Dogomania

Nellie has become very itchy!

Nellie has a week to go before she has her pups and she has developed this constant itching. Paws, ears, and even her eyes seem to bother her. I took her to the vet and he gave me some benadryl. Althought he says it is safe I hate to give her anything that might hurt the pups. She has been on Innova for over a year but one thing I started doing in November was making her bisquits. I was thinking maybe with the ingredients ....wheat flour, corn meal, wheat gern, yeast and reg flour with chicken broth might have made her develop this condition. I have been reading where some dogs delvelop an intolerance to grain and if that is the case with her these bisquits would really aggravate her. I will look more into this after the pups are weaned but I am just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

What a shame...you certainly have been going through alot with this pregnancy. You are probably correct in assuming that your girl may have been getting too many grains...one of my girls developed an intolerance to grains in certain foods and developed itchy spots so bad she developed arual lick dermetitis where they actually mutalate them selves due to licking.
Take her off the biscuits and perhaps give her some healthy treats like carrots and apples...perhaps some boiled liver, chicken etc. I gave my Tori raw turkey necks for treats during her pregnancy, and beef heart occasionally and liver...plus veggies for treats. Variety is the spice of life :wink: I also gave her some natural bio organic yogurt with field berries mixed in as well...she loves yogurt. Of course, you'll have to be careful your little girl doesnt get diarrhea again..possibly the carrots, broccoli, apples etc. would be alright for her to munch on...they also contain fibre to help give her good bowel movements :wink:

Thanks Cassie. I had been giving her carrots but apples sound good. I have never tried them. I am with her all the time now so she doesn't scratch the areas she had irritatated before. The only area now that still is itchy are her ears. I have been cleaning them out with vinegar and water every day and she was doing well until I had to go out yesterday for a few hours. She does much better when I have her with me. She is uncomfortable right now and is clingy. She is getting lots of attention and spoiling from me. I sure know how is it to get big and pregnant and I have sympathy for her :-? Only about 4 more days to go :)