Dogomania

what age is too late to crop my APBT?

ebkelsey

I was calling around the other day asking different vets about getting my dog ears cropped because my current vet doesn't do it. Well i called one vet and asked about it and they told me to make sure that he is at least 4 months old before I bring him in to get cropped. I thought that was wrong so i called another vet and asked them and they told me that He shouldn't be older than 12 weeks when I bring him in to get his ears done. I just want to know some of your opinions on this. Which is right? I thought the younger the better was the way to go, but I could be wrong. I don't want to cause my dog too much unneeded pain, so could someone help me out on this one? Thanks

Eric

Hey Eric-
How old is your APBT? I have no clue about the best age to crop, my vets are completely against cropping. I am assuming the younger the better. I think cropped ears look impressive, but I would never subject my dogs to it. I rescued Dex and his ears were already cropped. Whoever cropped his ears must ahve done a basement job, lots of scar tissue. He is pretty sensitive to people touching his ears aside from me and my old lady.

Guest Anonymous

most vets will tell you 4 months is the max age. I have met a few that prefer the older dogs becase the ears are eaasier to get to stand with minimal taping.
just make sure which ever one you go to have experience with the breed. all ears cropsa re not the same, and the last thing you want is a bad crop... bad crops are forever.

side note: there is nothing wrong with cropping your dog, some people do it some do not. I am not going to tell you not to when two of my three are cropped, but i am also not going to tell you to do it. A LOT of pit bulls look really good with natural ears.
weigh your options.

I think there are 2 schools of thought on cropping.

Some people think that older is actually better because the ear has had time to gain some shape and there will be less need for taping or "training" the ear to stand up. I would talk to the vet personally and look at some pictures of previous dogs he has cropped. It's kind of an artistic thing and you want to make sure he knows what you want and is able to do it.

I prefer the uncropped look but I wouldn't go so far to say that it is cruel to do it to your dog. I'd prefer people didn't do it, but if they're going to, obviously they need to have it done right (no backyard hack jobs).

Hear, Hear Kat.

The dog does not benefit in any way by having this painful and unnecessary surgery. If you don't want to cause your dog any pain then don't do it.

I will never understand why people are happy to put their dogs through pain like this for no good reason. :(

Well I know this is a lil lately said, but i have been on in a few days. I have a reason for wanting to crop my dog's ears. It is because the last bull dog i had would get this build up of stuff in his ears that i would have to clean out every other day. My vet told me that would not have happened if I would have had his ears cropped. So I was tryin to prevent a possible problem, but if you must know. Im not going to get his ears done because I have gotten so used to seeing him the way he is. On another note if I wanted to cause my dog unneed pain I would i have took my friend offer to let him do it, but i have a lot better sense than that. After he told me he would do it with some scissors i told him to stay the hell away from my dog. I wouldn't even want to imagine how many people probably do a back yard job like that though.

Eric

Eric,
I commend you for deciding against ear cropping for your pup. I too prefer to leave a dogs ears natural UNLESS there is a valid MEDICAL reason to crop. I've seen some beautiful natural ears on pitbulls.
Regarding the buildup within the ear, yes some earsets to assist in creating an environment for buildup or moisture problems. However, I highly doubt a pitbulls natural ears would be a culprit, generally speaking, its dogs with long, hanging ears that lie close to their heads that seem to cause the most problem. I believe Cocker Spaniels are one such breed that has a higher incidence of ear troubles due to the size, weight, and furry coverings of their ears.
There are other causes of excessive waxy buildup or infections in the ears.
I wish you and your pup the best and hope to see photos of him.

Guest Anonymous

I can totally understand a person not wanting to get their dogs ears done, but to come up with some off base opinon of a person that does want to have it done it just plain wrong. Its pretty much well knownt that the ears of a pup are not nearly as sensative as they are when the dog get older. the nerve ending in the extemeties are not yet firing. not to mention they dog is put all the way out when a crop is completed. after the crop about the worst thing for the dog is that its itchy. Diallo had his ears cropped just last week, and he is just as much a happy and playful pup as Deja is. He whining or flinching when one of the dogs bump his ears. He does try to scratch them, hence his lamp sahde collar though. I think that the problem most people have with cropping is that is sounds like it hurts, and you know if would hurt you, so you assume it hurts a dog too. The anatomy of a dog and a human is not comparable. Not to mention this breed is notoriously pain resistant. BUt i think that this applies to most any breed of dog. That is why they crop so young. it is relatively painless and the puppy will heal fast.
I see nothing wrong with croppinga dog, if its something that you are against that is fine, but you shouldnt be pushing what you feel onto someone elses dog. And you definately shouldnt form an opinion on someone based on weather or not thier dog is cropped or docked. depending on the breed and if that person shows thier dogs or what, it might be VERY beneficial for that person to have those operations performed. I know most standards have been changed to include natiral dogs. But why is it still such a big deal when a naturla dog wins? because its not expected, they judges have been looking at docked and cropped specimens for so long that is a preference in the show ring. I am noteven sure that they would know the correct tail set for a dobie if they saw it.
Sorry this is turning from a post to a rant.... i am just saying that what an individual want so to do to thier dog whould be thier decision. if th4e law has not said that it is illegal and it is being performed by a liscences professional then i do see a problem with it what-so-ever.

I hope all the people who are against having dog's ears cropped are against women and even some men having their ears pierced. If you ask me most people do both for the same reason, which is cosmetic. I have heard better reasoning for a dog to have their ears cropped than for a person to have theirs pierced.

Eric

Well, this IS an open forum where we can all exchange and share our OPINIONS fairly freely. I am one who DETESTS all forms of 'cropping' purely for aesthetic purposes. I dont feel we have the right to make this particular decision 'for' the dogs, to chop off their body parts for no other reason than we think it looks better that way. But of course humans love to play god don't we?

[quote name='ebkelsey']I hope all the people who are against having dog's ears cropped are against women and even some men having their ears pierced. If you ask me most people do both for the same reason, which is cosmetic. I have heard better reasoning for a dog to have their ears cropped than for a person to have theirs pierced.

Eric[/quote]

Nope, sorry Eric but you are missing the point in regards to the above. If people wish to inflict pain upon themselves and have their body parts pierced, that is THEIR CHOICE.
What CHOICE do we give our dogs? Do we discuss the pros and cons with them? Do we explain to them that in return for some discomfort they will, in OUR opinion, look better, sharper, tougher, etc.? Do we tell them we love them therefore we are going to chop off part of their ears? No, of course we don't. Our dogs have NO SAY in this decision.

As the sayin goes opinions are like a-holes everyone has one and usually all of them are different. Don't take offense to that. Just stating my "opinion". I don't see anything wrong with ear cropping as long as it is done in a safe way unlike some ways i have heard about. Which i think are very very wrong. Im sure I probably don't agree with everything that you think about your dogs, but in my opinion I think that there are better things I can stand up for. So Im leaving this one alone before it turns in to worse :agrue:

Eric

[quote name='ebkelsey']I hope all the people who are against having dog's ears cropped are against women and even some men having their ears pierced. If you ask me most people do both for the same reason, which is cosmetic. I have heard better reasoning for a dog to have their ears cropped than for a person to have theirs pierced.

Eric[/quote]

But when a human pierces their ear [u]they[/u] decide to do it. If a parent forced their kid to pierce their ears that would be wrong I think. I doubt that a dog wants its ears cropped. Actually I doubt they even think about it much... :lol: But anyway cropping a dogs ears, thats a decision us humans make for them, and unlike some things like making them stay on a lead around trafic and stuff like that that they might not enjoy it isn't something that will cause them to have a longer, healthier, better lives. It is, as you said, for cosmetic reasons.

That said I don't have much of an oppinion on cropping/docking since its illegal here and I haven't been confronted with it. :)

Guest Anonymous

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I think that goes without saying, but your opinion is just that your opinion. you cant treat it as thought it is neccesarilly right, or wrong. just what you think. Many people that show dogs dock /crop. people that are interested in their dog having the desire look of the breed that was defined in the standard dock/ crop. people that just want thier dogs to look a certain dock / crop. it has been done for a very long time and its not like its some experimental procedure, the vets have it down to a science, the fastest possible healing process, the timing of the crop/ dock to minimize pain and discomfort for the animal. There are a host of creams out there for the itch but to be hinest that not even neccesary. Speaking as a guy that has cropped (should I say, has had dogs cropped by vet) and had to handle the after care for a few dogs, the dogs dont really mind I think dealing with the rack or the lamp shade is a bigger nuisance to them then the actual procedure. I mean thats okay to have that opinion I know quite a few people that agree with you, but i know just as many if not more that do not.

Are we also against breed specific hair cuts and such? I mean do we ask poodles if they want thier fur cut like that? I know people that get thier dogs tattoed and microchipped, I dont think that they ask the dogs permission for those things either. I am not trying to compare the two just pointing out that there are a lot of things that people can do with thier pets. From a legal standpoint your dog is property, you are solely responsible for what you let your dog do (BSL for some reason doesnt get this), you are responsible for your dogs health, needs, hygene, and well being. I crop my dogs, I think that some dogs look great with cropped ears, but i also think that some look really good natural. Natural ears have their share of problems, moisture trapped in the air leads to ear infections ( i have a rottie that has some of the worst ears imaginable) the cropped dogs have a constant air flow so the ears are a lot less likely to suffer those problems. I know that those ear problems are a lot more discomforting than the crop, the crop is 10-14 days of discomfort and then its done, ear infections can follow a dog its entire life. I think that the trade off in that situation is okay. Other people crop purely because they like the look. Thats fine and dandy, its your dog if you want to crop it, as long as you go to a professoinal and have it done.. more power to you.

I mean i understand not wanting to crop your own, but if someone else want its done, i provide them the best guidelines i can, suggest a vet if possible and make sure that they get it done right.