Dogomania

I need your help/advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Today Zoey was laying on the ground and JW was playing with her, feeding her Kix and some cookies she was happy and licking him like crazy both having a good them. Then JW lossed his balance ( he's got anasty ear infection ) and fell on her, well Zoey bit him in the face i imediatly told her NO and put her in her kennel, She didn't break the skin but bit hard enough to were he still has a red dot under his eye and above his lip. I told him that she bit once, she'll do it again and i dont want her anywhere near the house, that he needed to find a new home for her. And he's upset and pissed off at me becuase it's his dog and he doesn't t hink he should get rid of her. but how can i trust her around JW ? He does play fough with cody somes times ( he will walk up and try to sit on him, but cody just gets up and walks away ) i'm so upset i dont know what to do. If i keep her, how do i know she' won't do it again, if i get her a new home, i'll habe to deal with a pissy and very moody DH..
any ideas??

:drinking: :drinking: :cry: :cry:

I wouldn't gte rid of my dog for something like that... I think most dogs would get scared if something (people or object) suddenly fell over them. Also it is instinctual for dogs to "attack" (some will bark, some will pull on your clothes) if you've suddenly fallen down--I'm not sure about that, but I believe it has to do with the pack rules: if alpha is suddenly hurt, they need to assume control...
Why I wouldn't get rid of Zoey is because I think she just bit out of fear--if she was really aggressive, she could have done a lot more damage to your husband's face... And the fact that she plays taough with Cody doesn't mean anything.. many dogs do, it's just doggie behaviour.

I would not rehome your dog. If she had really wanted to hurt JW, she would have bit a lot harder. It sounds like she was just startled and it was a reaction. It could happen with any dog, especially a young one. It doesn't sound like Zoey is aggressive to me.

I don't think that she is more likely to bite again. She may have learned that that isn't acceptable and is now less likely to bite again. Again, I really don't think she bit him on purpose, it was probably just a really quick reaction to a startling event.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys.. Pei-- it wadn't my husband it was the little guy i'm watching..

I posted this on my aussie board i go to and they said just keep them seperated and that Zoey has great bite inhibition, becuase she could have done alot worse. SO i'm going to just keep the dogs seperated any time that JW is up and playing they will be locked in the kitchen and can come and play with me when makenna is in school and JW is Snoozin..
Thanks again@

I agree with the others DAL,,,and it's funny I'm reading this now because I
just tripped over Freebee, and she snapped at me...didnt connect, but I didnt land on top of her either. She backed off instantly, and then Laurel snapped at her, so I had a "dog fuss" to break through. It was just an instinctual reaction, and Laurel was defending her Alpha...I know Freebee
would never bite me...I think she just reacted to pain...