Dogomania

What do you think of...

atghylin

the Fromm Family dog food?

I'd like to switch Felix to a better quailty food but have been having problems finding one. I'd like to know if this is a better alternative then what he's on now. (I will not tell what he's on now 'cause I do not wish to be flamed. :P )

Here is the list of ingrediants on the sample packets I received...

Chicken, Ground yellow corn, chicken meal, oat flour, wheat flour, whole egg, fish meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), brewers rice, beet pulp, wheat germ meal, natural flavors, flaxseed, dried whey, brewers dried yeast, lecithin, monosodium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, vitiam A,, d3, e, b12 supplements, choline chloride, nacin, pantothenic acid, ascorbic acid, riboflavin, thiamine monoitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, manganous oxide, cooper oxide, cobalt carbonate, calicum iodate, sorbic acid, sodium selerite.

Crude protien..... not less then 23%
crude fat............ not less then 15%
crude fiber......... not more then 4%
moisture............ not more then 10%
ash................... not more then 6.5%

I did a label comparison this morning and liked what I saw on Fromm's label. This one does not have any meal by-products or by- pruducts listed specifically. The other had quit a few of them listed and all near the the begining of the list.

Let me know what you think. I would like to have a second opion(sp?) before I make any switch in Felix's food.

Thanks,
Amanda

I als don't like the corn, expecially as the second ingredient. their are many great foods out there; keep looking, you will find one that both you and your dog will like.

Check out- [url]http://greatgoldens.com/reviews/dogcomp.htm[/url] for reviews on most dog foods. It's a good place to start. You can compare what you are currently feeding to other brands.

Good luck

as long as
1. a dog doesn't have a specific sensivity to corn,
2. corn doesn't replace animal proteins as a protein source, and
3. high quality USDA graded corn is used (as opposed to feed grade corn)
there is nothing wrong with it being in a food at all. in fact, especially some large breed dogs tend to do better on corn than for example on rice.

however, the food you posted contains a high amount of grains and grain fractions (corn, oat flour, wheat flour, brewers rice) and seems rather low on animal protein. on the upside, it doesn't contain byproducts, generic animal sources or cheap protein fillers like gluten.

i do know that the fromm 4-star was among the whole dog journal recommended dry foods for 2004.