a quiet, non-active life and thinks they need a puppy.

Seriously, I hope she'll reconsider. She couldn't be looking for a more high energy type of dog, period, much less puppy. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Thanks for all the great advice! :D

I actually sat Nan down in front of the computer and made her read all the posts,she's going a bit blind :wink: , but she read them all and after more talks,more reading and still more talks she agreed it made sense,she still liked the idea of a puppy,but I was able to get her to go to the RSPCA with me and have a look and talk to the people who work there!!!

The woman we talked to agreed that Nan should get an older dog.We looked at all the dogs,it broke my heart :cry: ,I wanted to take them ALL home.

There was a cute black Poodle cross which was approx 8 years old,with only 3 legs.Nan fell in love with her,so did I.I think her motherly instincts kicked in.We played with her and she was affectionate and seemed to really click with my nan,but nan didnt want to make a decision right then.But fingers crossed!!!!!

Oh,and I voluntered to help walk the dogs and clean out cages and stuff for them!I've always wanted to work with animals and this seems to be a start.Im so happy!!!!Yay for me! :D

Nans decided she would rather take on an older dog to a puppy! :D

We had another talk,and went back to see the poodle at the RSPCA and we were able to convince her that older would be better for her!

Although we have to bring Nans old cat to the RSPCA,to see if the poodle and her get alomg,it looks as though Nan's going to adopt her!!

We took Nans 18 yr old cranky feline to meet the poodle today.At first they just sat there,not doing anything. :-?
Eventually,though the little poodle went over and sniffed Pumpernickel, who didnt like that,but all she did was growl and angry kitty growl,then the Poodle got the message and walked away
The RSPCA attendant said the meeting went well,and seeing Nan's fallen hopelessly in love with the little girl,the adoption can take place! :D :D
Nan will be able to take her home next week,but for now we are thinking of names for her.I think a name like Tripod would be cute,but my dad say's it to cliche.Whereas Nan wants a really cute girly name,like Fifi or Lilly.

Suggestions please! :D :D :D