Dogomania

pet shop lawsuit

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Getting back to Pet shops and puppy mills...I have initiated a class action lawsuit against a local pet shop here in south florida. I ( and 100 others) was sold a genetically sick yellow Labrador, named Mickey. He was born with elbow dysplasia, hip dysplasia, enamel hypoplasia, and an impacted canine tooth...all genetic. My attorney and I are attempting to receive not only restitution for the medical bills, but to close the doors of this shop. after we are successful with this, it's on to the next shop until they are all closed. I would also like to see some kind of legislation to protect puppies ..if only pet shop owners would have to only buy from certified breeders that do testing for genetic deficiencies, it would make it a much better place....We are working on that too...Also, vets need to be held accountable for passing off sick puppies as being well..when in fact many of them are not. This is nothing more than a money making disgusting business at the expence of innocent animals.
[url]http://members.tripod.com/~webster2/meetmickey/index.html[/url]

Guest Anonymous

so, how do we crack down on puppy mills? I want to help and be a part of doing something to help those puppies. Is the answer legislation to regulate puppy mills? I hate the conditions that I know exist...but how do we stop it? Just not buying from a pet shop isn't going to do it. There must be another way.. any suggestions?

I have a confession to make. Lucky is from a pet shop. We'd had dogs before but they were all given to us or adopted. My parents didn't know any better and I was 9. We had been looking for a dog for a while so it wasen't really an impulse buy, but I will never get another dog from a pet shop. Although I have no complaints about him, he's SO smart, no health problems in 6 years, awesome temperment, I met another border collie/golden retriever mix from the same pet shop and probably related to Lucky, nine months old with horrible hips and was aggressive. My friend's sister bought a "shih-poo" not long ago from this same pet shop that bit a child.

Education may be the key, but if people don't care enough to keep the dog for its entire life and only got a dog for their kid they probably won't care where it came from either. :(

[quote name='Lucky Chaos']I have a confession to make. Lucky is from a pet shop. [/quote]

I guess I must confess, too, but two of mine are from pet shops. Not only that, I bought them both with the intention of breeding them. Of course, this was many years ago, back when I thought that spending several hundred dollars was a guarantee that I was getting a "good" dog. What I got were allergies, bad skin, rotten temperament and, now that I'm older and better researched, a poor example of breed conformation, all other issues aside.

I had every intention of breeding this bitch to the male I also bought at another pet store. Thank the powers that be that I learned what I know now.

Still, I don't hold the pet stores accountable for my impulse buys (went to the mall for something else and came out with a puppy, no research, no nothing... was just an impulse buy because it was my gee golly favorite breed and she was just so gosh darned cute). While I do agree that what they do is deplorable, they are simply filling a demand. People want what they want and they want it now. I hold myself accountable for not having done my own research. I don't consider myself a victim of the pet store, but rather a victim of my own negligence and failure to do my own research. After all, the information is out there. Just because it doesn't fall in someone's lap doesn't make them an innocent victim. Then again, I'm a huge proponent of personal accountability. Sometimes ya just gotta learn the hard way. There is education galore available out there. People just need to look. I did and anyone else can. I lost a ton of money and got a "lemon" of a dog (I love her, though!), but I used it as a personal growth experience rather than blaming the pet store for MY impulse.

I think the way to shut these people down is to simply stop providing the demand; then the supply will automatically have to end, or be seriously cut. Mills wouldn't be able to stay in business if pet stores didn't provide such a huge venue and pet stores couldn't be that venue if consumers weren't so demanding ("I want it and I want it now!").

I know both sides of this issue... pet store impulse buyer and now rescuer. It's just a hard pill for me to swallow every time I see someone say they are suing someone else because they simply weren't aware of the risks involved with a decision they made. I believe that if someone truly wanted others to learn from their mistake, more energy should go into educating others and spreading the word and getting involved in rescue rather than settling it in a court room. To me, all that does is reward bad decision making and teaches no one anything. Where's the education?

Sorry if it's not the popular opinion.

the only way you can fight puppy mills is to take away the demand they fill on the market. if there is no demand, there is no profit to be made.

and don't let yourself be fooled by people like the hunte corporation, probably the largest puppy broker in the US. they can vet and groom and care all they want, the puppies they buy (usually by the litter, "breeders" bring in the litter, hunte employees "grade" them like eggs and then tell the breeder how much he gets for each animal), and then load onto their trucks still come from puppy mill operations.

as someone said earlier in this thread, a reputable breeder will [b]never[/b] sell a dog to a pet store, because he'll want to check out prospective buyers to make sure the puppies get the best possible home and don't get dumped at a shelter once the novelty has worn off and people can't be bothered with proper training.

each puppy bought from a pet store, no matter for what reason, puts money into the pockets of these creeps. even if a puppy is bought to "rescue" it from its miserable life in a pet store cage.

personally i do not buy anything at pet stores anymore that sell puppies and kittens. the place i usually shop at only carries food and supplies for [b]any[/b] kind of pets, but no live animals at all, not even fish.

i've gotten dirty looks from several people already when i was looking for harder to find things my regular place doesn't carry but turned around and walked out as soon as i saw cats or dogs for sale. usually i say nothing, but if asked i just politely say that i do not shop at stores that sell puppies and kittens.

:Dog_run:

Re-Run came from a puppy store but only after talking with three different shelters and waiting for two months. I needed a small dog and all the shelters had large dogs. I even had one shelter make a few calls to other shelters and told them call me if anything comes in. I didn't care qwhat kind of dog it was. Well on our way home from one of the shelters we stopped at a pet store and there was Re-Run. I'll never forget the first time he looked at me, it truely was love at first sight.

He does have issues, fortunately behavior which we have been working on, but no health issues. I'm told by other Schipperke owners that he is a typical Schipperke and they do bark alot, that's part of their job and they are very protective. Especially his favorite toy, my car.

My last dog was a shelter dog and my next dog will probably be a shelter dog but I am still on the list for a small dog and so far (16 months later), no small dogs available. :cry: The store where we got Re-Run is now CLOSED :D

I also thought it was neat, we have a store in the area that only sells mixed breeds, they refuse any purebred dogs. And you can only donate one litter of puppies ever.

Paula & Re-Run