Dogomania

Good traits vs Bad traits

Queen Bitch

Ok I am totally ripping this off of another board, but meh, it's a good idea. :lol:

What are a couple of the good traits of your breed?
Conversely, what are a couple of the bad traits of your breed?
Mixed breed people the same thing applies. ( such as he has the good traits of this breed and the bad ones of this or whatever is similar.)

Dalmatians-
Pros: Very smart, happy, possibly the most distinct breed visually ,very loyal to their family, are known to smile ( or sMarl as it's called sometimes) very outwardly affectionate.

Cons: very high energy, smart enough to hold out on obeying until you find the right motivation, due to the 101 Dalmatians craze are over overbred thus producing a bunch of inferior dogs that damage the breeds reputation( nasty biters :roll: ), those who don't know better think when the Dal is smiling that it is baring its teeth and showing aggression, sheds profusely and year round and boy are those shotrt hairs hard to get out of things.

Samoyeds-
Pros: Gorgeous coat, that Sammy smile, friendly, fares well in a cold nothern climate.
Cons: The grooming of that gorgeous coat!, are roamers, headstrong, doesn't fare well in heat, somewhat aloof aka not a cuddler.

Guest Anonymous

Saint Bernard. Pros: Loving, loyal, great with kids, not high energy (if you find that a pro I do) sweet natured, smart.

Cons: For the rough coat... lots of grooming, they slobber, and size can be a con from some people (although I love it).

I'm sure if I forgot anything K will add it.

Husky mix. Pro: sweet, super willing to please, loves children.
Cons: whines constantly!

German Shepherds
Pro's: Very intelligent, loyal, willing worker, can be trained to do lots of different jobs, beautiful, good with kids, protective,

Cons: need lots of mental and physical stimulaion (ok, I find this a good thing), high energy (again, a good thing for the right family), need lots of training,

West Highland Terrier
Pros: Loyal, friendly, smart, not yappy, very affectionate(Jesse is anyway :D )
Cons: Need daily grooming to look neat, dirt shows easily, short legs so they get muddy easily, stubborn, not good with small animals.

Shepherd/Rottie/Lab mix
Pro's: Smart, good guard dog, friendly and affectionate, good with kids, steady temper, not quick to get mad, good with almost all animals.
Con's: Headstrong, roams, dislikes some dogs and might fight.

I'll just do a quck rundown of each of my "darlings"

Sandy: (lab/golden mix...was told there was chow but now don't beleive it) she is as sweet as can be...but twice as stubborn
Buddy: (corgi/beagle mix) smarter than a whip but has more energy than a perpetual motion machine
Gypsy: (shih tzu/schnauzer/etc mix) VERY loving, said of schnauzers and shih's, dog aggressive, attributed to the terrier part of a schnauzer
Fang: (siberian husky) he's funny. I don't know how to describe it but personality Plus Plus Plus. he's got a prey drive, and he is, fascinatingly, selectively deaf.
India: (corgie/beagle mix) as quirky as can be, super smart, but it takes something short of natural disaster to listen to me when she doesn't want to.
Calliope: (apbt, supposedly) loving. smart. loving. darn near genius. loving. con: prey drive, strange dog aggression, energy like a coiled spring.

Flatcoated Retriver
Pros: super affectionate, enthusiastic, intelligent, eager to please, easily trained, can be used for most everything, active outdoors but realatively (sp?) couchpotatoish indoors, loves everyone both dogs and humans, beautiful, doesn't shed much, good with small pets, easily motivated, not very barky, charming.

Cons: Jumpy, licky, sometimes overwhelmingly exhuberant, needs lots of mental stimulation (not necissarily a con), food crazy, easily excited, need lots of passivity training, hardly any fur (could be a pro but I like grooming :-? ), a bit stubborn.

Pros and Cons to Buck's mix (whatever it really is) maybe a Lab/Pointer mix

Pros: Happy, Looooves to learn new things, trainable, trusts and loves people even strangers, good with kids, very sweet and loves to cuddle, does not have an independant wandering bone in his body

Cons: Can be stubborn, does NOT like the water, finds any dead thing anywhere near the house and carries it around, kills mice and drops them on the doorstep for me to find, sheds a lot, he has a gentle soul and his feelings can get hurt easily.

Siberians, pros, sweet natured, usually very dog social, high intelligence and easy to train, beautiful coats with very distinct masks and markings, very people friendly.
Cons, totally unreliable off-leash, prone to the occasional snotty attitude (I have said that if they had fingers instead of paws they would flip you the bird :P ), shed like monsters, prone to CIKS, and very people friendly, which makes them easy pickings to be stolen if left unattended :( , and did I mention the shedding :o ?

[img]http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Lokipup/Dog%20pics/000_0024.jpg[/img]

Akita-
Pros- Extremely intelligent, very loyal, rarely bark, great with young children, great sense of humor, independent, not too energetic, natural guard dog.
Cons- Are there any? LOL! Grooming (only when shedding,) easily bored with training, very strong prey-drive, dominance over other dogs (they pretty much demand it always) disinterest in strangers, not the wisest choice for a first-time dog owner.

APBT-
Pros- Aim to please! Teach them tricks and they are more than happy to show off for you and anyone around you. Very friendly with people, good with children. They possess lots of courage, make great companions. Atheltic w/ great strength, agility and balance. Energetic (could be a con for some, haha.)
Cons- Can present a problem in a multi-dog household. Can NEVER be trusted to not fight with another dog. Be prepared to deal with dirty looks from people assuming you are a gangsta-thug dope dealer. :roll:

lab/pointer mix:

Pro's - very intelligent, easily trained, good with people she knows,
can go either for all day exercise, or sleeping on the couch. Whatever mom wants is ok with her. Very loyal, protective and little grooming is required. Loves water.

Cons:

does not like small children or strangers. Cannot ever be trusted off leash, because she is a hunting dog and would be off in a shot. stubborn.
manipulative. demanding at times. Did I say stubborn?

Foxhound:

(this probably does not apply to foxhounds raised from puppyhood)

Pro's: very loving, very loyal, a cuddler snuggler. little grooming required. intelligent, can reason things out to an extent (like taught herself successful countersurfing, and then trained Freebee how to do it!)
loves to be outside. Excellent sense of smell (woke me up when the garbage was smoldering)good with people she knows and trusts, good with children.

Cons: intelligent, can reason things out to an extent (like taught herself successful countersurfing, and then trained Freebee how to do it!)
too smart for her own good in some cases.... :D
can not be trusted off leash. can not be trusted to not try to find a way out of the yard. (I have caught her checking every square inch of the gate and fence, looking for a way out), digs under the shed (I believe there is a critter living under there)her hunting instincts and excellent nose seem to get her in trouble. is too sensitive, frightens easily and even a stern NO
will make her run away...

[b]Basset Hound.[/b]

Pros. Beautiful as hell!!... loyal, excellent smelling sense, low physical activity, low manteinance (except for the ears), friendly with kids , adults and other animals, never bite, so smart, if there's nothing better to do, they sleep.

Cons. Delicate ears and eyes, hardly training (they're so independent), loud bark.

Toy poodle

Pros. Friendly with all the living beings, so smart, easy on training, good company for kids and adults, they act like a member of the family.

Cons. High maintenance (hair, ears, nails), loud barking when somebody come home, so jealous with other pets, even people...and not too masculine :lol:

Great topic Hillside, thanks! :D

Australian Cattle Dog x Smooth Border Collie (some of the pros are cons and vice versa, depending on what you like!)

Pros- smart, tough, hard-working, easily trained, eager to please, playful, energetic, agile, low-maintenance, great watchdog, gentle with children, likes water, independent, loves other dogs, loves people

Cons- gets destructive when bored, bored easily, dominant, can be biters/nippers, sheds little but constantly, stubborn, single-minded, can be demanding, can be aloof at times, said to be a one-person dog, boisterous, needs a LOT of exercise, not good with cats, certainly not for a first-time owner.