Dogomania

Native American Indian Dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I also bought a NAID. Beautiful dog but aloof and not very affectionate. Sheds continuously. I bought mine from Terra Pines. Where did you get yours? Buyer beware :(

I have seen a couple people post about NAIDS. I am kinda curious, why are you all so unhappy with your dogs? Are they aggressive towards people? Do they have questionable temperments?
I ask, because the other posts I saw were people complaining about aloofness and that they shed constantly. Maybe its just my opinion, but these dont seem like reasons to be unhappy with a dog. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='drjeffrock']I have seen a couple people post about NAIDS. I am kinda curious, why are you all so unhappy with your dogs? Are they aggressive towards people? Do they have questionable temperments?
I ask, because the other posts I saw were people complaining about aloofness and that they shed constantly. Maybe its just my opinion, but these dont seem like reasons to be unhappy with a dog. :wink:[/quote]

The breed does not appear to be aggressive towards people but is very shy. I guess temperment is questionable since the dogs appear to be very shy. It's not that I hate my dog. He can be affectionate at times. The problem is the breeder. Dogs do not appear to be socialized at an early age & they continue to breed dogs they know are shy & shed. The breed is advertised as shedding once a year. My dog has shed continuously since the day I bought him. When you are looking for a low maintainence dog and you think you are getting one, its very frustrating to find out that your not getting what you paid for. I have invested a lot of time with the dog and put him in obedience and agility classes. The dog seems to have attention deficit disorder and doesn't seem to stay focused. Again, I believe he is a product of an irresponsible breeder.

Guest Anonymous

Not to get off topic or anything, but IMO there's no such thing as a low maintenence (sp?) dog. Maybe the grooming time is less for some breeds, Cresteds for example wouldn't need a whole lot of brush time :D , but every dog requires care. Sometimes a LOT of care.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='BentleysMom']Not to get off topic or anything, but IMO there's no such thing as a low maintenence (sp?) dog. Maybe the grooming time is less for some breeds, Cresteds for example wouldn't need a whole lot of brush time :D , but every dog requires care. Sometimes a LOT of care.[/quote]

You are right. Some dogs require less maintainence then others. But NAIDS are advertised as low maintainence dogs and they are not. I just wanted a dog that didn't require grooming every day.

Guest Anonymous

(My.spacebar.doesn't.work)
My.NAIDS.are.both.very.affectionate.and.loving.I.researched.the.breed.thouroughly(sp?)and.found.a.good.breeder.and.they.are.both.just.the.best.dogs.in.the.world! :D They.do.shed.alot,but.I.don't.know.any.breeds.that.dont.shed.at.all.I'm.sorry.that.some.of.these.people.didnt.get.a.good.breeder.that.is.ruining.the.name.of.this.wonderful.breed :evil: I'm.sorry,but.that.just.makes.be.mad(but.so.do.all.BYB's)I.would.but.in.some.pictures,but.I.cant.figure.out.how.to.insert.them :oops: ![/img]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolina.Dog.Lover'](My.spacebar.doesn't.work)
My.NAIDS.are.both.very.affectionate.and.loving.I.researched.the.breed.thouroughly(sp?)and.found.a.good.breeder.and.they.are.both.just.the.best.dogs.in.the.world! :D They.do.shed.alot,but.I.don't.know.any.breeds.that.dont.shed.at.all.I'm.sorry.that.some.of.these.people.didnt.get.a.good.breeder.that.is.ruining.the.name.of.this.wonderful.breed :evil: I'm.sorry,but.that.just.makes.be.mad(but.so.do.all.BYB's)I.would.but.in.some.pictures,but.I.cant.figure.out.how.to.insert.them :oops: ![/img][/quote]
Carolina Dog lover
I'm glad your NAIDS are very affectionate. Where is your breeder located? Do you own NAIDS or American Indian Dogs? There is a big difference in the appearance of the breeds. If you can figure out how to insert pictures I would love to see them. Do you have males or females? The NAID I own replaced an Old English Sheepdog who died suddenly from blot. She was high maintainence but really didn't shed. So when I read NAIDS only shed once a year I thought I wouldn't be brushing everyday. I guess NAIDS only shed once a year if you keep them as an outside pet. How are your dogs with strangers?

Guest Anonymous

My.dogs.are.brothers,their.breeder.is.in.South.Carolina.My.dogs.are.a.little.hesitant.around.strangers.and.it.takes.them.awhile.to.trust.them,but.once.they.do.and.the.person.comes.again.their.tails.start.to.wag.because.they.are.so.happy.to.see.them!Are.the.NAIDS.the.ones.that.look.like.wolves.or.dingoes?The.ones.I.have.are.the.dingo.looking.ones.(I.can't.keep.track.of.all.the.names.they.have.for.the.breed,Carolina.dog,Dixie.Dingo,etc)My.dogs.do.shed.all.year.round,except.more.heavily.in.the.spring.[/img]

Guest Anonymous

celestial13,here.are.some.websites.that.have.pictures.and.other.things...some.of.the.stuff.is.from.my.breeder.i.buy.from(both.of.the.sites.are.owned.by.the.same.person):
[url]www.carolinadogs.org[/url]
[url]www.carolinadogs.com[/url]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolina.Dog.Lover']celestial13,here.are.some.websites.that.have.pictures.and.other.things...some.of.the.stuff.is.from.my.breeder.i.buy.from(both.of.the.sites.are.owned.by.the.same.person):
[url]www.carolinadogs.com[/url][/quote]
Carolina dog lover,
I did look at the webs sites you sent. They are beautiful dogs. My dog doesn't look like that. He's 95 pounds and looks like a wolf. He has a heavier coat with a straight tail. He also doesn't bark. He does howl. Which made me think I bought a hybrid wolf instead of NAID. I had no idea at the time that these dogs rarely bark. Terra Pines dogs are much larger 80 - 120 pounds. The biggest problem is that they were poorly socialized before they were 6 weeks. We all know how important it is to socialize puppies at a young age. He hide under a bed for the first three days. He continues to shed continuously. Don't buy from Terra Pines Kennels. There are other breeders out there who sell better dogs.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolina.Dog.Lover']celestial13,here.are.some.websites.that.have.pictures.and.other.things...some.of.the.stuff.is.from.my.breeder.i.buy.from(both.of.the.sites.are.owned.by.the.same.person):
[url]www.carolinadogs.com[/url][/quote]
Carolina dog lover,
I did look at the webs sites you sent. They are beautiful dogs. My dog doesn't look like that. He's 95 pounds and looks like a wolf. He has a heavier coat with a straight tail. He also doesn't bark. He does howl. Which made me think I bought a hybrid wolf instead of NAID. I had no idea at the time that these dogs rarely bark. Terra Pines dogs are much larger 80 - 120 pounds. The biggest problem is that they were poorly socialized before they were 6 weeks. We all know how important it is to socialize puppies at a young age. He hide under a bed for the first three days. He continues to shed continuously. Don't buy from Terra Pines Kennels. There are other breeders out there who sell better dogs.

[quote]My dog doesn't look like that. He's 95 pounds and looks like a wolf.[/quote]

you may very well have gotten a hybrid...wolves dont bark, unless they are exposed to other dogs alot (like live with them) and then eventually they will learn to bark..the closest a wolf comes to a bark is a little
chuffing" sound they make, kinda like a dog "barking under his breath"....

Your vet shuld be able to tell you if it's a hybrid. Check the teeth (If he'll let you, that is) wolves canines turn under more than a dogs. they have a curve under to them, provided by nature for ripping flesh. (sorry if that's too graphic) that was bred out in most domesticated dogs. They're teeth and jaw structure are also generally bigger than a domesticated dog. obviously for hunting. I had a malamute, border collie wolf mix (try to imagine that in your mind) and that's where I learned this. The vet almost refused to treat him, because here you are not allowed to own a "wild animal" without a license, but she relented because the wolf in him was minimal. He did have the teeth though, and he was very dominant and very pig-headed.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='courtnek'][quote]My dog doesn't look like that. He's 95 pounds and looks like a wolf.[/quote]

you may very well have gotten a hybrid...wolves dont bark, unless they are exposed to other dogs alot (like live with them) and then eventually they will learn to bark..the closest a wolf comes to a bark is a little
chuffing" sound they make, kinda like a dog "barking under his breath"....

Your vet shuld be able to tell you if it's a hybrid. Check the teeth (If he'll let you, that is) wolves canines turn under more than a dogs. they have a curve under to them, provided by nature for ripping flesh. (sorry if that's too graphic) that was bred out in most domesticated dogs. They're teeth and jaw structure are also generally bigger than a domesticated dog. obviously for hunting. I had a malamute, border collie wolf mix (try to imagine that in your mind) and that's where I learned this. The vet almost refused to treat him, because here you are not allowed to own a "wild animal" without a license, but she relented because the wolf in him was minimal. He did have the teeth though, and he was very dominant and very pig-headed.[/quote]

courtnec
That's for the information. He has a vet appointment next week, so I will have the vet check him. He doesn't seem to have the personality of a hybrid wolf. He's not territorial. He's a very laid back dog. He loves other dogs but they don't seem to like him. He doesn't try to escape the back yard even though he can jump the fence. I will have my vet check him out.

Guest Anonymous

I purchased a pup from terra pines also. She was so afraid of men that and strangers that she bit me from fear. The vet and also my trainer told me to put her down. I called the breeder and they didn't care at all. They said "Well, you know her better than us" and that was it. They never asked me any other questions. They don't care about the breed. They were not concerned that my Nala was so scared that medication wouldn't work. I am convinced that there is something wrong with her brain. They were told by another breeder for years not to breed this one pair and they kept doing it anyway. And it is ashame for the dogs and the owners. Our family tried everything to keep our baby. From a trainer to a vet specializing in animal behaviour. Both said that she would never be normal. Giving her away was the hardest thing we had to do but she couldn't live in our house with my husband there too. And why bother having a dog when they are outside all the time. Please if anyone is thinking of this breed be very careful who you choose. And don't make it Terra Pines!!!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='wendy']I purchased a pup from terra pines also. She was so afraid of men that and strangers that she bit me from fear. The vet and also my trainer told me to put her down. I called the breeder and they didn't care at all. They said "Well, you know her better than us" and that was it. They never asked me any other questions. They don't care about the breed. They were not concerned that my Nala was so scared that medication wouldn't work. I am convinced that there is something wrong with her brain. They were told by another breeder for years not to breed this one pair and they kept doing it anyway. And it is ashame for the dogs and the owners. Our family tried everything to keep our baby. From a trainer to a vet specializing in animal behaviour. Both said that she would never be normal. Giving her away was the hardest thing we had to do but she couldn't live in our house with my husband there too. And why bother having a dog when they are outside all the time. Please if anyone is thinking of this breed be very careful who you choose. And don't make it Terra Pines!!!![/quote]

Wendy,
I guess we really learned our lesson the hard way. Maybe this information will make people think twice about purchasing a puppy from Terra Pines

Guest Anonymous

There are very few dogs...mexican hairless, cresteds and poodles ect...who do not shed much but will to a small degree. Almost all other dogs have shedding and seasonal blow out stages though. Especially with such a full coat. NAIDs have almost a malamute/husky like coat. It's impossible for them not to shed especially during the shedding seasons.

• 4 weeks later...

"Your vet shuld be able to tell you if it's a hybrid. Check the teeth (If he'll let you, that is) wolves canines turn under more than a dogs"

You can't tell a wolfdog from a dog by its TEETH :roll: This is just a myth. Vets don't know anymore about wolfdogs than does any other person. Just because they are a vet doesn't mean they know the difference between a wolf, a wolfdog, and a dog.

Here is a website I created a while back about some of the differences between wolves and dogs..
[url]http://www.geocities.com/durkriswen/[/url]

Also, the NAID is a made up breed, just so you know. If it WAS a breed, they would look similar, just as all GSD's look similar, or all Golden Retrievers look similar. If you look at different NAID sites, they range considerably in size, shape, and color. Breeders 'create' them by mixing akitas, malamutes, hukies, GSD's, and sometimes even coyote.

~Seij

[quote]Teeth: long, curved...large in proportion to dog teeth[quote]

From you own article....that's pretty much exactly what I said. A wolf/wolf mixes teeth curve under more than a dogs...The canines on most dogs
go straight down. And maybe most vets dont realize that, but mine happened to.

[/quote]

Yes, but curved teeth ALONE will not prove that a dog is part wolf. You must understand, all the traits found in wolves CAN ALSO be found in dogs, that is why is is so very important to NEVER try deciding if a dog is part wolf based on ONE SINGLE factor! When determining a wolfdog from a dog, ALL factors must be taken into account, not just one.

Also, for those of you who do not believe me when I say that the NAID is not a real breed, I would be more than happy to tell you the real story of how they were created.

~Seij

and I will agree with that..and I will also say that the average dog owner should NOT own a wolf mix...they are NOT dogs and have to be treated differently......even in "small content"...Mine was "small content", just happened to have the teeth...and was a problem child from day one. I had to institute pack rules with him, severly inforced, to get him to behave. **I KNOW**how to do that. most people DO NOT!!@!@

THESE ARE NOT DOGS FOR EVERYONE...

I am glad you agree, I was just making sure that you understood that it is unwise to tell someone to have there vet check their dogs teeth to see if it is part wolf. It is like saying that if it has yellow eyes and large paws, it must be part wolf, however wolves aren't the only canines with yellow eyes and large paws, just as wolves aren't the only canines with large crved teeth.

"Some who've seen Topaz's picture have asked if Kia has some AID in her. Could be, but I don't think so."

Topaz lookes like he is probably a husky mix. He does resemble the AIDS, but the AID is also mutt with a fancy name, not a breed. I could only find one AID breeder on the net, I am not sure if they are supposed to be the same things as NAIDS or not..
One "NAID" breeder, Majestic View Kennels, actually started out with genuine high content wolfdogs, and back then they [b]were[/b] called wolfdogs, not NAIDS. However, when wolfdogs were banned in MI, the owner decided to change the name of her wolfdogs in order to keep them from being euthenized (she did this not because she loved her animals, but because she wanted to continue making money off of them). The owner knew though that her higher wolf content animals were still too wolf-looking to pass as "NAIDS", so she shot them and sold their pelts. She took the remaining low-wolf content animals, and inbred them to create the ones with white spots, which she thought would sell better because they looked more 'exotic'. Many of the other "NAID" breeders out there, including Terra Pines, have NAIDS in their stock which came from Majestic Kennels.

Regarding the article that Sanvean posted..
NAIDS aren't the only fake wolf-like breed out there. Kugsha dogs and North American Indian dogs are also fake. The Mississippi River Husky is another fake breed. Although there were dogs that were called Mississippi River Huskies, they were just a particular stock of Husky from a town on the Mississippi River, not a entirely seperate breed from the Siberian Husky. Many people have also been duped into buying "rare AKC registered white German Shepherds" which aren't rare at all, in fact, the AKC doesn't even recognise white GSD's since the white is considered a fault.

~Seij

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

:cry: so sad! How did you come across such information?! I have been researching the breed and after a month came across this message board. Everything was showing the "go ahead and buy sign". Although i do NOT trust any site with testimonials alone i can't help wonder why some many people seem content with the NAID.

:D i already figured they wern't a "breed" when i saw the sires and dams. Quite a mix. All foundation ones were different lag. breeds. I was planning to "visit" MVK next month to see how things went.

• 1 month later...