Dogomania

Jindo

Duke_3

I was browsing a rescue site( i always do :roll: ) and i found a particuall breed ive never heard anythign about but absolutly love! I know nothing about them so far but wow ! Its called a Jindo. They range (as ive seen) from tan/beige/white and are (as ive seen) pure in one color..
Hers an example of one..
they look almost like a tan akita but less fur on the chest and a bit bigger..

[url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2520578&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4053e8cd0a2d0be9-app4&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=[/url]

also..

white ones..

[url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2646208&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4053e8cd0a2d0be9-app4&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=[/url]

AND

[url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2213648&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4053e8cd0a2d0be9-app4&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=[/url]

Please if you know about this dog, or if its actully a real breed, any info would be amazing, please, please help I will be doing some reserch but wow these ar beautiful![/url]

Here i fond this link
[url]http://www.rarebreed.com/breeds/jindo/jindo.html[/url]

still if anyone owns/knows any of these dogs or anyhting at all i REALLY would like to know
Not wanting to get one at the moment, but very very very wow dogs..

If you look at the UKC standard on that^^^ page it has good info..if your interested..

Guest Anonymous

its a korean dog breed. i know a couple of people who have them. their basic temperament is loyal. I heard they dont run away if you're a good owner. i think theyre pretty smart and fairly active. theyre definitely an outside dog.

the following things come to mind about the jindo:
- high prey drive and hunting instinct, so not ideal if you have other animals or live in an area with a lot of wildlife (think dog chases squirrel and gets hit by car).
- due to the above, you need a [b]very[/b] secure yard and be diligent on obedience training, otherwise you'll never be able to give this kind of dog a chance to run off leash.
- it's a highly independent and dominant breed. continuous socialization and training is a [b]must[/b] and they are not always ideal additions for a multi-dog household.

here in the L.A. area, they are fairly common, and a lot of them end up in the shelters , probably because their owners aren't prepared to deal with such a demanding breed.

here are some more links for you
[url]http://jindo.org/ownership.htm[/url]
[url]http://members2.boardhost.com/JindoRescue/[/url]
[url]http://home.att.net/~semencic/second.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.jindoproject.org/[/url]
[url]http://www.ckcusa.com/j_breeds/m_jindo.html[/url]

[quote name='TDG']the following things come to mind about the jindo:
- high prey drive and hunting instinct, so not ideal if you have other animals or live in an area with a lot of wildlife (think dog chases squirrel and gets hit by car).
- due to the above, you need a [b]very[/b] secure yard and be diligent on obedience training, otherwise you'll never be able to give this kind of dog a chance to run off leash.
- it's a highly independent and dominant breed. continuous socialization and training is a [b]must[/b] and they are not always ideal additions for a multi-dog household.

here in the L.A. area, they are fairly common, and a lot of them end up in the shelters , probably because their owners aren't prepared to deal with such a demanding breed. [/quote]

Nothing I would argue here. I've heard numerous times they can be [i]one[/i] of the hardest breeds to own because of their natural dominant and extremely independent nature amoung many other things. They are beautiful dogs though.

i'm on the west side. marina del rey/culver city/venice area.

i too like the jindos, but they aren't a breed that would suit my lifestyle. i like to take my dog on road trips, camping, hiking etc. and wouldn't want to have to worry about prey drive/aggression/being territorial, especially in unfamiliar areas.

[quote name='TDG']i'm on the west side. marina del rey/culver city/venice area.

i too like the jindos, but they aren't a breed that would suit my lifestyle. i like to take my dog on road trips, camping, hiking etc. and wouldn't want to have to worry about prey drive/aggression/being territorial, especially in unfamiliar areas.[/quote]
Cool. I used to live in the Beverlywood area (Pico and Robertson.) TDG, can you recommend a good vet in your area? I currently go to Kenneth Jones, located on the corner of Olympic and 17th Street. My main problem is that there are so many vets there it seems as though I am never seeing the same person. Also, I wanted to try to find a vet that has knowledge in holistic healing. I an not unhappy with my vet, but I wouldnt mind checking out some alternatives. Thanks for any suggestions!
-Jeff

Guest Anonymous

i've been a loyal client of the brentwood pet clinic ([url]www.brentwoodpetclinic.com[/url], but the site is currently down) for the past 4 years. (11718 west olympic blvd)

they have a total of 5 vets on staff, each of them does general practice but also specializes in a particular field. dr. olds for example is an excellent orthopedic surgeon and was able to save my cat's leg from being amputated after an accident against all odds. the vet at the emergency clinic i took her to wanted to amputate immediately, but i decided to just let them stabilize her and make her comfortable until i coud bring her to see him the next day. it was a long process and took 2 surgeries, but in the end it all worked out.

a friend of mine highly recommends the "dog and cat hospital" in santa monica (2010 broadway). i'd go there if i couldn't get to my regular vet for some reason.

neither of these are holistic vets tho. i've been poking around on that topic myself a little, because i prefer the holistic approach. i just recently discovered that jean dodds has her office in santa monica (938 stanford street). she is absolutely top-notch (look for her publications), but i don't know how hard it would be to get an appointment or if she even acepts routine patients.

i saw a banner for a holistic vet clinic that opened recently, i think on la cienega west of pico somewhere, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

[quote name='Anonymous']i've been a loyal client of the brentwood pet clinic ([url]www.brentwoodpetclinic.com[/url], but the site is currently down) for the past 4 years. (11718 west olympic blvd)

they have a total of 5 vets on staff, each of them does general practice but also specializes in a particular field. dr. olds for example is an excellent orthopedic surgeon and was able to save my cat's leg from being amputated after an accident against all odds. the vet at the emergency clinic i took her to wanted to amputate immediately, but i decided to just let them stabilize her and make her comfortable until i coud bring her to see him the next day. it was a long process and took 2 surgeries, but in the end it all worked out.

a friend of mine highly recommends the "dog and cat hospital" in santa monica (2010 broadway). i'd go there if i couldn't get to my regular vet for some reason.

neither of these are holistic vets tho. i've been poking around on that topic myself a little, because i prefer the holistic approach. i just recently discovered that jean dodds has her office in santa monica (938 stanford street). she is absolutely top-notch (look for her publications), but i don't know how hard it would be to get an appointment or if she even acepts routine patients.

i saw a banner for a holistic vet clinic that opened recently, i think on la cienega west of pico somewhere, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.[/quote]
Thanks for the info TDG. Do you happen to remember the name of the holistic vet clinic on La Cienega. Was it maybe Century Veterinary Group? There is a vet on La Cienega (around Venice) named Dr. Jeff Werber and I have heard lots of great things about him. Thanks again for the info.
-Jeff

nope, i don't think it was century veterinary group. i know that building because i drive by there a lot. lol

what i saw was a white building that had a purple and yellow (i think) banner outside saying something along the lines of holistic veterinary care coming soon. maybe i am mistaken and it wasn't on la cienega tho...