Dogomania

Thinking of trying new diet with my dogs..opinon's please

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I fed my last dog BARF, and let me tell you it can be a hassel to keep up with. As long as your willing to keep up with it and do all the necisary research then by all means! I think it's the way to go for any dog owner who's willing to!

I have this GREAT book that i ordered off of [url]www.sitstay.com[/url], but for the life of me I can't remember who it's by :oops: It's a really weird name I know, and the book's called "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" If anyone know's who it's by that would be great! If I can find it I'll let you know...

Word of causion though... I don't know about young puppies, but I know a lot of old dogs are adviced not to be switched onto the diet because it can sometimes be too hard on their bodies... I can't remember how old your oldest dog is, but that's just a warning.
Secondly, some advice to not switch the dog cold turky onto the diet, and others say it's not a problem. I switched Hazel cold Turky and I had no problems, the only things i experienced was her health DRAMATCILY improved! :D
Some dogs can't handle the BARF diet, and there are deffently a lot to think about.
I've been lacking in my BARF knowledge for a while now since it's been a while since i was feeding my dog it... but i KNOW for sure one member at least feeds thier dog it and that would be Aroura, but I think at the mo' she's a bit hard to track down isn't she?

you really have tomake up your own opinion about commercial food vs. home cooked or raw. i do agree very much that "hardcore BARFers" are almost like a cult, which completely puts me off as well.

however, with all the food research i have done, i have come to the conclusion that feeding commercial food [b]only[/b] (and maybe adding a lot of expensive supplements) isn't something i am comfortable with. i want my dog to get fresh, live foods with natural nutrients that just don't survive the commercial manufacturing process.

i'm not a "harcore" this-or-that, but i approach feeding my dog with an open mind and a lot of common sense [b]without[/b] following any of the "cultist bibles". he gets fresh, raw or cooked foods as well as some high quality kibble.

i also don't feel comfortable feeding chicken bones, but i do give pork neck bones, beef ribs and other softer beef bones, lamb shanks and turkey necks - all of them raw, because cooked bones are not safe. other things i regularly include in my dog's diet are plain, cultured yogurt; fresh, raw whole eggs; oatmeal and brown rice; all kinds of fresh, mashed vegetables, mostly raw but sometimes also steamed (green beans, squash, parsley, carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, bell pepper, pumpkin, various green leafy vegetables etc.); and all kinds of different fruits (banana, apple, cantaloupe, pineapple, berries etc., but [b]never[/b] grapes or raisins, since they contain a toxin that accumulates in the kidneys and eventually leads to kidney failure).

i also feed muscle and organ meats (beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork - ground or cut in chunks), but whenever fed without bone, they need to be balanced with a calcium supplement to bind excess phosphorus. bonemeal works well, or ground egg shells.

if you ask 100 people what the right way to feed a dog is, you will get 100 different answers. you need to do your own research and come up with a feeding routine that works for your individual dogs. read as many books and articles on the topic as you possibly can and don't believe either extremist side, be it manufacturers of commercial foods telling you that feeding anything but their product is going to kill your dog, nor BARF cultists telling you that feeding anything but raw is going to kill your dog, especially if you include grains in the diet.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='TDG'][b]if you ask 100 people what the right way to feed a dog is, you will get 100 different answers[/b]. you need to do your own research and come up with a feeding routine that works for your individual dogs. read as many books and articles on the topic as you possibly can and don't believe either extremist side, be it manufacturers of commercial foods telling you that feeding anything but their product is going to kill your dog, nor BARF cultists telling you that feeding anything but raw is going to kill your dog, especially if you include grains in the diet.[/quote]

I agree with this statement completely.
Do your own research, find out what's BAD for dogs, like really bad stuff, and what's good, find out what makes a dog's diet balanced, and do as much research as possible!
I fed Hazel NO grains, and NO startches, she didn't even get treats, I cut up apples and cheese and nuts and stuff like that for her treats for training. She was on a VERY strict diet, yet my current puppy eats Kibble, as well as some leftovers and an egg once in a while. I decided not to go the BARF ruit with him, unless I really feel I should. My last dog was on it for reasons.
ALTHOUGH, I've heard of these "BARF CULTS" but never seen one :lol: I think it's rediculous

Guest Anonymous

SRC, some dogs are more tolerant than others. i've heard from people who grow grapes and dogs got into them without any trouble afterward, others went into complications shortly after eating just a few.

here's an [url=http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=grapes]article[/url] on the topic. if your dog is okay, i wouldn't worry. i used to feed grapes occasionally and none of my dogs had problems, but i stopped giving them when i read about the complications that [i]are[/i] possible. kidney failure is one of the leading causes of pet dogs, so why add additional stress if you can avoid it. :)

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']ch.

Should I have her tested for anything??!!??! :( I hope I didn't hurt her!

I FEEL AWFUL NOW! :( :( :([/quote]

Don't feel too aweful. In the "olden days" I fed my dog all kinds of stuff(inlcuding grapes.) that is now considered "bad for dogs". She lived to be 12yo which isn't too bad for a GSD. (Heck, this dog ate a fair amount of candy (but not chocolate) every week too.)

As far as the olive oil. Have you considered giving Salmon Oil instead? I give mine Salmon oil and they LOVE it. It is also fairly cheap. I have been buying it at Wal Mart. It is $6 (and some change) for 120 gelcaps. But I am going to start ordering it from [url]www.puritan.com[/url]

They have it on sale right now, 3 bottles of 120 gelcaps each for $14.70(total). My GSDs get 2 or 3 gelcaps each a day. My 40lb Heelers get 1 a day each. (Not that I am saying that Olive Oil is bad or anything, just giving you an alternative. :D )

Oh, and your welcome for the link. :D

above post was me, i thought i was logged in. :oops:

i agree with black GSD, fish oil is an excellent addition. and just by the way, olive oil and fish oil supply completely different nutrients, so they aren't really interchangeable. olive oil/safflower oil/sunflower oil etc. are great if you need to add omega 6 fatty acids, fish oil and flax oil supply omega 3 fatty acids.

Guest Anonymous

i feed my dogs commerical dog food. I forone don't eat meat so wont touch it, and with hubby gone all the time.. i like the commercial dog food that they are on. i feed them pedigree and they love it and it hink they llok great, they both have great coats. but i do put some olive oil in their food once a week.

I've just had a few very informative threads on my forum about this topic you might want to check them out. There is even a dog list or group set up on the internet specifically about this that they left a link to with tons and tons of information. Kibble was discussed on my forum and I believe at this list... most of the information is in my Health and Nutrition forum. There are more than just these three that you might find helpful. Many of my members feed raw so if you have any questions it would be a good place to ask as well :wink:

[url]http://dogden.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=Health&action=display&num=1074988013[/url]

[url]http://dogden.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=Health&action=display&num=1076023235[/url]

[url]http://dogden.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=Health&action=display&num=1077989149[/url]