Dogomania

Information on the Ori pei

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the encouragment GOd. i am still pursuing an ori pei and looking in shelters for them. people seem not to like this conversation, but tough I have learned alot from this forum. I am glad you like your ori pei, and i bet it brings you joy. there is a pug shar pei mix at a shelter not to far from me, but they won't let me adopt because i don't live in the immediate area and they can't come to the house to inspect the living arrangemets. it is very frustrating because we have a WONDERFUL fencend in yard for this dog, but i can't come to look at it. isn't the purpose of a shelter to help adopt out the dogs? i dont get it.

thanks for all of your time.

Pedigree snobs :roll:

Don't judge people you don't know please,none of these people have been rude to those of us who love mutts and I wouldn't dream of insulting them just for having an opinion.

I have 2 English Springers,one from a breeder and one from rescue I dont want to show them or do obedience with them so their lines aren't so important to me.

I can think of one person on here whose dream it is to get healthy pedigree dogs (I won't say which breed as this would give away her identity) with excellent show lines so that she can live out her dream of showing them,she will love and care for them as her pets though,this doesn't make her a bad person though does it ?
I don't think so.

I agree however that rescue a wonderful thing to do and the satisfaction of giving a homeless dog a home is a great feeling and would encourage anyone to go for it.

[quote]Even the Amish have over produced breeds just to make a buck. They could care less about what happens to the dogs once they're sold. Cha-ching[/quote]

It's wrong no matter who is doing it. Just because someone is Amish doesn't exempt them from the ability to be unethical. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

:Help_2: Does anyone have any pictures of Ori Peis? I am doing a school project and need a pictures of some. Please post the pictures you have. THANKS!![color=green][/color][color=indigo][/color]

Guest Anonymous

I have decided to adopt a bulldog/eskimo/ shar pei mix from a rescue. I am going to see her tomorrow night, hopefully it will work out! Wish me luck all! Thanks again for all your help to the people who have responded to me on this site!

cleo. :angel:

Guest Anonymous

I went and met Tulip last night and she is now with us in her new home! She is beautiful and the sweetest thing. Now my question is - food. What is the best kind, and how do I judge her diet. She is an American Eskimo, bulldog, shar pei mix. I want to keep her healthy so I want to know is there a specific food I should be buying for her?

Thanks,
Cleo

:D

Guest Anonymous

I will get the pictures to you guys as soon as I can. Tulip is doing awesome but she really won't eat. Also, she has diarreha but otherwise she is pretty good. she will eat soft food, but is that bad to have all the time? i think that is what is giving her diarreha. any advice?

now, this is just me, and some will disagree, but I have always fed my (numerous) dogs a mix of good dry food, and a little wet. The wet provides enough fat to keep their coats nice, and makes the dry taste more like meat. I use Purina Lamb and Rice dry, and it has worked wonderfully on both my dogs. Sometimes, though you just have to test difffernt foods until you find one the dog gets along well with. Mixes tend to be less fussy about their food then purebreds (as far as health issues goes) and I have found this food makes their coats glossym stools are firm and they really enjoy eating it. You could also try (because of the diareah problem) dry mixed with just a tiny bit of cheese. Cheese is a natural constipator (take it from someone who KNOWS.... :lol: ) and that might help get the pup used to the new food. Once settled, introduce some canned for good coat.

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone,

Just want to keep you updated on Tulip, she is doing absolutley awesome. I took her to the vet for her diarreha and he gave her Panacur for Giardia. She is all good to go now. She is eating hard food and is having reg. stools. This dog fits perfectly in our home and she is a joy. Thanks for all your help and all your advice.

Cleo :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Now this is my 2 cents and I'm probably alienating myself here but I love Ori Peis. They are beautiful, smart... I understand the whole shelter thing... I am very active in my local shelter and foster cats for them. I did a lot of research on ori peis and the reason they began is due to a woman's love for Sharpeis but wanted one without all the health issues. As a matter of fact, there are maby clubs and organizations who recognize the ori pei as a seperate breed and the AKC is looking into it. As I said before, I truly believe in adopting from the shelters, but I think it is wrong and rude to try to pressure someone from getting a dog of their choising just because you feel it is wrong.

Please do show me documentation from the AKC about how they are thinking about recognizing the Ori Pei. I'd really love to see that. They are a mix breed, same as the Cockapoo, and I don't see the AKC rushing to recognize those mixed breeds, so why would this one be any different? There are many independent clubs and organizations that recognize just about any mix as a breed, just because they do so, doesn't mean that they actually are breeds.

[quote]Quote:
Don't let pedigree snobs discourage you from pursuing an "ori-pei"[quote]

OK I know this thread is old, but I cant help but saying...

I have one of each - A purebred and a mix...does that make me a "1/2 snob"?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/quote]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I am still hunting on petfinder for yet another dog. My parents have fell in love with tulip and I am moving into my own house in July. I am still doing research on the ori-pei, but will utimatley get a dog from a rescue or shelter. My parents get to keep tulip so I guess saving another dog is not so bad.

cleo :angel:

Guest Anonymous

I have an ori-pei - he is going to be 4 in august. he has severe allergies. when he was about 2yrs old we noticed he wasent using one of his legs - found out he had a luxating patella. He had surgery for that.. He has many problems I love him and will do anything for him...

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']Why are you bringing up such an old thread? And you can say it as much as you want but the "ori-pei" is NOT a breed. It is a crossbreed, no better then any other cross breed out there because it has a fancy name.[/quote]
OMG this is an old thread! Woops! Thank God you posted, because I had written a VERY VERY VEERY long post starting with the origin of the dog and its uses and why we don't need any new breeds in this present day and age since we don't have any uses for them (unless you work with flocks or the disabled and require specific traits/looks) and it had gotten erased and I was very upset that I wasted 10 minutes of my time for something that wouldn't be useful anyway. Now I don't have to feel bad since it wouldn't have been of any use anyway. :)

But really, WHY do people need new breeds nowadays? Why not perserve the breeds we have? I don't get all this cockapoo/labradoodle/orei pei/Foo Foo fluff stuff. And whyyyyyy not choose more dignified names for them, please? :roll: