Dogomania

Triumph dog food

gooeydog

I've been feeding the dogs (at least Annie and Goo, my mom feeds the other 3) Natural Balance dry food and Nutro Canned food ( 1 - 1 1/2 cup and a bit less than 1/2 can for Goo; 1/2-2/3 cup and a large spoonful of canned for Annie; every night, though sometimes we do a bit more of teh canned), would be feeding the Natural Balance canned food as well, but the store doesn't always have it in stock, so we stick with what I can get that works for now. My mom just found out that the vet clinic she works at orders Triumph food for clients and employees, and they'll just order as we need it, so less having to worry about it not being in stock, etc. I checked out the foods, and the dry food doesn't seem to be very good (definitely not as good as what they're getting now), but the canned food seems to be okay, and about on par with the Nutro. I'm thinking about going ahead and switching, but just want to make sure I'm not missing some bad point of the food, and was hoping to hear some opinions on it.

Here's the page for the food: [url]http://www.triumphpet.com/triumphcan.html[/url]

They also have another line that seems to have better ingredients, Evolve. I'm going to see if the clinic orders that as well, and may go with that instead if it's not too outrageously priced.
[url]http://www.evolvepet.com/lambf.html[/url]

Even the Evolve dry food looks pretty good to me, but I think a bit too high in protein and fat for Goo, who does well on the Natural Balance (23% protein, 13% fat).
[url]http://www.evolvepet.com/adultm.html[/url]

I think I'm more confised now than I was when I started this post :lol:

The thing that "jumped right out at me" with the regular adult formulas is the "ONION SALT"(In the "common ingredient" section). WTF??? Onion is NOT good for dogs. And it pretty high up on the list. And supposedly it can build up in their system over time. I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dogs.

The light/senior and puppy doesn't appear to have Onion salt in it. But Rather Iodized Salt.

You're right. The Evolve does sound better.

[quote]The thing that "jumped right out at me" with the regular adult formulas is the "ONION SALT"(In the "common ingredient" section). WTF??? Onion is NOT good for dogs. And it pretty high up on the list. And supposedly it can build up in their system over time. I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dogs[/quote]
You're right, I didn't notice that on the site. :oops:

Looking at the actual can though (we got one just to see if the dogs even liked it), it lists:
Lamb, Lamb liver, water sufficient for processing, brown rice, carrots, guar gum, salt, carrageenan, potassium chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, calcium carbonate, natural flavor, iron oxide, Vitamins (it lists those as well)

This is the lamb, rice 'n vegetable formula, so maybe it's different from the others?

Also, on another site, I read that salt wasn't a good thing in food, both this stuff (the Triumph and the Evolve) and the Natural Balance has salt in it, so is that a bad thing?

I think I'm just going to see if I can get the Evolve instead, they don't get much of the canned food, so even if it costs a bit more (Nutro is 1.05 anyway), I should be able to manage.

Thanks again :lol:

evolve is definitely the better of the two.

salt isn't necessarily a bad ingredient, it just depends on the amount. try to gauge by the other ingredients on the list whether it is a lot or just a small amount further down the list with other minerals.

another excellent brand (if you can find it) are neura canned meats. they are 95% meats without byproducts etc. and are made by the same company that makes wellness foods. since they are so high in meat, you can add in your own veggies, potatoes etc. and it's overall less expensive than buying the other canned foods that contain more grains.

The Petco I get their dry food at (only store nearby that sells any decent brands at all) has Neura, and I did use it for a short while after they stopped keeping a steady stock of the NB canned food. It is [b]smelly[/b] though :o . That is a good idea about adding in other things, and I may try that at some point for a bit of a change.

[quote name='TDG']salt isn't necessarily a bad ingredient, it just depends on the amount.[/quote]

RIGHT. Everyone NEEDS salt. People, dogs, cats, horses, ect...
But too much is NOT good and can cause problems. It does seem to me that salt IS awefull high up on the ingredient list though.