Dogomania

Gooey Eyes

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've noticed for a while now Coal has had gooey eyes. It's not REALLY bad, and I know a lot of dogs who are just like that, but Coal isn't one of them. He's always had really good clear eyes and now he's got tear streaks, like that gooey stuff, it's gross and I'm really getting sick of cleaning them... you think sometnhing's wrong? My mom suggested putting tea bags on his eyes but I'm not quite sure how he's going to like that... :-?

Guest Anonymous

Until you get to a vet try the tea bags or if you can boil some callendula, strain through a coffee filter and apply as drops to his eyes a couple times a day. (Not good if dog allergic to callendula/marigolds.) This worked well for some eye goo Kavik had, cleared up in three days but your pup may have another issue so going to the vet would be helpful.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your replies. I will try the tea bags until I can get him into a vet... it's really tricky to get him into one for something like this, my parents tend to think I over worry about him :roll: And will think this is something small to not worry about...
I don't even know what callendula is :o :oops:

Sorry apparently Dogo logged me out before the calendula post was me. Calendula is marigolds usually mostly the flowers, they are dried and you can get them at some health food places otherwise you might find them at a place dealing in dried herbs and teas. However, since I now recall that you live outside a tiny town your probably out of luck there. Tea bags should work fine till you can get to a vet. Use them warm and just hold them there for a bit, do it over tile or linoleum or something - when I did it it was a bit drippy.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks DP, I figured it was you since your the only one I know of who has a dog named Kavik :wink: Ugh! *slaps forehead* My parents JUST left to go visit some people in vanderhoof and i know Vanderhoof has a health food store there! I could have asked my mom to see if she could find some!
Oh well, will have to use the tea bags I guess... I used it on my mouse when he had an eye infection a long time ago and it cleared it right up, as well as my kitty who had one when I got her :(

It is just in the morning or does it happen throughout the day?

If it's just when he wakes up in the morning then I wouldn't worry about it too much, however if it still keeps happening during the day after you have already cleaned them once then it's best to find out what's causing it.

Teaspoon of salt in a pint of lukewarm water and keep it at room temp, then dip a tissue in and wash hs eyes from tear duct to tip of upper eyelid over the day when needed. If that doesn't clear it, or his eyes are really red or bothering him, then get something like optimune eye ointment :wink: