Dogomania

Grass ok?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 8 year old dog, Daisy, is eating grass. Is this bad?

I just adopted her a month ago and I feed her Purina fit & Trim with some Cycle lite (lamb and rice) mixed it and she snacks on Liver Snaps. She shows no signs of illness, but I know my prievious dogs would eat grass, and vomit later. Since Daisy is new for me, I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Daisy is a female Shepard/Begal, and I know they only fed her dry food at the pound, and what ever food they had at the time. She's a bit heavy and I'm feeding her the lite food to help her shed a few pounds and I'm walking her daily.

The grass concerns me a little, even though she's not vomitting.

some dogs just eat grass because it's "fun", but with the food you are feeding i'm concerned that she might not be getting all the nutrients she needs. purina is the maker of a good number of "popular" foods, but unfortunately none of them are of particularly good quality.

i'd recommend switching to a high quality brand of food (e.g. innova, canidae, eagle pack holistic, chicken soup, etc.) and adding a good supplement like nupro, solid gold sea meal or doc kruger's.

if you want to read about pet food and learn how to choose a better brand, check out [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/]the dog food project[/url].

Grass is good for dogs...the only problem is pesticides. I grow my own grass for my dogs...oat tops , wheat grass or barley grass can be left by the water dish at all times for occasional nibbling. Grass is good for digestive cleaning...the only down side to this is some times your dog may eat grass ravenously for this purpose and regurgitate it...this is normal behavior that has been passed down through hundreds of canine generations, from the mighty wolf of the wild north, to the homes of modern urbania. If the occasional nibble turns into full fledged grazing, its time for for a walk :wink:

[quote]If the occasional nibble turns into full fledged grazing, its time for for a walk [/quote]
Ehhh... you just described Goo :roll: She'll find a nice patch of "baby" grass (the real tender bright green stuff), and go to town, then when she's had enough of that, moves on until she finds another patch of the same, then eats that, then so on and so forth.... If you try to call her out of it, she gets real "into" it and starts pulling up clumps of the stuff, then does zoomies and rolls around on it :lol: I think in her case, it's part fun, part because she actually likes the taste of that type of grass. She doesn't do it everytime we're outside, just when the mood strikes and she seems a tasty patch of greens. I don't mind too much, aside from the occasions when the grass gets stuck coming out the other end :o

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for the info :kciuki:

Daisy is more of a selective grazer, where my past dogs had a grass feast.

I apreciate all of you relaxing me on this. :D

My dog Tenaya is also a grass eater especially when it is new grass like we have around right now. Taking her for a walk can be pointless since she likes to stop at every green grassy weedy thing she sees. She has never gotten sick and I agree one of the worst things about her eating the grass is when it gets stuck coming out :lol:

[url]http://www.all-aboutdogs.com[/url]

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yep i think that it is fine, eventho they are carnivores that might be okay to eat, just be careful for them not to start eating hair, as some humans have also had fatal consequences when eating hair... so grass should be fine as it can be digested but don't let it eat too much of grass...

I would as the vet tho next time you go for a checkup just to be sure :)