Dogomania

Questions about a Blue Miniature Pinscher??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

(Okay..I had to come back to the begining..to apologize for just writing a book here..lol..sorry everyone!)

Does anyone here own a blue Miniature Pinscher,or have any information about them? My sister really wants to get a blue Min Pin..but we have read some stories about them having skin problems..(but we didn't find too much in detail about it)We have contacted some breeders who breed the blues,and we asked them about the stories that we have read about them having skin problems..they have all told us that their blue Min Pins do not have any skin problems and that they are very careful in their selection of the blues that they breed.(??)They did say that there are some blue Min pins that do have the skin problems,and that these come from breeders who are not careful in breeding the blues.(???)We have also learned that AKC does not allow the blue Miniature Pinscher to be shown..this is not a problem for her because she wants one for a pet only.I have tried to talk her into getting a different color Min pin..one that wont have these problems,but she has her heart set on a blue one (but I know she will change her mind if we find out that they all have health or skin problems..if it's a real big problem) I just dont want to steer her away from her "dream dog" if I don't have to...and I also don't want her to end up with a dog that has a lot of health issues.

I'm sorry it's taking me so long to get to the point..(I always seem to have a problem with that..lol) But,okay..if anyone can help me.. I guess my actual questions would be:
1. What are these skin problems that they have?

2. Does it affect the life of the dog in anyway..or should I say the dogs life?

3.What ever these skin problems are..is it possible that it could get worse,and end up causing a lot of medical treatment later on in life?

4.Is it contagious at all,to other dogs?

5. If it is true..that some blues don't have these problems,what is the best way to make sure that we find one that don't have these issues?

6. If they don't all have these problems,then why wont AKC let them in the show ring? (*this question doesn't really matter..I'm just very curious about this part.)

I would really appreciate anyone who can help us..with any information that you can give us!
Thank you so much for your time!! :wallbash:

Guest Anonymous

I can give you some information on "dobermans" which are in no way related to Min Pin's but get their color genetics the same way.
The Blue(actually comes in several different shades of grey) and Fawn(isabella) color's are a recessive gene. [b]This condition is called Color Dilution Alopecia[/b].
It is a gentic problem, [u]not contagious (unless you breed to an affected(not INfected) dog). [/u]It occur's in several type dogs, not just Doberman's and min pins. It also occur's in Irish setter's(fawn), Bernese mountain dog, chihuahua's(blue), chow's{blue), dachshund's(fawn), Great Dane's(blue), saluki's, schipperke's(blue), Shetland sheepdog's(blue), standard poodle's(blue), whippet's(blue), and Yorkshire terrier's(blue/tan).

[url]http://www.seattle-attorney.com/storm/sup.html[/url]
Please pay special attention this statement:
[b]Because CDA is thought to have a genetic link, blues and fawns should not be bred until they reach three years old or so, and still have a good coat.[/b] (if you buy from a breeder make sure you check the stock they have for any thinness of coat (this means parents and some of their siblings if avaliable...don't be afraid to ask for references of previous pups as far back as 4 years also). And also make sure the bitch of the puppies you are looking at is atleast 3 years old (common age when the dogs start to have problems).

Here a few other good links:
[url]http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatology/colour%20dilution%20alopecia.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.seattle-attorney.com/storm/[/url]

I don't suggest any color dilutions, because of the skin problems. They are expensive to treat should they crop up...doesn't normally "hurt" the dog...but it's gotta be aggravating (to dog and owner) to have to deal with all that stuff that goes with treating it.

• 3 weeks later...

That's the first thing that I thought of.

This genetic disorder also affects Italian Greyhounds, my little girl has it pretty bad, she is a blue-fawn. CDA is somehow connected with the gene that produces the blue, as none of the the white on my girl is affected, just the blue-fawn.

This genetic defect in not curable or very effectively treatable, basically all you can do is make sure that the skin and hair that is affected stays soft so that the hairs do not break off before they can grow.

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']I can give you some information on "dobermans" which are in no way related to Min Pin's but get their color genetics the same way.
The Blue(actually comes in several different shades of grey) and Fawn(isabella) color's are a recessive gene. [b]This condition is called Color Dilution Alopecia[/b].
It is a gentic problem, [u]not contagious (unless you breed to an affected(not INfected) dog). [/u]It occur's in several type dogs, not just Doberman's and min pins. It also occur's in Irish setter's(fawn), Bernese mountain dog, chihuahua's(blue), chow's{blue), dachshund's(fawn), Great Dane's(blue), saluki's, schipperke's(blue), Shetland sheepdog's(blue), standard poodle's(blue), whippet's(blue), and Yorkshire terrier's(blue/tan).

[url]http://www.seattle-attorney.com/storm/sup.html[/url]
Please pay special attention this statement:
[b]Because CDA is thought to have a genetic link, blues and fawns should not be bred until they reach three years old or so, and still have a good coat.[/b] (if you buy from a breeder make sure you check the stock they have for any thinness of coat (this means parents and some of their siblings if avaliable...don't be afraid to ask for references of previous pups as far back as 4 years also). And also make sure the bitch of the puppies you are looking at is atleast 3 years old (common age when the dogs start to have problems).

Here a few other good links:
[url]http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatology/colour%20dilution%20alopecia.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.seattle-attorney.com/storm/[/url]

I don't suggest any color dilutions, because of the skin problems. They are expensive to treat should they crop up...doesn't normally "hurt" the dog...but it's gotta be aggravating (to dog and owner) to have to deal with all that stuff that goes with treating it.[/quote]

:angel: