Dogomania

need photos of dogs please!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Article List
Animals/Pets Board
need good dog photos please!

Posted by: veryblue50
Date: 03/21/04

hi!
i'm developing an online dog encyclopedia. facts are easy to get but photos are not! i need them for dogsindepth.com, if anyone has some digital pix they could send along, you see there are very few up yet.
this is a huge endeavor. i only have the akc represented now, but there are 350 more to add! i plan on having the most comprehensive info on the web. the main goal is to give information to potential owners to better match up a dog with their lifestyle to prevent breakups. dogs don't deserve that!!! their lives are too short anyway! hope to see some pix! thanks

Guest Anonymous

Hi Golden,
thanks for the message. digital pix would be great! would it be too much trouble to check with the owner if they would mind if they are posted publicly and might they like to send along some insights into the personality of the breed? i know this is a huge request, but it is important to me that any pix are completely approved of putting on the web. i just can't take a pix of someone's family member and put it up for public viewing without their approval. so if you can't i understand. thanks so much for the offer it is greatly appreciated.
regards,
jilld

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this can help but if you wish you can use some pictures of our personal site about hovawarts. Hovawarts are a rare breed so maybe the pictures can be of any use to you...

you find the link to our site here below....
greetings from Belgium and lots of succes !

I also disagree about the assumption that dobes aren't good with other animals.

Do you guys see any disagreements in these photos? I sure don't... and most of these are dominant Dobermans!

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_0799.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/pfsig.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_1026.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_1034.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_1043.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_1479.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_1476.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_1486.jpg[/img]

About the APBT.......

[quote][color=blue]this dog can be very gentle and affectionate but unfortunately humans developed the breed to fight other dogs and so they are considered one of the most aggressive of all dog breeds and have the highest incidence of human attacks. they have powerful jaws and when they do attack it is hard to break them free. as an alternative, the american staffordshire terrier is very similar but the aggression has been bred out[/color][/quote]

The highest incidence of human attacks ???

I'm sorry but I think not :evil:

:x I looked up my little darlings, the JRT's and found several misconceptions about them :evil: Talk about stereo-typing !!! :-?
Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russell puppies

Jack Russell adults

group: terrier height: 10-12"
types: short and
long hair weight: 9-15 lbs
colors: white/brown, white/black or tri-color
physical traits: small, muscular,
hair type: long and short
personality/
temperament: feisty, boundless energy, hyperactive, fun-loving, affectionate, exuberant
maintenance/
special needs:
little grooming, [color=red][b]snappy and aggressive with anything that moves, not easy to train, possessive, hard to introduce new family members once dog is grown [/b][/color]nickname:
origination: Great Britain
bred for: hunt and kill rats, companionship
identifying traits:
ideal for: companionship, town or country,
[color=blue][b]good with kids? no [/b][/color]
life expectancy: 13-14 yrs
kennel clubs: akc

I do Daycare for children in my home, and my "Grrlz" are wonderful with the kids......
They also got their hair types wrong..... and the only Jacks that are in the AKC are the Parsons and in the pics they have posted with this info are the shorties............
They are not snappy or agressive and they were very quick and easy to train. I can't believe this crap !! :evil: :x
Better do some in-depth research and get it right, I can't believe some people are going to read this stuff and believe it !! :(

I had a bit of a peek at what was written about Alaskan Malamutes and have to say it was pretty much spot on.

The only comment I have on what was written is that I would say - can be prone to aggression towards other dogs rather than just aggressive towards other dogs.

It's good to let people know that they do have that tendancy and that there is a chance that your dog will be agressive towards other dogs but it's not guaranteed. Some malamutes are fine with other dogs but others aren't it's just one of those things you need to be aware of and prepared for.

While I don't agree with what was written about the APBT (the bit about human attacks was misleading and I believe incorrect) I do believe that it's good to list any possible negative trait for each breed. That way new owners know what they are getting into rather than being surprised and thinking they have an abnormal dog when that tendancy does appear. It's no good sugar-coating each breed and only listing the good things.

I E-mailed her and tryed to educate her and try to give her more information on the JRT's. And the only thing she changed was the Coat Type. :evil:
She also asked what other breeds I felt she wrote inaccuracy's on and I told her to come back and read the post, that other people had replyed.
The waya lot of these dogs are portrayed on this site it'll be a wonder if anyone wants these breeds !!! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

We at Dogfancy.com have also noticed several misleading statements on her site. While her intentions are good, to inform buyers about a dog before they make the mistake of purchasing a dog who doesn't meet their lifestyle, she does have a lot of misleading information. Us who know our own breed very well can teach her and inform her of the *correct* information.
[url]http://www.dogfancy.com/anforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37949&whichpage=1[/url]

Guest Anonymous

[color=green]Here is some useful information on the Doberman. It took only a few seconds to locate this info, when I was looking for information to include in my puppy packets.[/color]
[img]http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/images/header_Doberman-Pinscher.jpg[/img]
[b]Is a Doberman the Right Breed for me?[/b]
Doberman Pinschers can make very devoted and loyal companions if one is willing to put time and effort into the training and socialization of a Dobe. With a firm and loving owner, a Doberman will make a wonderful pal and protector for children, an obedient companion and loyal friend, and a loving member of the household. Unfortunately, not every person has the time or commitment necessary to properly teach the very intelligent Doberman what is expected and required of him. There are many things to carefully consider before choosing a Doberman as the breed for you.

Owning a Doberman, or any dog, requires a lengthy time commitment. A dog is for life, not just until it is inconvenient. Whether your Dobe is a puppy purchased from a breeder or a mature adult from a rescue or SPCA, there will be many learning experiences and obstacles to go through in the course of ownership.

Dobermans require firm yet loving training and guidance. Many Dobermans have dominant personalities and will try to "boss" around a permissive owner. To own a Doberman you must be one step tougher and smarter than your pet. Do not equate tough with harsh or abusive. Harsh owners need to look for another breed because Dobes are very sensitive and will not deal well with rough treatment. Abusive treatment will quickly result in a Doberman with a broken spirit and, quite often, aggressive temperment.

If you want a dog always on the go, look no further. Dobes are generally very active dogs that need something to do. Keeping our pets mentally stimulated is always a challenge. Dobes do best if they have a job to perform. Many Dobermans and owners excel at Obedience competition, Tracking events, and Agility training. Basic obedience training, at the very least, is mandatory for every Doberman Pinscher. Training assists owners in being "alpha" to their dogs. All dogs think in pack terms and need an "alpha" figure to guide them and provide discipline. Discipline does not mean punishment. Disciplining is providing firm and nurturing guidance, which all animals need.

If you are looking for an outdoor pet, do not consider a Doberman. When tied with a chain to a dog box, Dobes become surly and bored. A Doberman wants nothing more than to be a member of your family. He will not be satisfied with an occasional pat and kind word. He will demand and thrive on consistent attention on a daily basis.

Is your lifestyle one that will permit a goodly amount of time spent at home? If you travel quite a bit and plan on boarding your Dobe often, please consider that being kenneled will easily stress some Dobermans. Your Dobe may not eat while boarded and lose weight. While most owners board their dogs on occasion, a frequent traveler is best advised to consider a different breed, or make different arrangements, such as leaving the dog with family. It may also be difficult to have a friend come into your home to care for your Doberman if you are not home. Dobes tend to be very protective of their house and may not allow anyone in. A trial run before leaving is an excellent idea.

Do you want a dog that that is very exuberant and affectionate with every person he meets? If that is the type of dog you prefer, you would be smart to research a Golden Retriever or Collie. A Doberman is loving and affectionate with his family and close friends but is somewhat aloof and distant towards strangers and mere acquaintances. In fact, the breed standard calls for an aloof and reserved manner.

Before deciding that a Doberman is definitely the breed for you, attend a dog show or two, meet Dobermans and their owners, attend a local club meeting, and ask a lot of questions. When you are positive that you want a Dobe, contact a good breeder or rescue group for a referral. The AKC has a wonderful breeder referral line that will assist you in contacting breeders.

Please, do not get a Doberman puppy from a person that advertises puppies in the newspaper for a couple hundred dollars. You may think you are getting a deal, but in reality all you are getting is heartache. These people do not know about genetic or health problems that exist with any breed of dog, and many times they do not care. They want to make money. They will sell a puppy to anyone who has the money without checking to see that the puppy is going to a good home. They will not be able to help you with questions you will have because they do not have answers and often do not care. Do not buy a puppy from the commercial breeder, not even if they claim their puppies are "home/family raised", or pet store because these places are puppy mills. The parents of puppies like this are kept in small cages and given minimal or no health care. They are bred year after year until their poor misused bodies can no longer produce, then they are destroyed. If you decide a Doberman is for you, please make a responsible choice.

Dobes are very loving, intelligent pets. They are termed "Velcro" dogs because where you go, they are attached to you like they were Velcro'd fast. Dobermans are termed, by many, as "the Cadillac of dogs". They do everything with a bit of extra flair. They will offer you unbound love and devotion for their every minute in this world. When their time comes to go, they will not worry about themselves but will spend their last minute of life reassuring you that everything will be okay. I have found that the only bad part about owning a Doberman is that their lifespan is so much shorter than ours.
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7197/Dobe4me.html[/url]

[b]Did you know? [/b]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LadyG']We at Dogfancy.com have also noticed several misleading statements on her site. While her intentions are good, to inform buyers about a dog before they make the mistake of purchasing a dog who doesn't meet their lifestyle, she does have a lot of misleading information. [color=red][b]Us who know our own breed very well can teach her and inform her of the *correct* information.[/b][/color]http://www.dogfancy.com/anforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37949&whichpage=1[/quote]

I [i]tried[/i] doing just that....I E-mailed her at least 3X with the "correct" information and offered her any help with the JRT's that she needed.....the only thing she ended up changing was the coat type...... :-?