Dogomania

Pit Bull

ebkelsey

I have a APBT and was wondering at what age could I start weight training. I also would like to know what is the best way to start him out pulling. Im tryin to get advice because me and my dog would be be newbies to this. Thanks for any info you can give.[/b]

Guest Anonymous

you should wait until your dog is close to a year old. You want the body to be ready, less chance of injuries. also your dog is going to grow so much between the first year of its life that it would be silly to size them for a harness until then, unless you just like to spend money. you want to start the dog pulling a milk acrton with some bottle caps in it. that gets it used to pulling something behind it as well as desensatizes them to the sound of something behind them. start really light when you do begin actual weight. just remember to go slow you dont want to strain your dog, or break its spirit, so no matter how much weight you add always make sure that your dog can pull it, even if the means you grabbing the line and pulling to. never let your dog not pull a load.

Let me see if i can find you some good links to training sites for weightpull...

This is among the best, if not the best weight pull articles on the net, covers everything from pre pulling vet checks to training schedules: [url]http://apbtconformation.com/weight_pulling.htm[/url]

I agree with not starting any actual pulling until the pup's joints are closed, at least a year, more if he's maturing slowly. That doesn't mean he can't get used to a harness and having noise dragging behind him. You can use pebbles in a soda bottle for this after he's used to the harness.

You can also look into obedience, agility, and if he matures to be not to dog aggressive, flyball (the dogs are all on the floor together for this, so you don't want to use a dog aggressive dog for it), all things APBTs do well at. If you're looking for something a little more low key and methodical, some APBTs do well at tracking (then there are various branches of that, SAR work could be an option, or just recreational tracking, depending on what you wanted to put in and get out). APBTs are also good dogs for hiking/jogging with if you like to do that, and many can be trained to run beside a bike (on leash of course). They're a versatile breed, and just about anything you want them to do, they'll try, so you have plenty of options :lol:

Guest Anonymous

per my favorite saying: any activity that you can do with a dog a pit bull my compete, they may not be the top of the class at all of them, but they will try so hard that you will still want to give them the gold.
just be patient for your dog to be ready physically... sometimes that mean you have to stop them, because they have so much heart they will want to do it for you. Just try to keep your dogs safety and well being in mind before you start any activity.

[quote name='ebkelsey']What are some activities pits are good at
.[/quote]
Sleeping, cuddling, eating, and finding the most the most cushioned place in the house to park their butts. Welcome to the forum, we would love to see pics of your pittie. Good advice has been given so far, I cant over emphasize how important it is to let your dog mature, before exercising strenuously.

[quote name='drjeffrock'][quote name='ebkelsey']What are some activities pits are good at
.[/quote]
Sleeping, cuddling, eating, and finding the most the most cushioned place in the house to park their butts.[/quote]

You forgot....

Farting, stealing blankets in the middle of the night, chewing and crushing your lap.

Thanks for the welcome and all the good advice. I know that is it best to wait until the dog matures to do any strenuous activities. I look at it like him being a person. A child isn't allowed to lift weights or anything like that until they are well developed so i wasn't going to risk hurting him, just wanted to get some more insight on things to do with him. I will try to get a few pics on here soon.

Thanks again