Dogomania

Chinese Cresteds?

Crested

I thought I'd ask how many have Cresteds here? Many know that I have two hairless Cresties myself. I asked about this quite a while ago, but I thought I'd ask again now. I mean... surely there has come more members since I first asked, so...
What kind of personalities do they have?
Ben is a pretty frightend boy and afraid of pretty much everything. After his neutering, he has allso calmed down a lot and enjoys sitting on the sofa nowadays.
Bella is a complete opposite of Ben. She's... A Diva! That's the only word that can describe her. She loves to be the centre of attention.

Guest Anonymous

I just have to answer on this, eventhough you already know that I have two Cresteds as well... :D

Esa is about 10-month-old hairless male. He loves all dogs and would like to play with every dog he sees. Unfortunately he is a bit afraid of strange people (not kids though). He loves food and eats everything I offer (olives, tomatoes, oranges, you name it). I just love him!

Tero is my little baby, a three-month-old hairless babyboy. He loves everybody and his favourite activity is licking people's faces. Tero thinks that other strange dogs are a bit frightening and I hope he will someday get used to them. He's also a bit picky and he doesn't eat as much as Esa.

Maybe people who own some other hairless dogs (peruvian, mexican, AHT) could also answer this?

[quote name='SexxieRacerChik']Dogs are just like people, they all have seperate personalities. Maybe your Ben just isn't a people person. Or maybe he has some type of social anxiety. You could ask your vet and see if there is medication that might help him..just like we have medicine to help us with anxiety regarding other people.

Good Luck.[/quote]

I think it's totally unneccecary to put him on any kind of medication for that. He's just frighetend of other people and it might be genetic. I've heard that his sister has the same problem and I've heard rumours that his mother was even worse then that (not sure though... you know rumours).
He's good just the way he is. He just needs more time to get used to new people. And it depends on the person he meets how fast he will be ok with it. Last sumemer he saw my cousins for the first time (2 adults and 4 kids) and he was ok with them immediately! But again with some people he's really frightend...

Ben has separation anxiety problems, but luckilly it hasn't gone that far that I've had to do anything about it. First he whines and howls for a couple minutes (I've tested this) and when he notices that we don't come running to him, he calms down and goes to sleep on the bed.
The problem is that there is always someone home, so both Ben and Bella are very rarely alone.
Ben hasn't ever done any destructive work when we've been away (wich at most has been 2-3 hours). The only thing is that when he panicks he poops. So that there willl be a nice smelly "alien" on the floor when we come back, but that's about it.
We've even asked the neighbourgs if they have heard Ben screaming when we've been away, but there's been nothing like that.

It can be that he sences that some people are too strong and it mostly is when that somebody has a dog of his/her own. I guess he smells the other dog on this person and that makes him nervous. He's never been calm around other dogs. It's taken him a long while to get used to Bella even. When we got Bella, he couldn't be on the back seat with her. He screamed from the top of his lungs petrified all the time untill mom took him to the front seat. (dad drove, mom was next to him, I was on the back seat and Bella had his seatbelt on, so he couldn't go and disturb dad's driving either)
And it took a LONG while before I could sit down on the couch with both of them with me.

I know that I did one thing wrong when he was a little pup, I didn't sozialize him enough. I knew it was important, but I didn't know HOW important it was. But they say that you do the worst mistakes with your first ever dog. But he has been that way since he was a pup. From the first day he came to us, he was scared to death of the piano sound. But slowly he got used to it. He still jumps up and runs away if somebody sneezes etc. I've not been able to remove that problem.
And I can't undo what's been done. And I can't say what he saw or experienced before I got him either. So it's an impossible mission to get him to act like Bella.
If Ben gets to try and get to know someone at his own pace and taking as much time as he wants, then he will be ok. It's the beginning that is the tough thing.

But there's no way I'm putting Ben on any kind of medication for that. If it would be that he'd bite if he was afraid. Or if he'd relief himself when he gets scared. Or if he would get so petrified he couldn't move. That would be a totally diffirent thing.

• 3 years later...

I am new here and I have three Chinese Cresteds. My oldest is a puff named Brady. I co-own him with my niece. He is basically her pet but we both show him (well, not right now, his coat needs to grow back in. Long story!). He is just over a year. He is timid but loves people!!! It takes him a while to get used to other dogs and is very shy around them. Once he gets used tothem,though, he is all over them!

Then there is Trinity. She is almost 7 months old. She is a hairless. I just started to show her a couple of weeks ago. No major wins yet. She is just getting used to the whole show atmosphere. She is just a diva in the works! She loves people! She is a little shy around new dogs but, doesn't take long to warm up to them.

Last, but certainly not least, is Copper. He is 5 months old. He is also hairless. He is also pretty timid. (He has the same mother as Brady). When meeting dogs his own size he is ok, unless there is a handful of them, then he gets pretty shy. Big dogs, he barks like crazy at. He will chase them away if they are moving away from him. If they come at him he will continue to bark, but move backwards while doing so. If they corner him, though, he will go after them.

I couldn't be more in love with this breed!